Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza, pizza!! (Pic heavy)

Hello everybody,
Just got back from a work trip and couldn't wait to get back home and cook something on the egg. i figured since i didnt want to make too much of a mess and wanted something quick and easy i decided to do pizza. I didn't have a pizza stone but i did have the plate setter that is used for indirect cooking. and if you use it with the legs down I dont see why it couldnt be used the same way as a pizza stone. i filled the egg only 1/2 way up the the bottom of the fire ring with lump and some hickory wood. (wanted to see if any smoke would be imparted into the pizza) lit it up and let it go . i know that when you cook pizza its usually supposed to be at a high temp usually around 615-700. I let the temp gradually rise so i wouldn't damage the egg. then i went off to prep the pizza. i used tomato sauce, mozz, jalapeno, onion and pepperoni. i put it on the egg and wasnt sure to cover it or not so i left the top open. wanted to let you guys know that i didn't make the dough . i bought it from a local pizzaria back in CT when i was on my trip. their pizza is amazing if you guys are ever in East Haven Ct go to Tollis Pizza. its a mom and pop shop they have been around forever. the pizza box was just to hold the dough when transporting. anyways all said and done the pizza turned out great. i brought back a couple balls of dough. i had tested just the dough at 600 degrees and it was way to hot! it just turned black instantly so i dicided to cool the egg down and cook the pizza at 400 and it was perfect. at least it was in my experience. definitely going to have to try this again but ill have to wait to get more dough from Tollis.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Great looking pie!  Nice job!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cp90
    cp90 Posts: 16
    Thank You! going to have to get the pizza stone and see what the difference will be when cooking.
  • cazzy
    edited February 2014
    Just notice you cooked straight on the platesetter.   You may see better results, but, i'd try to get high in the dome.
  • cp90
    that's a good idea. how would you suggest i get higher in the dome. and what do you think cooking higher up will achieve? (more crispy finished product ?)

• cazzy
    Get some 2 or 3 fire bricks and wrap them in foil.

Higher in the dome provides more even heat.  The heat reflection should help with toppings cooking just as fast as the dough.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I use PlateSet LD, grate, 3 fire bricks, pizstone.  temp at 650-700 for at least 30-45 prior to cooking. I make my own sauce using canned/peeled plumb tomatoes + garlic, EVOO for ~15 min, then use a potato masher, add a bit more EVOO, ~1/2c water, salt, pepper, italian seasoning to taste - and depending on the acidity of the tomatoes maybe 1-2TBS of sugar to knock that down just a bit. let cook another 10min.  Don't make it "sweet" -blech!!  VERY GOOD!!

We did a meat lovers (hamburger, sweet italian sausage, prosciutto, pepperoni) and a "supreme" (pepperoni, onion, mushroom and green bell pepper).  Was devoured before pics could be taken. Used Trader Joe's pizza dough - was not impressed.  
  • cp90
    cazzy said:
    Get some 2 or 3 fire bricks and wrap them in foil.

Higher in the dome provides more even heat.  The heat reflection should help with toppings cooking just as fast as the dough.
    also a good idea i will have to get some fire bricks. thanks again for the advice!
  • cp90
    onedbguru said:
    I use PlateSet LD, grate, 3 fire bricks, pizstone.  temp at 650-700 for at least 30-45 prior to cooking. I make my own sauce using canned/peeled plumb tomatoes + garlic, EVOO for ~15 min, then use a potato masher, add a bit more EVOO, ~1/2c water, salt, pepper, italian seasoning to taste - and depending on the acidity of the tomatoes maybe 1-2TBS of sugar to knock that down just a bit. let cook another 10min.  Don't make it "sweet" -blech!!  VERY GOOD!!

We did a meat lovers (hamburger, sweet italian sausage, prosciutto, pepperoni) and a "supreme" (pepperoni, onion, mushroom and green bell pepper).  Was devoured before pics could be taken. Used Trader Joe's pizza dough - was not impressed.  
    that must have tasted great i didnt make my own tomato sauce either but it wasn't bad tasting. the supreme sounds great. i wont be making pizza for a while though don't care much for the supermarket dough.
  • I am getting a pizza stone tomorrow. Two years into egg ownership/obsession it is TIME to cook me some pie!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    I used to use some bricks to raise the stone higher in the dome but use the AR now and the pies come out great.  I am surprised that you didn't burn the crust directly on the platesetter but it looks great.  Here is a photo of the brick set-up.image
    Milton, GA.
  • cp90
    flynnbob said:
    I used to use some bricks to raise the stone higher in the dome but use the AR now and the pies come out great.  I am surprised that you didn't burn the crust directly on the platesetter but it looks great.  Here is a photo of the brick set-up.image
    looks great! i did burn a test dough ball on the 600+ degree that's why i had to drop it to 400.
  • Great looking pies you guys.
    Cherry Hill, NJ