Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Calzones

Options
SmokingInMO
SmokingInMO Posts: 169
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing Calzones for the first time on the egg tonight, wish me luck. I will make sure and take some pics to post on here later tonight. If anyone has any last minute tips I would love to hear them.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    SmokingInMO,
    Make sure you have a good clean burning fire. Bread and smoke doesn't set well.[p]Mike

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    SmokingInMO,[p]have some kind of airspace between your stone or platesetter to keep from burning the crust. Good luck I want to hear how they turn out. Its next on my list.[p]Scott

• locolongball
    Options
    SmokingInMO,[p]Where is the pic you said you would post. I guess it either turned out really good, and you didn't have time for pics. Or, it was really bad and don't want to post them. Which one is it? Details, we need Details!
  • locolongball,[p]I am not SmokingInMO but we do calzones often as both appetizers and for a full meal. I like the traditional calzones and my wife likes the more American type of treat so I usually do two at a time with both recipes. I like mine stuffed with spinach which has been sauteed in olive oil and lots of garlic and then I add a blend of fresh grated Mozzarella and Provolone. I also make a red sauce to go with this treat. [p]Wife likes hers with Italian sausage, mushrooms, bell peppers and onions, pepperoni, and to hers, I add a blend of Mozzarella and Romano cheese. I also make a spaghetti type sauce for her treat. [p]16MVC-021E.jpg[p]We bake large calzones and each one will usually feed two people. This is what they look like on the cooker just before they came off.[p]19MVC-023E.jpg[p]This is the way we usually serve the calzones. [p]Dave

• locolongball
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]Looks pretty good! Any suggestions for making the dough?