Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini vs smalll

I posted several months ago about buying a mini vs small. I am firefighter medic and looking to buy one to keep at home but take to work if i decide that shift. I also would like to take with me when i go camping/mtn biking... my question is how much i can actually cook on the mini? can i feed my wife and i dinner (protein + asparagus) on the mini? will it cook a small chicken or half chicken? 2steaks? im on the fence again and am leaning toward small for cooking size (i would like to cook 3 chicken breast or 3 small steaks if needed) at a time but i know the weight will decrease the amount of time i travel with it to station and back... any ideas? i know the mini clan on here are die hard and thats the crew i want advice from.. you guys know the limits... thanks

Beaufort, SC

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited February 2014
    I'd take my small over my mini any day. Yes the mini is much better for travel but the small can still be portable and be functional enough for most cooks
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • I posted several months ago about buying a mini vs small. I am firefighter medic and looking to buy one to keep at home but take to work if i decide that shift. I also would like to take with me when i go camping/mtn biking... my question is how much i can actually cook on the mini? can i feed my wife and i dinner (protein + asparagus) on the mini? will it cook a small chicken or half chicken? 2steaks? im on the fence again and am leaning toward small for cooking size (i would like to cook 3 chicken breast or 3 small steaks if needed) at a time but i know the weight will decrease the amount of time i travel with it to station and back... any ideas? i know the mini clan on here are die hard and thats the crew i want advice from.. you guys know the limits... thanks

Help me understand this. You're going to take a mini to the hall and cook for yourself and then sleep there....good luck B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Idea man raises a valid point. Get the station to buy a large, then buy a mini for yourself.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

I think the mini would be easy to carry on your mountain bike. :))

I could not let that one go by.

I have a mini and large. I use the mini for most everything for the two of us. Large for a family event or brisket.

I think Mickey would be the best to chime in on this. I have a mini and

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX

• I posted several months ago about buying a mini vs small. I am firefighter medic and looking to buy one to keep at home but take to work if i decide that shift. I also would like to take with me when i go camping/mtn biking... my question is how much i can actually cook on the mini? can i feed my wife and i dinner (protein + asparagus) on the mini? will it cook a small chicken or half chicken? 2steaks? im on the fence again and am leaning toward small for cooking size (i would like to cook 3 chicken breast or 3 small steaks if needed) at a time but i know the weight will decrease the amount of time i travel with it to station and back... any ideas? i know the mini clan on here are die hard and thats the crew i want advice from.. you guys know the limits... thanks

Help me understand this. You're going to take a mini to the hall and cook for yourself and then sleep there....good luck B-)
    yessir.  our guys keep to themselves.. i eat healthy and they mostly eat junk (pizzas, pastas etc) so it wont matter. We have a cheap charcoal grill here that i use my own lump in and turns out well usually...but just not the same
    Beaufort, SC
  • I wish..i tried to get them to buy one but the guys would destroy it with lighter fluid and crap...they dont take care of much... bad idea. ill keep mine locked up... i use my large alot now at home but i work 2days on and 3 off so i spend a good bit of time at the station. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Just hope you don't end up duct taped to your cot at the end of your shift man.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BTW, I would get the small. I have both and while the mini is great, the small is not a whole lot heavier and is more versatile.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Mini just looks cooler , I make it work for 4 , wife 2 kids.
    Seattle, WA
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

Never used a small but for me the time it takes to get the mini ready to cook is a lot less than my large. So it works out great for us.

And thanks for what you guys do. I have had a couple of close calls in the past and it was the efforts of the EMS/FF that made the difference for me. 

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    edited February 2014
    Mini will cook 2 steaks (4 in two layers), a small chicken, protein+asparagus for 2, whatever. One rack of St. Louis ribs either rolled or stacked. A small pork butt. 1 really huge porterhouse. I did 3 chix breasts on the mini this week. Had room for a fourth.

Does all that on about two handfuls of lump. I would NEVER want to habitually transport a small. Mini=no problem.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    The small is only 77 pounds well worth the extra grill surface
  • JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    I have a large and a small. I travel with the small, camping and such. You can do bigger cuts of meat on the small, low and slow. I don't have a mini but I don't think you could do a Boston Butt low n slow on it. Just about all of the mini cooks I see here on the forum are direct and higher heat.
    Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • I went with a small. Its plenty portable. I strap it in back seat and throw the nest in the bed and take it whereever I want.
    And Im a small fella and have no problem loading it by myself.

Little Rock, AR

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    stantrb said:
    Mini will cook 2 steaks (4 in two layers), a small chicken, protein+asparagus for 2, whatever. One rack of St. Louis ribs either rolled or stacked. A small pork butt. 1 really huge porterhouse. I did 3 chix breasts on the mini this week. Had room for a fourth. Does all that on about two handfuls of lump. I would NEVER want to habitually transport a small. Mini=no problem.
    +1
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Everything you stated can be done on a mini. I did a 6 pound shoulder once for 8 hours without adding lump. That being said the small is much more versatile.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    3.5 lb chicken. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    My first a Egg was a Small. I sold it. How about fried fish,oysters and shrimp. image

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Made tacos with this tonight image
    Seattle, WA
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Bottom line if you can't afford a small get a mini either way you'll be eatin good
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Small, that is all.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    DMW said:
    Small, that is all.
    + 1. Don't have a mini but I love my small.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • I leave my small at the camp during hunting season. Thats a lot of why I went that route. Just more room to cook. If it was gonna be mainly for the house and two people, I would go mini.

Little Rock, AR

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited February 2014
    I have the mini and the small.  The mini is a blast to cook on for my wife and I, but when we camp or travel it's the small that goes with us.  The extra three inches make a huge difference.  Ask your wife. :D;)

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Lol... She just chuckled. So how about accessories for the mini? Not sure about a wok small enough? I wasn't sure if that's what Mickey had on there
    Beaufort, SC
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    I must say im really enjoying reading this topic. Glad plumbfir01 asked as i had some of the same questions for mini vs. small. Wife and I are still leaning towards the mini. We live in an end unit condo and have very limited deck space. We already own a lbge and are wanting a smaller one. Large is nice for family outing but a lil much for just 2 and a child. All your inputs are appreciated greatly. Thanks!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Here's the customary list of accessories for the Mini:

Mini Woo (http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/mini-10-woo-ring/)
    Old Stone Oven Pizza Stones (http://www.amazon.com/Old-Stone-Oven-4444-Stones/dp/B0000E1FDC)
    Lodge CI griddle #L70GH3 (http://www.missionrs.com/L70GH3.html or http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_309165)
    10" Carbon Steel Wok (http://www.wokshop.com/store/detail.php?show=64)

I use one of these MSR Alpine Plates as a drip pan (http://www.amazon.com/MSR-321104-Alpine-Plate/dp/B000FBSZGA)

High-Que grate is another option if your Mini needs a little better airflow. http://www.high-que.com/Stainless-High-Heat-Charcoal-Fire-Grate-Upgrade-for-Small-Mini-Big-Green-Egg-Grill_p_21.html

My Mini has no need for a High-Que but your Mini may vary.

BGE has a plate setter as well now (part #PST) but I would recommend the Mini Woo & stone combo for more versatility.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    If you want just enough for one dinner, you can easily cook protein plus veg on the mini. But I like to have protein left over for lunch, so I find that I usually need to cook the veg first then the protein. Not much trouble considering how quickly the little thing comes to temp.

I also have limited space and never even considered the small.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156

Nothing against the Woo, but I like the plate setter more for the mini.  It gives you a little more room when cooking indirect.

Minimax and a wood-fired oven.