Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Induction Ranges

Options
Ragtop99
Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
We're getting ready to replace of gas range in our kitchen.  We were originally thinking about dual fuel, gas cooktop and electric oven w/ convection.  Then I started thinking about an induction cooktop.  Do any of you have them in your kitchen as the primary cooktop?  How do you like and how is it holding up? 

Our pots and pans are old, so replacing them isn't an issue and maybe a bonus.  ;)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'd go dual fuel. Induction will heat faster and have less heat loss, but guess which one works when there is no power?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I have a duel fuel range and a two element induction cooktop. I use them both about equally. The performance is better with the induction but I have copper pots and pans that I like to use.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I have the ge profile induction range. Love it, there is some buzzing sound at times but not too bad.
    Heat is instant, pretty cool stuff. Cast iron and some IKEA pots do the job quite well so no expensive upgrades needed.
    Seattle, WA
  • Little Steven
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I have the ge profile induction range. Love it, there is some buzzing sound at times but not too bad. Heat is instant, pretty cool stuff.

Do you show all your guests how fast you can boil water?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I have the ge profile induction range. Love it, there is some buzzing sound at times but not too bad. Heat is instant, pretty cool stuff.

Do you show all your guests how fast you can boil water?
    They enjoy watching paint dry just as much.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have a Electrolux  cooktop that has 2 induction burners and to that will work with any pan. I love the induction for heating up soup or boiling water. Mine has a slight buzz as well but not bad

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    We went with a GE induction range about 3 years ago and really like it. As with any glass top the pans should be flat bottomed for the best performance. You'll just have to look for the induction symbol or carry a small magnet when shopping for new pans. The heat is very stable and much faster that electric. We actually put a paper towel under the pans to prevent scratching the glass. It turns a little brown if you use the higher heat settings but nowhere near catching fire. We don't have natural gas here and didn't want to install a propane tange so gas was out of the question. Try it you'll like it.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Helpful comments, thanks.
    Has the low heat/simmer performance been good too?  The other challenge with gas has been the simmer burner concentrates the heat in a small area in the center, which for some sauces increases the risk of burning.

@Eggcelsior We have Pepco for electricity so we have definitely needed the gas during power outages.  For winter outages it is a bigger deal being able to heat water indoors.  During the summer, its less of a concern. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Eggcelsior
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    Helpful commenst, thanks.
    Has the low heat/simmer performance been good too?  The other challenge with gas has been the simmer burner concentrates the heat in a small area in the center, which for some sauces increases the risk of burning.

@Eggcelsior We have Pepco for electricity so we have definitely needed the gas during power outages.  For winter outages it is a bigger deal being able to heat water indoors.  During the summer, its less of a concern. 
    True true. That's why my dad and I bought my uncle a generator and carried it into Woodley Gardens in Rockville after the derecho a few years ago. Pepco does not inspire confidence, to say the least.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    Helpful comments, thanks.

The simmer/keep warm capability is phenomenal! You can hold a hollandaise sauce all day long if you want. Even though I have a sous vide unit I often hot tub stuff in a pot on the element. I can hold 100* water. That's where you will get a bit of buzzing as it cycles on and off.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I don't like electric ovens as they don't seem to hold a stable temp. I'm waiting for our oven to die so I can get a gas one. Or I might take an axe to it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2014
    Options
    caliking said:
    I don't like electric ovens as they don't seem to hold a stable temp. I'm waiting for our oven to die so I can get a gas one. Or I might take an axe to it.
    Interesting, I thought the reason gas range tops with convection electric ovens are the "best buy" for serious cooks is because gas ovens do not hold temps or broil as well as convection electrics. Well at least from my little bit of experience, that's the way I understand it. Have had average quality gas ovens and did not like them. I do like dual fuel range tops, modules made by Wolf are fantastic. Gas for quick heat, sauté, stir fry and anything you shake on or above the heat source, induction for fast easy control of liquids. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

caliking said:

Interesting, I thought the reason gas range tops with convection electric ovens are the "best buy" for serious cooks is because gas ovens do not hold temps or broil as well as convection electrics. Well at least from my little bit of experience, that's the way I understand it. Have had average quality gas ovens and did not like them. I do like dual fuel range tops, modules made by Wolf are fantastic. Gas for quick heat, sauté, stir fry and anything you shake on or above the heat source, induction for fast easy control of liquids. 

