Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

90 - 30 - 30 - 30 Babybacks

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hope everyone is having a great weekend. [p]I needed to cut some corners timewise today, so I tried some new stuff. I finally got to try ribs, with a little bit of foil action. A variatin of Gfw's technique.[p]This morning I decided to do some babycaks, and pulled a vacuum sealed slab out of the freezer, and set it in lukewarm water. 1 hour later it was thawed, and I slathered on some mustard, and threw together a rub (Turbinado sugar, paprika, black pepper, corriander seed, celery salt, galangal powder, toasted onion powder, cayenne, kosher salt. Covered the ribs with the rub and let sit wrapped at room temp for 2 hours.[p]Made up a sauce with sauteed onion/ginger, ketchup, hoisin, vinegar, pepper and some leftover rub.
I only had a three hour window to get the ribs done, so what better a time to try throwing some good ol heavy duty alunimum reynolds into the picture. As it was my first time with this interesting, but slightly controversial technique, I decided to give the shiny stuff only a small roll. In the end it was enough, and the results were fantastic![p]I fired up Mr. Big, and got temp stabilized about 300. Threw in a drip pan, and the BGE extended grate over top. Put the slab of babybacks on bone down and cooked at 300 without flipping for 1.5 hours. I wrapped in foil, and set back in the same place over the drip pan. (no water this time). After 30 minutes in the foil I unwrapped, and set back in the same spot. Brushed on the sauce. By this time internal had climbed to 350. Cooked about 30 minutes like this. Pulled out the drip pan and finished with 30 minutes of direct (on second level). I brushed on sauce for the first 10 minutes of the final 30. And let it caramelize the final 30 minutes, flipping every 10 minutes.[p]The results were great. The foil helped push it along, and though they weren't "fall-off-the-bone", the meat easily pulled from the bone.
Just over 3 hours, and great. Hope yall had a great weekend.[p]Ribs......good.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Nature Boy, isn't it fun to play? And you, I think more than anyone else, play with techniques that only benefit the rest of us. Thanks for the follow-up and have a great evening!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gfw,
    Thanks Gordon. You are the one who got me interested in giving the foil a shot, and Tim reinforced that the other day with his success. Amazing how much effect just 30 minutes in the foil has. Not only is it a great alternative when you need to get them done quicker, but there really is something to be said for the tenderness....even with just the 30 minutes. Nothing like having road-tested options in your bag when you need to whip something up in a pinch.[p]I still loved that show when the Iron Chef went into a random New York suburban kitchen, and cooked up a meal using only what that person happened to have in the house. Improvising is a blast.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