Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Confession Time: How much has the BGE really cost you?

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    caliking said:

@cazzy - Does the new patio I had put in for the eggs count as an eggcessory? 

Would you have put it in if you didn't own your eggs? If so, then nah.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited February 2014
    4 large @ $ 5,200
    1 XL     @ $1,499
    1 Med  @   $999
    1 Sm    @   $799
    CGS     @ $800
    DigiQ    @ 750
    Tbl        @1,500
    Lump    @6,750
    Tpens   @500
    Other    @2,000
    Fests    @20,000
    Bomba  @5,000

Would I take the money back....No way

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Another thing I consider, I have had my egg for a year now and it's great condition-wise, my brinkmann gaser rotted out in about 3 years and cost approx $450. That's another $450+ saved every 3 years.
  • cazzy

4 large @ $1,299
    1 XL     @ $1,499
    1 Med  @   $999
    1 Sm    @   $799
    CGS     @ $800
    DigiQ    @ 750
    Tbl        @1,500
    Lump    @6,750
    Tpens   @500
    Other    @2,000
    Fests    @20,000
    Bomba  @5,000

Holy hell! I know that's not US...but wow! Damn straight...I have no probs at all spending that coin!
  • I believe I've eaten out, non lunch and travel about 20 times over 16 years though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    No, the patio happened because the eggs happened!

And don't believe LS's tally... who knows what loonies and toonies are really worth anyways?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy said:
    4 large @ $1,299
    1 XL     @ $1,499
    1 Med  @   $999
    1 Sm    @   $799
    CGS     @ $800
    DigiQ    @ 750
    Tbl        @1,500
    Lump    @6,750
    Tpens   @500
    Other    @2,000
    Fests    @20,000
    Bomba  @5,000

Holy hell! I know that's not US...but wow! Damn straight...I have no probs at all spending that coin!
    It's more than US if you add the 13% tax on most of it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Maybe you fellas should break the cost down by figuring it up during a several hundred year span and your Eggs be handed down several generations ... It might help put the numbers in your favor this way :D
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    With the eggs and all related eggcessories I'm somewhere North of $9000.00.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Just adding up the cost of toys and lump may not really be fair to the egg.  
    We can go to Costco/Sams and buy a whole tenderloin for under $100 and have multiple meals for that one purchase.  One meal for two, at a nice steak place,  would cost about the same.  
    Since getting the egg we don't eat out like we did, even after a long day we are more willing to light the egg and cook than go out.  Never was like that for the offset smoker...only used for week end cooks.
    So, as I figure it the egg has saved us money.  Now,  how is that for female logic?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    New pants....larger. $200 per month, each month. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Just adding up the cost of toys and lump may not really be fair to the egg.  
    We can go to Costco/Sams and buy a whole tenderloin for under $100 and have multiple meals for that one purchase.  One meal for two, at a nice steak place,  would cost about the same.  
    Since getting the egg we don't eat out like we did, even after a long day we are more willing to light the egg and cook than go out.  Never was like that for the offset smoker...only used for week end cooks.
    So, as I figure it the egg has saved us money.  Now,  how is that for female logic?

@grege345 - here is you explanation for all the recently discovered goodies

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    edited February 2014
    Large@ 850
    Table@ 300
    accessories@ 650
    Lump@ 400 (group buys of rockwood make eggin worth doin
    :D )

also adding a mini to the mix soon. plus building an egg carten myself so...
    Beaufort, SC
  • Can't put a price on happiness! Just can't. :-@
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Somewhere north of $2000
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    We've had our LBGE since 1998, however, in the last 11 months we have invested a litter over $1,000 in eggcessories. Money well spent IMHO. That doesn't include lump. I agree with flynnbob about money saved by not eating at a restaurant. Ever been to Ruths Chris? Dinner for 2 with wine is over $100. Great restaurant, but we can do better on the egg. Also, the smiles from friends and family that eat a meal you prepared for them on the egg - priceless.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • cazzy
    edited February 2014
    I wonder how much my friends, families, and neighbors have saved by me owning a egg. Hmmm. :-?
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Good point, cazzy.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • In terms or permanent equipment, I'm in for a large BGE, a table, a Digi-Q, a place setter, electric starter, Looftlighter, CI grill, a Thermapen, high-Q grate, an ash tool, a pizza stone, and a pair of grill mitts.  That's probably between two to three grand.  

I don't think that's unreasonable given how much enjoyment this thing has provided.  If I get close to how much I paid for my wife's ring, I might be in trouble. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I'm with @JohnInCarolina and its only goin to go up. New egg is in my future even if I have to sleep outside with it
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Probably between $2700-$3000. Not including the extra costs of food, trying new recipes, Oh and then there is the additional adult beverages, cigars, patio furniture. It is worth it for us, we really enjoy the journey.
    Now if I put a dollar amount on how much time I spend surfing the net and this forum for info and recipes and ideas. WHOA then the number would go way up.:)) But I don't regret it at all. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    I won't get into what my large and small have cost, not to mention accessories, but what I will comment on is the $ 700 or so I have spent so far on cooking at 2 egg fest events where a large was first prize. One more of those events and I could have just bought the second large outright, instead of trying to win one-  
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• cazzy
    allsid said:

I won't get into what my large and small have cost, not to mention accessories, but what I will comment on is the $ 700 or so I have spent so far on cooking at 2 egg fest events where a large was first prize. One more of those events and I could have just bought the second large outright, instead of trying to win one-  

Wow...you dropped a lot on cooking at the fest. I would probably put my cost at $100 for cooking and gas at Salado. Maybe I'm not doing enough lol
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    About $1000 so far, the large was a present so I don't count that as my money.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• nysportsfan
    nysportsfan Posts: 241
    edited February 2014
    Every time I read a post, I says, "Oh yeah, I have that." I got my egg four years ago and immediately spent $1,000. Then thermapen, extra grates, ceramic grill store, ash tool, cover (snowblowed it last week), cook book, utensils, homemade table, table cover, table nest, plate setter... Sheesh, people need to start buying the meat they eat. No more freebies! Edit: lets not forget the delic sliver I needed for the home made bacon I make because of the egg. Oh, and the vacuum sealer... Time to drink.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    4 large @ $ 5,200
    1 XL     @ $1,499
    1 Med  @   $999
    1 Sm    @   $799
    CGS     @ $800
    DigiQ    @ 750
    Tbl        @1,500
    Lump    @6,750
    Tpens   @500
    Other    @2,000
    Fests    @20,000
    Bomba  @5,000

Grilling out with family and friends=Priceless

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• cazzy said:

I wonder how much my friends, families, and neighbors have saved by me owning a egg. Hmmm. :-?

True dat...my friends have made out like fiends...no wonder they keep fanning the flames...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I broke my head...

Doing fine until I started to factor in the cigars, cigar accessories, bourbons, scotches, drinking glassware, stones, cube molds, Bose sounddock, Pandora, MLB Radio...

Wouldn't ask for it back if I could... the fun I've had so far cooking for family & friends, posting online about it, and having my balls busted over the use of #hashtags has certainly enriched my life since I got the egg
  • I'm at about the 6 month mark and I figure I am somewhere between 3500-4000. With just my xl...I see the point where the lump offsets the propane of the gasser...but I was using the gasser a couple times a week and rarely once it snowed...egg is hot 3-4 times a week regardless of the weather or temps. ..we are eating out a lot less tho.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • This could get a lot of us in trouble if the wives ever check our browser history and stumble upon this thread haha. I would have to say about $2000 on the high end for me and I am not ashamed, I admit I'm an egg addict!
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.