This. Electric ovens hold temps much better than gas. Temp in a gas oven can vary by +/- 25 degrees from the flame cycling on and off to maintain temp.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited February 2014
    Options
    The simmer/keep warm capability is phenomenal! You can hold a hollandaise sauce all day long if you want. Even though I have a sous vide unit I often hot tub stuff in a pot on the element. I can hold 100* water. That's where you will get a bit of buzzing as it cycles on and off.
    I have this unit.
    When operating in HEAT LEVEL (1 to 10) mode it cyles on and off noticeably at low level; however, at TEMP mode, it seems to be on constantly even for low temp setting.

Here's an ultimate challenge/question for you ... wouldn't it be nice if a PID controlled outlet can turn it off and on, like an old stove with manual on/off switch and analogue temp dial?  
    canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Canugghead, the way I understand it I think the BergHOFF uses the same high current levels in the inducing copper loop under the element glass for all levels using the HEAT LEVEL mode. The power is simply cycled on and off as you note. Maybe at level 10 the loop is always energized, at level 5 for example the "burner" loop is powered 50% of the time, maybe 2 seconds on, 2 seconds off. It is my understanding the TEMP mode powers until the temp is reached, in other words the unit measures the temp of the pot, then the unit will power on and off. It might be possible the current is varied for TEMP mode, but I doubt it. 
    Induction is unreal for pots that stay on the stove, large stock pots and anything you do not lift or shake on the element.   
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    @Skiddymarker, thanks, I think you nailed it ... guess it's like most microwave, unless it's Panasonic's Inverter technology with true variable  power.
    canuckland
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I refuse to cook with anything other than gas.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I should have qualified my statement with the disclaimer that is based on my own personal experience (n=1). Last house had brand new appliances and the gas oven worked very well. Current house has a 10yo old electric Whirlpool oven and the temp swings. Somewhat better after I parked a pizza stone on the lowest rack that stays there permanently. I cooked with my sister's Thermador gas oven a couple of times and it was rock steady, but that was my only experience with a high-end brand. 

When the time comes, i guess I will consider an  electric oven with convection. It would save me the cost of running a gas line to the oven cabinet. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Have had Kenmore induction since they were introduced have loved it. It is made by Electrolux. Great power to seer to super low to hold warm. Super easy to clean if anything boils over as the surface does not get hot enough for anything to bake on. Our house was 80% complete & not plumbed for gas when we purchased so the new induction was the way to go & Kenmore was the only one readily avalable in the states at the time.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I think that may be true of low end ovens
    @Canugghead, the way I understand it I think the BergHOFF uses the same high current levels in the inducing copper loop under the element glass for all levels using the HEAT LEVEL mode. The power is simply cycled on and off as you note. Maybe at level 10 the loop is always energized, at level 5 for example the "burner" loop is powered 50% of the time, maybe 2 seconds on, 2 seconds off. It is my understanding the TEMP mode powers until the temp is reached, in other words the unit measures the temp of the pot, then the unit will power on and off. It might be possible the current is varied for TEMP mode, but I doubt it. 
    Induction is unreal for pots that stay on the stove, large stock pots and anything you do not lift or shake on the element.   
    With induction, at least with the units I work with, you can vary the current through the inductor and also the frequency in a true analog. There are limits in both of these ranges. I'm pretty sure mine has analog control down to the lowest ranges where they have to pulse. You have my interest piqued now so I'll check tonight. Always wanted to know the frequency anyway.

Steve 

Caledon, ON