Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Searing a Rib Roast

KRSIIII
KRSIIII Posts: 19
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking my first rib roast on my egg. Who has reverse seared one? How high do I take the grill temp?

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited February 2014
    Never seared a prime rib, but I would suggest the reverse sear method. Get the egg stabilized between 300°-325°, cook the meat indirect until the IT hits 125°, pull it and let it rest under tented foil. Then crank the egg up to 700°. Let the grid (cast iron grid if you have it) get really hot and throw the meat back on there for about 45-60 seconds per side. Pull it and let it rest for 10-15 minutes. Let us know how it turns out. I'm interested.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Oops. Sorry I did mean reverse sear. Following Meatheads recipe from amazing ribs.
  • Chris_Wang
    Oh okay, cool! Looking forward to seeing the results.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris how long should I expect a 6 lb roast to take? I will use my maverick to monitor the temp.
  • Chris_Wang
    edited February 2014
    At that temp and size, anywhere from 40-60 minutes. But you're doing the right thing by cooking to temp not time.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Be careful, mine shot the fire up and it got messy. Not worth it in my opinion, almost lost my roast.
    Seattle, WA
  • I used a roasting pan, put the roast in a V-rack at 325. I also put small red potatoes in the bottom of the roasting pan. They turn out fantastic, the dripping fell onto the potatoes. Meat flavored taters, who doesn't like that? I think it will take a little longer than 40-60. Additionally, I used Oak chunks.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited February 2014

I don't think I would sear it.  I did a 3 lb rib roast last night, raised direct about 475 dome.  Took about 40 min or so (starting at 50 internal).  Once it starts hitting about 115, the temperature is rising fast.  I pulled at 125 and while the center was perfectly rare, some of the outer meat was a little more cooked than I might have liked.

I used enough s&p that a very nice crust formed on the outside.  I think searing would have made it too hard to hit the temp I wanted, and wouldn't have added to the crust of the meat.

Just my opinion.

Oh, and the roast was fantastic.  I love that cut.

NOLA
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    From my experience the sear can get pretty intense while trying to manage a large roast like that. I found out by accident that if you have a bone in roast that keeping the bones down and cranking the heat up to 550 or so for the last bit will start searing it plenty and you won't have to deal with the hassle of trying to flip the roast on each side and losing pieces of it to the fire.
    Dunedin, FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It will turn out great if you roast at 325 or so, but if you have time you can go even lower like meathead suggests (around 250).  

It can get a little scary during the direct portion.  It may flare up due to all that fat hitting the fire.  If you want to do it direct then just have some good gloves  and a couple of pairs of tongs ready. 

The sear is just to put a crust on the roast.  You should hit your target temp during the "roast" portion, and then and important step is to let the meat rest so that the temp stops climbing.  I also think it might be best to just  keep the dome open during the sear like meathead suggests.  Especially in the egg, when you close the dome it is like putting it in an oven. 

Next time I do one I am going to use my CI griddle for the sear portion.  Good luck!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Good feedback. I have great gloves. My plan was to cook at 275 for 20 minutes a pound and pull it at 110 for the reverse sear. Letting it rest before the sear is a great idea. Of course it sounds as if the risk reward for the reverse sear may be low.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

"Of course it sounds as if the risk reward for the reverse sear may be low."

I have reached that conclusion as well.  I have cooked this cut with the reverse sear for friends and family many times on holidays.  I learned to pull at about 110 to avoid overcooking during the sear.  I learned that during the sear the fat of the prime rib will catch fire and turn into a giant fireball with its own fuel source - but when you get it off the grill into cool air the fire will die out shortly thereafter.  However, one year I got tied up with good conversation and adult beverages and overshot the temp such that it was 122 in the coolest part of the meat.  I just pulled it at that temp and everybody agreed it was the best prime rib we have ever eaten.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• I meant reward is low.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2014
    I really enjoyed the one I cooked following meatheads method/recipe.  The cow crust is awesome- it is just  the direct portion that can be a little scary.  I didn't follow his instructions for trimming and making it round.  I just removed the bones (they were actually already cut and tied on from the store).  

I took this one to 130, let it rest a full hour, then seared.  Note the full hour was just for timing reasons...finished earlier than expected.  My wife likes it a little more towards the medium side of med-rare so I take it to 130.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Wow that looks delicious!!!
  • Smokey how long was the original cook. Having three other couples to dinner. Trying to gauge.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Oh man, looks great.
    Dunedin, FL
  • @SmokeyPitt has it right, IMHO. Roast at 250ºF, let the smoke and rub work some magic. I cook rib roasts with the cap and bones removed, it is tied round and an IT of 115º is hit usually within an hour, wether it is a 2 pounder or a 10 pounder. 
    If using a board dressing, I don't sear at all. A quick reverse sear, dome open, is the easiest way to get desired results. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • What is a board dressing?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited February 2014

I don't usually do an end sear. You get a fair bit of Maillard at the low temps. This is after removing the cap and bones. It's typically a 25 min/pound cook @ 250*

DSC_0008-2 photo DSC_0008-2-1.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• @KRSIIII Board dressing is just a mixture of herbs and spices mixed with oil (or some other liquid) that you spread on your cutting board and then carve your roast on top of. 
    Here is a good place to start:
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ahh. I often use a wet rub. I have been smoking and grilling for years just new to BGE. I came from a kettle and WSM.
  • Been on 45 minutes. Temp is 57. BGE has slowly risen. Why is it rising? I am up to 297? Is this due to a heat sink when I put the meat on?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    KRSIIII said:
    Been on 45 minutes. Temp is 57. BGE has slowly risen. Why is it rising? I am up to 297? Is this due to a heat sink when I put the meat on?

Probably

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Shut yer vents to the width of a quarter and wait. Nothing will cause any harm.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chris_Wang
    Looking forward to seeing the pics

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Can you use your Mapp torch to sear the outside? Any reason why the easy way won't work?
    Judy in San Diego
  • I will post pictures today. It was perfect!!!