Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV Lamb Mechoui

Options
The SV adventures continue.

Decided to make Lamb Mechoui, a Moroccan/North African dish, using a boneless leg of lamb from Costco. Groceries included harissa paste, paprika, cumin, coriander, saffron, salt, pepper, Aleppo pepper, EVOO, and granulated garlic (since fresh garlic apparently doesn't do well in SV). Groceries:

The spice marinade/paste looked purty.

Loaded the lamb into the SVS Demi at 137°F for a 24hr  run. Mother-in-law isn't keen on med-rare, so I was shooting for a medium-ish IT.

Lit up the large tonight and threw on some zucchini which had marinated in Allegro Hot and spicy for a few hours. 

Bumped the temp up to about 400°F and finished the lamb. It broke apart into two hunks, which made it easier to handle on the grid. Grilled raised direct for 5 mins each side.

Plated with couscous which SWMBO made inside.

The verdict - the meat was tender, but seemed a bit dry. Maybe I was too aggressive with trimming the fat off. The spice paste was tasty, but i think it would have tasted better if I had done the whole cook on the egg. If I try this again, I won't leave it in the SV for so long. Lamb chops were deelish after 24hrs, so i thought it was worth a shot.The zucchini was great, so I will be trying the Allegro on other meats.  Everyone enjoyed dinner, so that's what counts most to me. :)

I want to try short ribs next, since it seems to lend itself to the SV process. 

Thanks for looking!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Very nice!  Lamb chops have more marbling than legs though, did you do the lamb chops at 137F too? I have a boneless lamb leg in the freezer, may try this some day.

Speaking of short ribs, I started my maiden short ribs voyage last night, planning on 133F for 72 hours. Simple S&P only; still have two days to figure out how to make the sauce with the SV juice.  MCAH recipe calls for 72 hours @ 144F but based on my searching in the interweb I think 144 is too high. My DIY SV is holding nicely @133, +/- 1F occasionally.
    canuckland
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I hate you!  You make my photos look like crap!! ;)  All kidding aside, that looks amazing!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Nicely done!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks, fellas.

@Canugghead - am I the only one who hasn't made SV short ribs yet? :) I've done lamb chops at 132 or so before, and the marbling sure did make a difference. I love your SV setup - will be waiting to see those short ribs.

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options

Amazing!

^:)^ ^:)^

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Looks terrific, @caliking! I've made Steven Raichlen's Mechoui of Lamb with Berber Spices before and it was really good. Your pix have me wanting to make it again! Nicely done, sir! And BTW, how's your new newest addition to the family doing? :)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @RAC - your hand healing ok?

@Dyal_SC - I think your cook was my inspiration. i couldn't find my Planet Barbecue book and the recipes I found online were not that impressive. Next time, I'm doing it all on the egg, using the Planet Barbecue version. 

The little man is doing great. He's quite a riot! :)