Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

apple pie - baking pan or glass dish

GATABITES
GATABITES Posts: 1,260
Ok, I am ready to make my second attempt at apple pie today. 

Question:
Should i use a glass pyrex or a disposable aluminum baking pan in egg? Last time I used the aluminum and it came out fine. The last couple recipes I researched called for glass. 

Your help/advice is greatly appreciated. 
XL BGE 
Joe JR 
Baltimore, MD

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Glass will take longer to cook(doesn't reach temp as fast) but allows for radiant heat(metal and ceramic reflect it) It allows you to see how the crust is coming along, which is likely the biggest reason to use it.
  • GATABITES
    Will I have a problem with the glass breaking? Should i place the pie directly on the grate or should i place it directly on the baking stone?
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Just don't expose it to direct flame. Pie baking temps won't be an issue. I'd go PS legs up, grid, stone.
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Pyrex!!!!, came out incredible
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • GATABITES
    thats what i was thinking. I love the way the crust comes out when placing directly on the stone. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited February 2014

Do your pie indirect. Make sure you have no bad smoke.

My wife makes the best pies and I convinced her to let me cook one on the egg once. I have to say I may never do it again. The smoke taste was just to strong, and I like smoke. I'm sure if I had another chance and made sure the smoke was clear it would be good but trying to convince the one who builds the pie is another story.

Many have had success here though.

As far as the dish, indirect heat is just like oven heat, use the glass pyrex.

• GATABITES
    edited February 2014
    Alton said:
    Pyrex!!!!, came out incredible
    Damn! That looks so frigging good. What recipe did you use for the filling? How many/type of apples?

I forgot my icecream...... 
    :((
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATABITES

Do your pie indirect. Make sure you have no bad smoke.

My wife makes the best pies and I convinced her to let me cook one on the egg once. I have to say I may never do it again. The smoke taste was just to strong, and I like smoke. I'm sure if I had another chance and made sure the smoke was clear it would be good but trying to convince the one who builds the pie is another story.

Many have had success here though.

As far as the dish, indirect heat is just like oven heat, use the glass pyrex.

The last pie i made had a very very mild smoke flavor. Most didnt notice
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Alton
    No idea... Wife's family recipe... No smoking wood, but it did pick up a gentle smoke flavor in the crust...make sure your smoke is clear before you start ...good luck
  • GATABITES
    @alton did you place the pyrex direclty on the stone?
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Alton
    Yes
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567

I did my pie after a cook and I thought I burned off any drippings but I still got a bad taste. SWMBO won't let me stick another of her creations in the egg.

In this case it was operator error.