Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Cheese - a few pics

Options
Egghead_Daron
Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
I smoked Gouda, Wisconsin Cheddar, NY Extra Sharp Cheddar and Swiss tonight with the AmazeNSmoker. Smoked about 2-1/2 hours with ambient around 25 or so. Oak pellets for smoke. Now just need to wait 3 weeks for yummy goodness!
LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
Columbus IN

Comments

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Greetings-

I apologize if these are newbie questions:

1. How was the Egg set up (indirect/direct, grate height)?

2. What was duration of cook and temperature? Not sure what you meant by "ambient around 25 or so"

Any information is appreciated. Have a great weekend!

Cheers!
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    That is sure something to look forward to, I did the same with cheddar, swiss, jack, and aged provolone late last month, hit the Provolone at the 3 week mark - very smoky but good.

@ChrisgrillsSTLMO, the AmazNSmoker is a pellet smoker that does cold smoking which is how you have to do cheese.  The egg is not lit, just the pellets which are inside the egg of course.  Also good for cold smoking bacon and other stuff too.  http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8
    for more info from the company.  Here is a good tutorial posted by Cen Tex last November.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • EGG_Daddy
    Options
    Why do you have to wait to eat?  

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    EGG_Daddy said:
    Because if you don't, it will taste like you just licked an ashtray!  Trust me on this.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    EGG_Daddy said:
    Cheese really absorbs the smoke...it mellows out in the waiting period...eating right away gives a ashtray taste
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Chris, as Cookinbob said, pretty simple setup. The Egg is really just a chamber to hold the smoke. I set the ANS on the fire grate and then set the cheese on middle level of Adjustable Rig. By

Egg Daddy, I have taken a little corner off every time I smoke cheese (this is my 3rd batch) and it is nearly impossible to eat. By 25 ambient I just meant it was about 25 outside. Three weeks later, it is incredible!

I will say that on the second batch, I pushed my limits a little and let it smoke a little over 4 hours and it was too much for sure. I think I have settled into 2-1/2 hours but I will let you know in a few weeks.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    BOWHUNR said:
    EGG_Daddy said:
    Because if you don't, it will taste like you just licked an ashtray!  Trust me on this.

Mike
    You got that right. Had I not known that it would mellow, I would have tossed my first batch out after trying it straight off the Egg.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    CookinBob-

Thanks for the information, I will look at the links!

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    How long do you guys hold smoked cheese in a food saver? I have some I found in my freezer on a recent freezer dive
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I froze some smoked cheese a while back and it was a big mistake!  The cheese had become grainy in texture.  Taste  was OK, but not as good as the ones I stored in my refrigerator.  I have stored in fridge for 4 months with no problem.  I do handle the cheese with vinyl gloves when cutting and packing.  Don't know if this makes any difference, but I've always been concerned about causing mold or other issues.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa