Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BUSTED!! I'm officially on Eggcessory probation :(

Like most I have accumulated a lot of stuff over the past year. As SWMBO was lurking out by "my area" her jaw dropped and said, "what is all this stuff and how much $ did all this cost". Like any grown man I lied and said not much. Didn't matter. She said I can't buy anything else for a while. Sad day in the poconos.
LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    OUCH!!!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    You should wait till she's in the closet and ask her how much all those clothes and shoes cost. Or buy her something then you are free to buy yourself something.
  • You need to up your game and simply respond with "less than a couple pairs of your shoes." That always works like a champ for me. Also responding with "You're asking about MY money, right? How much of MY money did I spend?" Crickets from SWMBO. You won't have sex for a couple of weeks, but at least you'll win the argument.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    No argument is that important.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Lol niiiiice! Time to take the wife on a mini shopping spree! That fixes everything!

Hide your stuff better!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Maybe you could try to bring her into the eggcult. Inoculate her with the "eggfever" and then, she will start finding eggcessories to spend money on. Show her which items you used to produce the mind-blowing meals you prepare for her. How can she resist?
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Her money is her money my money is our money. I can't be the only one that has heard this

• Just tell he you have had it for awhile and it was just in storage and you figured you would bring it out and cook her a nice meal. So it was all about her.
    Never works for me but it might work for you
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Just go and buy her favorite cut of meat for you. Cook it up and and start eating. When she asks where hers is, you reply with "just saving money dear". Then pick up your plate and make a run for safety.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Referring to your wife as SWMBO dictates that you deserve no less. Steal your pants from her and carry on.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • caliking
    @Hibby - your response demonstrates that you haven't been married long enough to learn. 

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Hibby said:
    Referring to your wife as SWMBO dictates that you deserve no less. Steal your pants from her and carry on.
    Pretty much sums it up.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • I've been saving for a while to get a new band saw. Decided yesterday to get a new pair of ski boots and blow my band saw savings. Wife was pissed even though it is my money. I my response:

1. it's my money
    2. I believe that we are spending $500 to have an Anniversary party for your parents.

Her response: silence
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Caliking, my upbringing, not marriage - taught me to not refer to my wife, daughter, mother in demeaning or disrespectful terms. 20+ years of marriage has taught me the rewards of refraining from it.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • grege345
    I need leverage like that @cortguitarman

• grege345 said:

I need leverage like that @cortguitarman

Yeah, without that leverage I would've had nothing except I'm investing in new ski equipment so I can take the kids skiing. Family time trumps expensive things.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Any leverage will cost you more than you will spend even in the BGE toys world.  Can't win especially when the conversation starts with "Guess how much I saved..."  and ends with "How much did you spend to save what..."  and it's all downhill from there.   :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Try this...I could've tucked the money in the G String of a stripper but instead elected to spend it on things to help me feed you delicious food.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • grege345
    I try not to bring up strippers. Don't wanna slip up

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I placed flowers in the egg when coming home with the small. How could she say no?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    edited February 2014
    Hibby - Good grief, man. It's not demeaning. Pick your knuckles up off the ground.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    We have these conversations often. In fact, I have so much experience defending why my purchases are necessary, I could be a very successful defense attorney.

The latest tip in my favor is that her car costs about twice as much as mine does. Yeah...I know, not completely fair but it works. She got a shopping spree when we went to NYC so all will be well for many months. Right now, I'm trying to justify why I need a decked out iMac over a Mac Mini. Oh, I also need two mini eggs for our house and her father's house. Lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited February 2014

Do even slow down, if she sees something new just tell you had that since the beginning, you just never used it. Lie, basically.   :^o     8-|  Then duck.

Myself, I would stay far away from even mentioning strippers. No sense opening that can of worms.

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited February 2014
    Mention the strippers. Throw her off by hiding in plain sight. :D
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Hibby said:
    Have to agree 100%, sorry.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • smchan
    smchan Posts: 14
    My wife and I have blow money budgeted.  We get equal amounts and it's no questions asked as to what it's spent on - as long as it doesn't result in an ongoing liability or expense.   I had a tendency to say "no" to most requests.   Now it's stress free for both of us because she knows what she can/cannot do, and I know exactly what we're spending on a monthly basis. 

Anniversary is next month.   She knows I want a BGE BBQ Guru (or equivalent) and asked if she could buy me one as a gift.   Between that and the fact that she's a redhead - she's a keeper.  :-)  She loves it when I cook, as well, for obvious reasons.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @smchan-a bit of a thread hijack-Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Quite a congregation here...Ask and you will receive many answers, the great majority of which will work.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • A lot of this advice sounds like the beginning of "and then the fight started"
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    smchan said:

My wife and I have blow money budgeted.  We get equal amounts and it's no questions asked as to what it's spent on - as long as it doesn't result in an ongoing liability or expense.   I had a tendency to say "no" to most requests.   Now it's stress free for both of us because she knows what she can/cannot do, and I know exactly what we're spending on a monthly basis. 

Anniversary is next month.   She knows I want a BGE BBQ Guru (or equivalent) and asked if she could buy me one as a gift.   Between that and the fact that she's a redhead - she's a keeper.  :-)  She loves it when I cook, as well, for obvious reasons.  

Great first post!
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC