Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking of Custom build. Ideas and Suggestions please

I own on XL and two larges. I have room om my uncovered patio to have built a peppermint unit of some sort. I could do a corner unit or have room to just do a straight unit. I could have it hold all 3 eggs or just two. I am not sure of the materials I want to use, i.e. wood, brick, concrete, stainless steel, granite tops, etc.

Anyone have suggestions on what materials to use and what features are "must have" ? Are there any designs out there?

I woudl also be open to buying a pre-made unit of some kind if there are such things.

Suggestions for all of the above would really be appreciative.

Comments

• Posting from your phone?
    St. Mary's, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Peppermint? Lol. The possibilities are endless. Maybe the large in the corner with an xlbge on the sides?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Holy Crap! I have not had a drink in over 27 years. From my post it looks like I was not, shall we say.. sober?   I'd like the blame the peppermint issue on fat fingering when choosing the wrong word in spell check.. although a peppermint structure would be interesting ).

ok... Trying again...

I own one XL and two large eggs. I have room on my uncovered patio to have built a permanent unit of some sort. I could do a corner unit or have room to just do a straight unit. I could have it hold all three eggs or just two. I am not sure of the materials I want to use, i.e. wood, brick, concrete, stainless steel, granite tops, etc.

Anyone have suggestions on what materials to use and what features are "must have?” Are there any designs out there?

I would also be open to buying a pre-made unit of some kind if there are such things.

Suggestions for all of the above would really be appreciative.

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Working on a corner unit now

• Nice! Where does one get that?
  • Tspud1
    Check your messages
  • Greetings

Should you go with a wood table, 2 suggestions:

1. Round the corners to make sure that the sharp corners don't tear your cover.

2. Make sure that the decking is at least 1" longer than the cross beams at the ends so that hooks for tools can be hidden under the lip of the decking.

Very jealous of multiple Eggs.

Cheers!

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Tspud1 said:
    Check your messages
    I did return your email
  • Tspud1
    Sorry, I didn't get it. My fat fingers added a s at end of email that should not be there. Correct one is in your messages. If you would like to call me, it's 217-653-0654 cell.
  • Greetings

Should you go with a wood table, 2 suggestions:

1. Round the corners to make sure that the sharp corners don't tear your cover.

2. Make sure that the decking is at least 1" longer than the cross beams at the ends so that hooks for tools can be hidden under the lip of the decking.

Very jealous of multiple Eggs.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info Chris :)
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    If you put a roof over it make sure not only the grill is covered but give it a little extra room for you not to get wet! Give yourself plenty of light, work it into the design, make sure it's not an after thought.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • I had not thought about a roof. Is there a consensus as to how high or how much a covering so that it does not trap smoke or collect soot or that sort of thing? Am I completely over thinking this part?
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    My roof is sloped high at the front low at the back and the egg is roughly three feet from the ceiling. I have never had trapped smoke or any worry of too much heat. Here's a shot. The build is still in process. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Thanks George. That is good info to have. I was thinking if I made the structure from Stainless, then a roof  will stop the FL sun from heating it so much that I may burn myself, If the structure is made from wood, then a roof  will help protect it from the elements and in either case it will enable me to escape a light to mild rain and still cook! :)
  • Tspud1
    Directly above the vent cap on ceiling, put something you can clean. Small particles of grease can be carried up as the heat rises. Over time it may accumulate.