Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Galvanized Steel Bad In Egg???

I have made a raised grid with a Weber grate for my XL. It is one of the hinged grates. I have some small galvanized steel wire I was going to use to wire hinged grates shut. It would only be a very small amount but it seems like I read on some earlier post not to use galvanized stuff in cookers.

Thoughts?? Thanks!!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

·

Comments

• Galvanized metal puts off a poisonous gas when heated.Steel wire is readily available in different thicknesses.

I suppose after a while the galvanized coating & gas would burn off over time.

·
  • Or you could also get some stainless fender washers with short stainless bolts and lock it down in place.
    ·
  • I would stay away from galvanized steel. If you have ever been to a galvanizer you would know why
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Weber Performer.
    If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went
    ·
  • It may put off gas but not at egg temps. More like 1500 to 2000 degrees .
    Your safe man dont worry.
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
    ·
  • It may put off gas but not at egg temps. More like 1500 to 2000 degrees .
    Your safe man dont worry.
    I agree, seems we went thru this some time ago when using galvanized bolts to create a raised grid. @Corey24 - as long as you are not going nuclear for some 60 second pizza, you will be good. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Go to a local weld shop and ask if you can purchase a length of stainless steel welding rod.  It is used for heliarc.  If they do any TIG welding they will probably have it.  Get the lightest gauge they have if you are just going to use it to secure the grid.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    ·
  • corey24corey24 Posts: 318
    Thanks guys.....

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

·
  • Stainless will off gas more than galvy and at lower temps but somehow we feel safer with it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·