Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Confession Time: How much has the BGE really cost you?

Comments

• Egg-600 (got it at mountain eggfest)
    Platesetter-60
    Looftlighter - 60
    Table- 175 (built myself)
    Various utensils - 60
    Cast iron half moon - 50
    Indirect raised grid- 25 (ebay)
    Pizza kit-40
    Maverick- 60
    I'm not feeling to bad after seeing some of my totals, although I still get strange looks when people find out how much the egg is.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I think including cost of lump not necessary. That's fuel and that money would be spent regardless if it was on electric for a stove, propane for stove or bbq, charcoal for bbq, etc.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    XL for 950. a adjustable rack and woo setup for 250. With a few cooking tools. And you have a super nice set for about 1300.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    I'm pushing 3K. Crazy. But the best I've ever spent. How many times in the last 14 months have I gone "I can't believe I spent $x on this"? Like my Thermapen or Pitmaster or even the cover. Crazy.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Investment, oh about $4K, on the other hand will depreciate much slower than the metal rigs.  Food wise, probably actually eating more healthy with the Egg.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Zuma
    Zuma Posts: 50
    I'm yet to tally it all up but.....Bought a large.....made a cedar table....bought a small.....made a small table.   Looflighter/plate setters/ etc. etc. etc.     Over 5 years in now.   My wife said when she puts on 15 lbs cuz of the egg, we are getting rid of it.    That was 25 lbs ago and we still have both eggs.  Probably thousands of dollars though but I'm all good with it.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Probably about $2500 counting all equipment.  I have no clue how much I have spent on lump, spices, and other "disposables"

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

No way to tell......but think of all the money I have SAVED by learning to cook, cook in bulk, and stay home.  The alternative--eating out several times a week--and/or going for expensive steaks at fancy restaurants, would cost far more in the long run over my lifetime, right?  Who knows, don't care, the BGE's were worth every penny either way.

But the BGE did get me into the charcoal business, so here's about $50K worth in one corner of the warehouse.  Investment or just an excuse to feed all my BGE's????? Hmmmmmm.   :-?

• No way to tell......but think of all the money I have SAVED by learning to cook, cook in bulk, and stay home.  The alternative--eating out several times a week--and/or going for expensive steaks at fancy restaurants, would cost far more in the long run over my lifetime, right?  Who knows, don't care, the BGE's were worth every penny either way.

But the BGE did get me into the charcoal business, so here's about $50K worth in one corner of the warehouse.  Investment or just an excuse to feed all my BGE's????? Hmmmmmm.   :-?

Looked up Rockwood on line.  Looks like a decent deal.  Tell me, why can't it be shipped to Kalifornia.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

No way to tell......but think of all the money I have SAVED by learning to cook, cook in bulk, and stay home.  The alternative--eating out several times a week--and/or going for expensive steaks at fancy restaurants, would cost far more in the long run over my lifetime, right?  Who knows, don't care, the BGE's were worth every penny either way.

Looked up Rockwood on line.  Looks like a decent deal.  Tell me, why can't it be shipped to Kalifornia.

Prop 67
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited February 2014

Prop 65......sorry.

Here's an explanation from a few months back:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1457203/#Comment_1457203

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I learned a long time ago not to keep track of the costs associated with my hobbies. It just upsets me and takes away from the fun.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    $3000+
    Don't really want to know but I have no regrets and the wife is happy, happy,happy.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    4 large @ $ 5,200
    1 XL     @ $1,499
    1 Med  @   $999
    1 Sm    @   $799
    CGS     @ $800
    DigiQ    @ 750
    Tbl        @1,500
    Lump    @6,750
    Tpens   @500
    Other    @2,000
    Fests    @20,000
    Bomba  @5,000

Would I take the money back....No way
    Dude, Who do you cook for? The RCMP's??
    Milton, GA.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Man.....I'm way down the list.  A large Egg sans the nest and all the "extras," built my own table, bought a two-tier from CGW, a rib rack.  Spices/rubs and lump I'm not going to count because I'd have been buying propane or smoker wood anyway and the same with the rubs.

Maybe a little over $1K? 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I got my large for 700 new and I bought a plate setter for 80. That's it. I assume you aren't counting lump?
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Agree with @Terrebandit, I don't want to know how much I've spent on the Egg, Aviation, or guns. If my wife knew, she would use one of my guns to shoot me, cremate me in the egg, and spread my ashes from the plane. :))

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    If I include the new patio to put the Large Egg on, all the Eggcessories (Ove Gloves, pizza stones, shrimp cooker, CI pans/flat tops, tongs, Patio containers to keep all the Egg stuff in. lighters, pizza pans, raised grid, cake pans, foil drip pans, pizza pans (I have multiple - CI, stone, and blue steel seasoned), grill tools, pizza peel, gloves for handling lump, oil and paper towels and a container to keep them in, BGE S/P shakers, cover, wood chips/chunks, Dutch Oven, etc...etc...etc..) and don't forget the BugASalt gun, I'm in for about $10K.  Plus meat and lump.  But I don't eat out near as much as I used to. 
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited February 2014
    If I include the new patio to put the Large Egg on, all the Eggcessories (Ove Gloves, pizza stones, shrimp cooker, CI pans/flat tops, tongs, Patio containers to keep all the Egg stuff in. lighters, pizza pans, raised grid, cake pans, foil drip pans, pizza pans (I have multiple - CI, stone, and blue steel seasoned), grill tools, pizza peel, gloves for handling lump, oil and paper towels and a container to keep them in, BGE S/P shakers, cover, wood chips/chunks, Dutch Oven, etc...etc...etc..) and don't forget the BugASalt gun, I'm in for about $10K.  Plus meat and lump.  But I don't eat out near as much as I used to. 
    Beautiful patio!! Your gasser looks so lonely!! Did someone say blue steel??????????

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy said:
    Beautiful patio!! Your gasser looks so lonely!! Did someone say blue steel??????????

I used to have a few guns but they are all illegal now

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    cazzy said:

http://detroitstylepizza.co/detroit-style-pizza-pans/   Pre seasoned blue steel pans - great for deep dish pizza.   Gasser is now reporposed into a cover for the Lodge Hibachi for searing. 
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    cazzy said:

Do what?

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Tjcoley said:

Nice patio...and i wouldn't mess with that security guard...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • I tend to put it all in the realm of BBQ cost over just the five eggs. Luckily since this is an egg forum, I don't have to admit to the other cookers that I have at my house, and the others stashed at friends and family so I have the gear I need when they make me cook. Don't tell my wife but I think I'm easily at $7000+ over the last five years. It's a damn shame. It's been fun though.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Over the past few years I've spent about 2% of what I have spent on Federal, State, property, personal property and sales tax. I get a lot more enjoyment from my Egging!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Hello My name is Jim and I have a problem!

I have a Big Green Egg addiction!

I'm constantly thinking about how I can get another BGE, what meal I can cook next, how will I get the deal on the best lump, where will I get the money for my next Ceramic grill store order, when is the next BGE Fest and it just goes on and on.

I can't add up all the $$$$$$$$$$ I spent on Egging but money well spent.

Happy Egging, Jupiter Jim

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    Let's not forget the cause and effect to others.  I have few friends who are now thinking of getting their own egg. 
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • I assume this is Egg and Eggcessories only and does not include Rubs, spices, sauces
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Wow, it adds up quick. I'm a little over a year in with a Lg and have approx. $1,700 just in equipment and want to add to add a PSWOO2. Another off set to the expense for me is time savings, including sleep for over night cooks, compared to what it takes to man an off-set stick burner.