Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT - Photography Pricing

cazzycazzy Posts: 8,808
edited February 2014 in Off Topic
I got messaged on another forum from a member who would like to purchase 2 of my photos from my BBQ Tour.  Totally cool and kind of flattered that he wants to hang my pics in his home.  I shoot for me and not to make money, but I think it would be really cool to sell one of my images.

That said, I want total control of what my photos get printed on, so I plan to print and direct ship to him.  I've only been shooting for 14 months, so I don't even know what to charge.  Is there a standard mark up that I add on what the printer charges me?   @hapster Would love your input here!   :)
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,420
    Congrats on someone wanting to buy a print :)

    Always have control... that way you can control what other's see when it's finally displayed. You don't want someone printing your work cheaply and detracting from it when others view their art purchase.

    At the very least, double your costs to produce the finished piece and mark up the shipping at least 50%
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,808
    Ok...that's a start.  This guy just messaged me again and wants a 20x30 of both.  Wowzers!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,808
    Thanks for the feedback Hap!  Total control is something that my instructor always preached and highlighted exactly what you mentioned.   It stuck!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,420
    On my site... a 20x30 print, matted, framed, with non glare glass would run you about $350 before tax and shipping
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,575
    Playa
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 690
    Daniel Vaughn published a book of BBQ pics. Why can't you @cazzy? Texas BBQ and Tennessee Whiskeys. A book of pics from a Motorola Razr, right? ;)

    XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,808
    hapster said:
    On my site... a 20x30 print, matted, framed, with non glare glass would run you about $350 before tax and shipping
    Niiice!  That's a big photo so I hope he's purchased pics before so he knows it's not going to be like $50.

    I gave him my contact information cause I need more information about where it's going to be hung up in his home.  Figure out the lighting condition, framed, canvas etc.

    I'm waiting for the photos I printed for Aaron Franklin and John Lewis to come in.  I did a 8x12 aluminized metal print for their pics.  Figured it would be pretty cool for guys who weld and work with metal on a daily basis.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,808
    GQuiz said:
    Daniel Vaughn published a book of BBQ pics. Why can't you @cazzy? Texas BBQ and Tennessee Whiskeys. A book of pics from a Motorola Razr, right? ;)
    I need a lot more pics to get there.  I plan to tour more places and add to my collection though.  Maybe in 10 years lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • dihtndihtn Posts: 204
    PPA reccomends marking up 3x your costs for a home-based business.
  • You should come take pics of a Travis method brisket.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,808
    You should come take pics of a Travis method brisket.
    I'd be scared that some of the boiling water would splash and ruin my Motorola Razr.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolan8vnolan8v Posts: 309
    @cazzy,

    Do you have a website that others can view? I'm always looking for pictures for my home and man-cave.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,808
    nolan8v said:
    @cazzy,

    Do you have a website that others can view? I'm always looking for pictures for my home and man-cave.
    No.  I don't do this professionally, just a hobby!  Most of my pics can be found by clicking on my name, then discussions and looking at my threads.  

    He wanted a few pics from this trip:

    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,420
    @cazzy
    You should take a look at Zenfolio, supper easy, great customer service, and you can do all of your print and products through MPix which is a pro lab.

    My site, linked below, is with them...

  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,808
    hapster said:
    @cazzy
    You should take a look at Zenfolio, supper easy, great customer service, and you can do all of your print and products through MPix which is a pro lab.

    My site, linked below, is with them...

    Thanks hap...cool service.

    Honestly man, I love looking at your work.  Mad props hap...hope to get to your level one day!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,420
    Thanks @cazzy I appreciate the kind words.

    I'm still a piker and I don't shoot, really shoot as much as I would like too. I am not counting all the iPhone & Instagram photos LOL...

    Here are a couple from this morning's tour that I used the RX100 for... nice not having to haul out the big gear in this weather and knowing that I can get some usable images.

    One of my stores... and the diner where the Blob was filmed


    image


    image
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,808
    hapster said:
    Thanks @cazzy I appreciate the kind words.

    I'm still a piker and I don't shoot, really shoot as much as I would like too. I am not counting all the iPhone & Instagram photos LOL...

    Here are a couple from this morning's tour that I used the RX100 for... nice not having to haul out the big gear in this weather and knowing that I can get some usable images.

    One of my stores... and the diner where the Blob was filmed


    image


    image
    First shot is really cool!  It looks like the the canopy of the pumps is some matrixing snow onto the stores roof.  lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • I always enjoy seeing "Old Glory" blowin in the breeze. Neat picture.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,420
    I always enjoy seeing "Old Glory" blowin in the breeze. Neat picture.
    Thanks :)

Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.