Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to the forum

Hi all, I just received an egg for my birthday a few nights ago, just got it out of the box and set up.  However I have a question, attached is a picture.  I just want to make sure this is how the inside is supposed to look with a "crack" down the middle.  I mean it looks to perfect of a crack to be a defect.  Thanks

Also there are no seasoning instructions.... Does the egg need to be seasoned?

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• Hi and welcome to the forum.  The crack is supposed to be there; make sure it aligns with the vent to help with air circulation.  No need to season, fire that sucker up and get to grilling!
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    That's right.  That allows the ceramic to contract and expand, and also helps with airflow.  Make sure that side of the firebox is aligned with the opening at the bottom of your egg.

Your egg doesn't need to be seasoned - it will receive plenty of seasoning with use.

Welcome to the Egg world!
    NOLA
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Welcome and Congrats! Enjoy and pretty soon you will be obessed!!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Welcome to our world. Where are you?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yes, it needs to be seasoned ASAP. Here's how:

1) Filled with lump charcoal
    2) Light charcoal
    3) Insert platesetter if indirect cook and then cooking grid, otherwise just grid.
    4) Stabilize at desired cooking temp
    5) Put meat on and cook to desired doneness
    6) Eat

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Oh, and welcome to egging!

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Welcome to the madness!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Welcome and enjoy the ride!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. 

BTW-there are many web sites for info (besides this one). Here's a great intro and primer for all things ceramic:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm  And if you add "big green egg" to any google query you will get many options.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Remember that color of the firebox. You won't see it again. Welcome aboard and let us know how your cooks go. There are a lot of different ways to Egg, and almost all of them work. Don't hesitate to ask for advise.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Hi all, I just received an egg for my birthday a few nights ago, just got it out of the box and set up.  However I have a question, attached is a picture.  I just want to make sure this is how the inside is supposed to look with a "crack" down the middle.  I mean it looks to perfect of a crack to be a defect.  Thanks

Your crack is better than mine.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Welcome and make sure to ask for overtime at work. Your gonna need it.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Welcome aboard! Technically speaking that is not a crack, but a "kerf" made with a saw to ease tension caused by heat stress. Just the same it doesn't always work. Once this one split in two it has not had another crack in nearly 4 years of use.image
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Mickey said:
    Welcome to our world. Where are you?
    Thanks! I can't wait to try cooking on this thing, though I'm sure it will take a few cooks before I can figure out the temperatures...  I'm in kansas city... So I'm ready to BBQ!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Welcome to the forum.....sometimes it takes a while to read through all the great posts !!!!

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Welcome!  
    BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Welcome to the Carnage!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Welcome to the addiction. Happy egging!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Are we all comparing cracks now? ;) welcome to the cult!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Now buy a thermapen, so allur cooks are near perfect temps.
  • Hi all, I just received an egg for my birthday a few nights ago, just got it out of the box and set up.  However I have a question, attached is a picture.  I just want to make sure this is how the inside is supposed to look with a "crack" down the middle.  I mean it looks to perfect of a crack to be a defect.  Thanks

I think what you meant when you said "season the egg" is do you need to break it in so to speak. If so then all of the EGGsperts that I've talked to said to do your first 5 or so cooks less than 350 and you'll be good to go at whatever temp your hungry soul should desire! Enjoy and welcome to the gang!
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • Welcome, that is an eggcellent birthday present!
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208

Eggdiction is much stronger and greater than an addiction !

Well, you'll see what I mean.....

Welcome, again,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Welcome aboard.  You will find just about anything you need to know right here.  One pointer, make sure the dome is aligned with the base so you don't end up with an over or under bite.
    Milton, GA.
  • Welcome, the people here are great!
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Welcome! You're among friends here. All eager to help you along this journey.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Welcome. No place better to learn how to get over that learning curve. And remember to post pics of all your cooks.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Thanks for all the replies~  My first cook will be this week, so just verifying here, the crack in the egg needs to be aligned with the vent on the bottom.  Does is need to be aligned right over the vent, or aligned with the vent but at the back of the egg?  I've seen a lot of videos where people say a lot of the heat comes from the back of the egg, so wasn't sure if thats where I am supposed to put the crack of the inside of the egg at?

Thanks

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg