Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HiY'all! Been lurking, but not posting. Now I need advice and help.

Got snookered into cooking for Young Son's Cub Scout Blue and Gold Banquet.  One Dad, who got a Weber smoker for Christmas (Poor guy), apparently, decided he was Dr. BBQ and volunteered to make pulled pork for the dinner.   Well, this was a disaster in the making.  First he decided that 50 Lbs of uncooked butt was enough to feed 100 people. Then he complained that he couldn't get it at a reasonable cost.  Then a local store put butts on sale for 99 cents a pound, but wouldn't wave the "2 butts maximum" for purchasing.  The Dad wouldn't believe  me that we'd need like 85 Lbs of uncooked butt to feed 100 people, but we managed to scrounge up something like  75 Lbs, cooked, after I spend all day tomorrow cooking up two more.

So, how can we stretch this?  We're Yankees and not a lot of people put cole slaw on their sandwich, although we will have that.  And how much Coke do I put in the crock pots to keep moisture in the pork?

Plus, if any of you have an extra crock pot we could use, that'd be appreciated, too.  LOL!  I'm not sure we have enough.

I need to guide these newbies gently...

Comments

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156

75 cooked should be fine.  .5/person will give you enough for 150...

Put it in crocks on warm or low, and just give it a glass of coke if it starts to dry out.  Don't sweat it.

Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    You quantities show been fine. By my calculations you should need about 68lbs. 100 people x .67lbs each.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited February 2014
    Hey Kelly, my man! Long time no chat! Still commuting to Columbia? As for the amount of Coke I typically use one 12 oz can per 4 to 5 pounds of pulled pork. Your young egger is growing up fast isn't he? Ron
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I have cooked many times for our B&G banquet. Remember 1/3 of your eaters are kids and you can likely count on 1/4lb per person average. For 100 people you need roughly 25-30lbs of cooked meat and therefore 50lbs of raw.

You want to add just enough coke to keep it moist while reheating. I would add the pulled pork to larger foil pans, add the coke, cover tightly with foild and reheat in an oven. You can split up the meat between 3-4 foil pans to keep just enough out and keep the rest warm.

I do have one other idea for you. Give me you number (you can email me at geneandtania@bellsouth.net) and we can talk.

Gene

• Coke? Learn something new every day...I always use applejuice.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Coke? Learn something new every day...I always use applejuice.

As I understand it, Coca-Cola has been a restaurant owners trick for years! I know it works for me! Just make sure it is the original and not the diet, nor any of that flavored stuff. And no, Pepsi will not work. Some folks like Dr. Pepper, but that seems to be more of a regional taste. The one trick to remember is to not tell your guests in advance as they get this preconceived notion that the Coke will make it taste sweet or funny or whatever! Just use it and learn to accept the accolades with a smile!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    edited February 2014
    Amazing...my wife swears that regular coke warm is good for an upset stomach...something about the syrup. ..seems to work... I'll try it next time.

I did use Dr pepper in that ham glaze a few months ago...it was a hit.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    edited February 2014
    With the vast array of smokers that are available (good and bad), "poor guy" speaks volumes about your experience when referring to a Weber smoker. Guide those newbies.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Hi Ya'll!

Well, I think with the 13 pounds I have going now we'll be alright at far as quantity goes.  I plan on taking off work Thursday at noon to re-heat. (And as is its been going I'll probably end up re-heating everyone's stuff, despite this is not MY cook.  Ye-ha!)

I was worried about the total amount of cooked PP since we have some real chow hounds in this Cub Scout Troop, plus, while though kids tend to eat less, they have bigger eyes them stomachs when making sandwiches, which leads to wastage.  I just haven't had to make PP for so many before.  Whole hogs, yes.  PP, no.

Yes, Ron, young son is growing up very quickly.  He's 10 now, which is "fun" for a soon to be a 56 year old first time Dad.  He's already had his first BGE cook.  Nothing fancy, a Scout Hobo Dinner, but he did pretty good considering all Dad here did was make the fire.

We need to do that again, soon.  It was pretty good.  He did the timing and turning all by his lonesome.

Guess I need to rehabilitate the Mini so he'll have an Egg all his own!

Thanks for the advice Gang!!
  • You could premake the sandwiches and wrap in foil sheets. This would cut down on waste and control the portions