Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Confession Time: How much has the BGE really cost you?

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
Greg's busted thread got me thinking...how much has the egg really set me back?

I know we had the "how much did your egg cost" thread and it was a pretty involved thread. The only thing I excluded was lump and meat. I should include my "Nokia Razr", but I likely would have bought one regardless. As most of you have, I have bought several of the cool trendy items most of the folks have. I also acknowledged before that I have a rub and sauce addiction...which didn't happen until the egg.

This may make your wife's back off, so feel free to use the "you think I'm bad honey, look at cazzy's number" line. :P

The BGE has really cost me around $5700-$6000 =))
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yeah, started going down this path, and decided I didn't want to know and stopped adding up when I got to $2500 in my head.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    Options
    Finish the calculation...it will be fun and we're all right there with you!!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm too scared to play.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Come on cali...don't be scared! The money is long gone by now!!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    $3500+ and counting and only a single Large BGE.  Should have just hired a chef to cook - might have been cheaper 

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    Yeah it's funny, you look at the price of a new LBGE and you see $850, then you add up all the things necessary to really get the absolute best usage from it and before you know it you got another $850 invested. Not complaining, still the best $1700 I ever spent doing something I love.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • cazzy
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I'm already closer to the top end of my calculation cause I forgot my Thermapen and Maverick. :P
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Can't even say. Never considered lump because I'd need propane or NG to cook on a gasser. If I tally up everything, probably around $3000 excluding lump and food. I need fuel to cool regardless of the vessel, and I need food to maintain my shape...round.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cazzy
    Options
    There you go fellas! This is a safe place haha

Feels kind of good to see we're all in the same boat huh????
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    But the food you get to cook on it is priceless.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    If I include lump, probably around $5000 because I've done 3 bulk buys at $1000 each. Those were split among other eggers.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I figure with the 2 eggs,accessories, spices and the lump that I have bought in the last year that I am in for about $3000. Not nearly what I expected. Don't even want to know how much I have spent on booze since starting this venture!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    I figure with the 2 eggs,accessories, spices and the lump that I have bought in the last year that I am in for about $3000. Not nearly what I expected. Don't even want to know how much I have spent on booze since starting this venture!!!

I didn't even take that into consideration! Oh my, my calculations are way off!
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • cazzy
    Options
    John, Cali & DMW....we're waiting! :D
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Might need to wait til the weather warms up later this week. I know there's stuff in my deck box I would forget.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Oh crap, forgot the table. There's another $500.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    $1700 or so large and mini, with eggsories. I am under 2 yrs in though.
    Seattle, WA
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    I'm probably around $2500 with my large but only 2 years in.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • cazzy
    edited February 2014
    Options
    This month is my 2 year eggversary!! :P

My wallet has been very light the last two years, but the purchases have stopped. I now make my own rub so I won't replace the rub I once used to buy.
  • wallyjar
    wallyjar Posts: 123
    Options
    Large, medium, table, looflight, temperature control, platesetters, pizza stones, outdoor kitchen built, sink, hot water, electricity to kitchen, Induction burner, pans that work on induction burner, artificial grass around area. Flagstone patio, pergola.

I DO NOT WANT TO KNOW.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    I am around $2,500 in equipment but I have saved a fortune by not going out to eat so I am a net positive.
    Milton, GA.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Good point flynn
  • cazzy
    Options
    wallyjar said:

Large, medium, table, looflight, temperature control, platesetters, pizza stones, outdoor kitchen built, sink, hot water, electricity to kitchen, Induction burner, pans that work on induction burner, artificial grass around area. Flagstone patio, pergola.

I DO NOT WANT TO KNOW.
    Wally...you're making me sad. You're probably the only one so far that could make me feel a lil better today. Haha
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    The cost of egging is like the cost of beer you can't put a price on happiness
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2014
    Options
    The cost of a MBGE (setter and CI included) and egg related add ons (Thermapen, Maverick, swing rack, extender rack) has only been a touch over $1000. 
    The other costs are what really adds up. Booze alone has increased by over $2000 a year, have to drink something while reading this forum. At least $1000 spent each year on rubs and sauces I had never heard of and just had to try after reading about how good they are in this forum has resulted in a pantry that rivals a Dizzy Pig ware house. Although I will use it all someday, currently I have five different brands of lump stored in the garage that have cost me over $500 with at least three other brands I'm still keeping my eye open for because some one posted how good it was. Grocery budget is now enough for a family of 5 even though there are only two of us. So many great posts of cooks, I find myself looking for cuts of meat I don't really need and have no idea what to do with but want to try some new recipe that caught my eye here. 
    Further to BBQ, thanks to the modernist element here, I've invested over $300 in a trés booblay machine. SWMBO just shakes her head and feels the addiction is harmless and it does keep me from wandering off into traffic. 
    On second thought it wasn't the egg that caused all the extra costs, it is this damn place.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    $2500 for a medium and XL, stoker, platesetters, and an auber stoker - my set up is basic. I agree the money being saved offsets the money spent.
  • cazzy
    Options
    BYS1981 said:

$2500 for a medium and XL, stoker, platesetters, and an auber stoker - my set up is basic. I agree the money being saved offsets the money spent.

So you have a Rock's Bar-B-Que Stoker and the Auber equivalent? If so, which one do you like better?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @cazzy - Does the new patio I had put in for the eggs count as an eggcessory? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    cazzy said:

BYS1981 said:

So you have a Rock's Bar-B-Que Stoker and the Auber equivalent? If so, which one do you like better?
    No, I only have the Auber. It's extremely basic, won't get the egg up to temperature without overshooting, but once I have it to temp it will hold temp like a champ.