Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Increase

Options
Last night during a cook my grill temperature slowly increased. I was trying to stay at 275 and it rose to 314 throughout the cook. I used my maverick so I am reasonably confident it was a correct reading. I am new to the Egg and thought it was supposed to hold steady. More curious than anything my rib roast was outstanding.

Comments

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    They can creep up depending on lump size, wind, grease, lots of stuff.  How long did this rise take?
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • KRSIIII
    Options
    Two hours. Used plate setter and had grease pan.
  • HuskerInTexas
    Options
    It can take a while to stabilize....up to 30/45 minutes from my experience, particularly for lower temps (below 300). Very minor adjustments will fluctuate the temperature. After some time you'll get the hang of it and be able to set the vents to get your desired temp pretty quickly. The egg does hold the temp very good.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    edited February 2014
    Options
    And if it drives you nuts like it did me when I first started, look into a controller...I have a cyberQ wifi and like it but I wanted the benefits of controlling remotely...There are a lot of good ones... I've gotten a lot better at it now...so i only get the controller out for the longer cooks.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...