Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I could almost shed a tear

Options
Many of yall may know Don Marco or remember his beautiful egg set-up. See here for the reminder or introduction:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1139404/must-see-pics-just-finished-my-egg-center/p1

I can't sleep, so I'm browsing on the brethren and run into a thread he just posted:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181301

What a bummer. :(
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Ouch....that stung. That darn high resale did em in.
    Seattle, WA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Wow! He was the BGE Distributor in Germany. Somethin' must have gone seriously south!!

I do like the black look though. 
    :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    I love those things

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Very nice... the end results will likely be the same high quality cooks as always. It's a shame that his relationship with BGE had to end, though I'm sure he could have provided a better explanation for the break up with out giving out all of the details...

His explanation implies that BGE did something wrong or acted in a less than ethical manner in living up to whatever agreement they had in place. That implication seems to be very out of character based on BGE's customer service record and reputation; I think they would likely be conducting business with their partners in the same spirit that they serve their customers...
  • Angus1978
    Options
    Still....that's one heck of a cooking set up....geez
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited February 2014
    Options
    hapster said:
    Very nice... the end results will likely be the same high quality cooks as always. It's a shame that his relationship with BGE had to end, though I'm sure he could have provided a better explanation for the break up with out giving out all of the details...

His explanation implies that BGE did something wrong or acted in a less than ethical manner in living up to whatever agreement they had in place. That implication seems to be very out of character based on BGE's customer service record and reputation; I think they would likely be conducting business with their partners in the same spirit that they serve their customers...
    I'm really curious as to what happened. I did business with his rub company and the experience was top notch. Something big must have happened if he just up and dumped 7 eggs.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    He's as solid of a guy as there is. He lives about 20 minutes from my uncle in Germany and hosted him and my inlaws on a recent visit. 

And his rubs are amazing BTW
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    thetrim said:
    He's as solid of a guy as there is. He lives about 20 minutes from my uncle in Germany and hosted him and my inlaws on a recent visit. 

And his rubs are amazing BTW
    I completely agree. I have every single one he makes.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I'd like to try them someday now, but i have too many now. Not to mention, I have my homebrew rubs dialed in.
  • jenericzac
    Options
    Does anyone have a link for his rubs?
  • thetrim
    Options
    Last I checked you couldn't buy in the US.  I got some on a visit there and my uncle brought some over on a visit here
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • cazzy
    Options
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    The black primos do look better ... no doubt about it.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Don't know that they would accentuate your Pitmaster properly, though.
    NOLA
  • thetrim
    Options
    Looking at the pictures more closely, I think the only reason he switched was because the have a Jack Daniels log edition.  He is quite the fan of JD
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Just saw that they are Tucker, GA based as well

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • EGG_Daddy
    Options
    Cazzy that reminds me of 98'

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    edited February 2014
    Options
    If it means anything to anyone, the Big Green Eggs are made in Mexico and the Primo is made in the USA
  • cazzy
    Options
    EGG_Daddy said:
    Cazzy that reminds me of 98'
    http://youtu.be/lvLmG5Ls-kw
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

The move to Primo aside, I'm just curious about the guy himself.  A Texan living in Germany?  I guess he has a restaurant there?  Definitely a cool setup.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    KennyLee said:

The move to Primo aside, I'm just curious about the guy himself.  A Texan living in Germany?  I guess he has a restaurant there?  Definitely a cool setup.

He is German but likes Texas. I can't remember if he lived there or not.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    That's cool.....that setup looks like something you'd find in the Hill Country somewhere.  Love it.  Guess that comports with the old saying that Texan is not only where you reside, but a state of mind.  Kinda like Margaritaville :)

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer