Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Pork Chops

Options

Beautiful day here yesterday in the DFW. Nice and sunny, high around 65. Great day to sit on the patio with a cold one, let the dogs burn off some energy from being cooped up inside and fire up the Egg. Nothing fancy, just some pork chops.The wife wanted to try out JH's Mojave Garlic Pepper on hers and I tried out one of the rubs that @NibbleMeThis sent me awhile back. This was his Basic BBQ Rub.

Finished

After the chops came off, I threw on some asparagus rafts. Lighly oiled, salt and pepper and some mojave garlic pepper because it was still sitting there and I was curious.

Plated up with a salad on the side (not pictured)

Pretty simple little dinner, but tasty. NibbleMeThis hasn't been around much lately. For those that don't know, he's in the process of writing a cookbook, so he's been cooking up a storm and taking pics to get it done. I know I'll be picking up a copy. As for his rub, I don't know what he put in it, but if he ever decides to bottle it, I'll pick up some of that too. Can't wait to try it on some ribs.

Speaking of new rubs, this was sitting in my mailbox yesterday. Could have arrived the day before for all I know, but I don't check my mail every day. Its all bills and junk mail anyway.

And the note

I know @Spring_Chicken already beat me to sharing it on the forum and has already tried it. I can't wait to try it on some fish this weekend and see how it is. If its like the rest of their rubs, I know it will be pretty good.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Those look great, Griff. Chops and asparagus are two of my favorite things on the egg. How long do you usually do your asparagus?

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    That's a good question. I've never thought about it. Last night I was running 450-500 and I'd say a minute or two per side. Just enough to heat it a bit and get some char on it.

Rowlett, Texas

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Looks delicious, Greffin!! :D
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    Hmmm. I received a request from DP for basic contact information - hopefully I'll see this too. Of course, it would be nice to actually GET some mail delivered but alas the snow and ice has made things a tad difficult.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    Oh, nice looking chops there Griffin. I'm thinking the same for tomorrow night.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I am almost to the point of preferring a good pork chop over a good steak.  Nice cook!  

On a side note, if you want to see the pitmaster IQ's, we have both in the store.

How did your buddy's birthday party cook go.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Do you like the John Henry's? Some of them I have tried seemed to have an artificial taste to them. Maybe I have been spoiled lately making my own rubs and friends bringing there's over as well.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Had that the other night, new standard around here. The pork chops, I throw some Greek seasoning on em and I'm good to go.
    Seattle, WA
  • Griffin
    Options

Thanks Dying_SC

@tjv I've been feeling the same way lately about chops over steak. I'd love to see a pitmaster IQ. Not that I need one. I've already got two pit controllers (Auber and Flame Boss). My buddy said it went really well and spoke highly of you. Thanks for taking care of him. I didn't actually make it to the party as the wife had just got home from working a show in Vegas for 8 days. She was wiped out and wanted to rest on the couch. Spending time with her was more important to me than a party.

@TUTTLE871 I've never been the biggest fan. I bought a four or five pack from them years ago. Ended up tossing a bunch of them out as I wasn't using them and they were getting old. I do like their Texas Chicken Tickler and this one seems pretty good. Seems like a lot of their rubs the primary ingredient is salt and or sugar, not to mention some contain MSG

Rowlett, Texas

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Looks delicious, Greffin!! :D

Griffin said:

Thanks Dying_SC

Hah!
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Griffin
    Options
    @rtt121 Old joke between the two of us that started out on another forum years ago. He also likes to call me Garfield for some reason. :-?

Rowlett, Texas

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice chops! How was the JH rub on the asparagus?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Griffin
    Options
    I really like it on the aspara-goose. Gave it a little more kick than just salt and pepper but not to much. Think I'll be using that again.

Rowlett, Texas

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I like the "rafts".  I will be stealing that idea as well.  Thanks!

NOLA
  • Griffin
    Options
    Got that from Steve Raichlen. Makes them easier to manage and none get lost to the fire gods. Doesn't work well if the aspara-goose is too thin, though.

Rowlett, Texas

• SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Did you cook your chops Hot and Fast?
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice plate! I was about to ask about the JH rub too. I tried the Summer Peach Rub and it was disgusting. Tastes predominantly of artifical peach flavor. The garlic pepper sounds good though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin
    Options

Did you cook your chops Hot and Fast?

Yep. 450-500

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options
    caliking said:

Nice plate! I was about to ask about the JH rub too. I tried the Summer Peach Rub and it was disgusting. Tastes predominantly of artifical peach flavor. The garlic pepper sounds good though.

Don't get me started on the artificial smoke flavored ones...

Rowlett, Texas