Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - should i be pissed? (screwed on work incentive)

2»

Comments

• onedbguru said:
    henapple said:
    Not to be Debbie Downer but working for yourself might be worse.
    Having done both, having to pay 2x for FICA and Medicare (both employer and employee sides) and my own health care, vacation, sick leave and retirement can be great. On my current contract, I had the option of W2 or 1099.  I will make ~30-40% more on 1099 or C2C.   

When I first started doing Independent consulting, the first 2 two-week contracts NETed me almost 50% of my previous years salary. So, it can be nice depending on your chosen field of work.  The only advice I would give to someone thinking about doing it on their own - do NOT get behind on your quarterly/yearly tax payments.   My first year, I estimated/payed in $30K - I estimated $10k short.  Took a while, but finally got it payed off.  Always estimate high - 30-40% should be set aside for Obama to continue to wreak havoc on our economy.  You may get some of it back, but I wouldn't count on it.
    I am a corporate tax professional by trade....would love to know how receiving 1099 or C2C makes a difference to a IC when it is services that are being exchanged.....very interesting that who you worked for gave you the option of W2 vs. 1099.....if they give you a W-2 then they are on the hook for the 50% of the FICA and Medicare unless you had pricing scenarios to gross you up??  Really interested and sorry to take the thread OT....
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    You don't seem like you are trying to win any popularity contests; I respect that - make that money!  On the flip side, don't be surprised that the people you're not easy on try to better deal you for the nice guy.  This is the New America, Jack!  

Being able to hold hands and sing Kumbaya is way more important to your sales managers than driving the bottom line.  They probably are not incentivized enough to make your 'antics' disappear on their review of how well they control their sales team.

It's a joke dude, you obviously know how to produce - find a business that rewards you better so you aren't reliant on vacationing with a bunch of posers.

Go watch Alec Baldwin's speech again,  you'll feel better in no time!
  • From a business perspective, you don't have a right to be pissed - there is no room for emotion in business, emotion clouds the senses. 
    Reading thru the post, I was thinking this guy may be a supreme PITA, but is worth it as the job is based on performance not wether he is socially acceptable to the firm. @Mickey sums it up, read and re-read what he said. 
    @RRP brings in another perspective, is there someone in the wings ready to step in? Although your bookings were well ahead of the next salesman, if you were out of the picture would they have lost all of your bookings, a portion of your bookings or none of bookings as the rest of the firm steps up to address what you were doing?
    Think it thru carefully, you have the talent to treat your customers right, direct some of that skill at the place where you work.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • If this job provides a decent living and you get to work from home, I wouldn't complain too much.  I would tell them that the week of the trip is not good for you and ask if there could be any other type compensation.  If there answer is no, I'd just work from home as often as possible.  Congrats on your top sales.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• I say find another gig with a company that appreciate your talents. Then put Vaseline in your old boss's phone earpiece. When its discovered, resign.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    henapple said:
    Maybe, but probably not if you are in the right business.  I have been on my own for 12 + years.  No one would pay me what I can earn on my own, and I know I could no longer be someone else's employee.  My favorite thing to do is sell, but the down side is I also have to prospect, keep the books, buy office supplies, empty the trash, and pay the bills.  I would not have it any other way though.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Cookinbob said:

henapple said:

Maybe, but probably not if you are in the right business.  I have been on my own for 12 + years.  No one would pay me what I can earn on my own, and I know I could no longer be someone else's employee.  My favorite thing to do is sell, but the down side is I also have to prospect, keep the books, buy office supplies, empty the trash, and pay the bills.  I would not have it any other way though.

I didn't mean it wouldn't be good. ..I've been self employed for 30 years. Contracting. I'm sure each field is different. I don't stand around waiting for back slaps but I'm always prepared for a **** storm if the least little thing comes up. Pride in your work is different than being proud. Starting out at 20 years old it took me a while to learn to bite my tongue and keep my mouth shut. I've learned there's ways to handle situations that can mutually benefit every party. Handled correctly it can make you look like the winner even if you may not be.

I've found two different types of people. The ones that seek recognition and value that attention more than money to some degree. Then there's the folks that couldn't care less if you never said anything to them other than "here's your paycheck, a big paycheck".

But, I'm a PBR swilling country boy. What do I know?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I've been F'd over more times than I can count and most folks think I'm a huge ass too which is weird because I'm a pretty good guy but I don't like to be disrespected.
    But, there's nothing you can do about it so move on.  It took me several years to realize that it doesn't matter.  I get paid a lot, I have freedom to operate and I'm good at what I do.  Leaves me more time to Egg and brew.  Busting your ass gets you promoted to a new job that means busting your ass even more.  Family is my focus now.

As said before:  "You can catch more flies with honey" - but you catch the most with a big pile of ****!
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • You should be worried because even when you have been the top salesman 4 years in a row, the manager didn't noticed when you didn't make it in the top sales.

Business is to make money, I agree, but for me a good attitude and team work disposition is better. Have it ever cross yours or your boss' mind to engage you to coach other vendors to improve their sales ratio, given you are so good at what you do?

I believe the answer will be no, and that's because lack of good attitude and teamwork.
  • You should start your own business on the side first, plan trips for friends and family and soon you will have lots of referrals and start growing. Next thing you know, you will have someone else egging for you!!!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I feel the need to use proverbs here.

Walk fast while farting.

There are many ways to the top of the mountain, but they all have the same view.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • gmac said:
    I've been F'd over more times than I can count and most folks think I'm a huge ass too which is weird because I'm a pretty good guy but I don't like to be disrespected.
    But, there's nothing you can do about it so move on.  It took me several years to realize that it doesn't matter.  I get paid a lot, I have freedom to operate and I'm good at what I do.  Leaves me more time to Egg and brew.  Busting your ass gets you promoted to a new job that means busting your ass even more.  Family is my focus now.

As said before:  "You can catch more flies with honey" - but you catch the most with a big pile of ****!
    I agree! Whether you work for someone else or yourself the paycheque or the paid invoice is all the thanks you're gonna get.

Steve 

Caledon, ON