Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Valentine's Day

Is quickly approaching guys. Friday. Don't forget your significant other. So who is cooking for their loved one? And what are you cooking? I was thinking of braised short ribs, but now @R2Egg2Q post on lamb chops has got me thinking that might be what I want to do. Nice bottle of red to go along with. We won't be going out to eat as I'm sure every place will be slammed and I can do it cheaper and better on the Egg.  And yes, I know its a commercial BS holiday and while our other's may agree, they all want to be treated special. :D

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·

Comments

• The wife has requested T-Bones, and crab Legs so far. looking forward to it.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,859
    Just some edible roses here!

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    You got me thinking braised short ribs as well, I saw some in my freezer last night and they called out to me.

I never go out on V-Day, I waited tables for 4 years and I loathed that holiday.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • We never go out on that day anymore either.

Surf and surf: seared ahi tuna (instead of steak) and sous vide lobster tails.

Still deciding on sides/sauces/apps/whatever, but also doing chocolate covered strawberries.

·
  • AcnAcn Posts: 1,008

Add me to the crowd who doesn't go out on Valentine's Day.  Too crowded and too many people who only go out on Valentine's Day, so they have no idea that the entire restaurant isn't all about them.

I'm cooking twice; although neither on the egg most likely.  On V-day itself I'm making white wine poached salmon with a caper-parsley butter sauce, which is what I made the first Valentine's we were dating.  Then over the weekend I'll be braising lamb shanks, which is what SWMBO requested; just don't have the time to do it during the week.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

·
  • saluki2007saluki2007 Posts: 1,149
    I'm grilling up some filets and asparagus.  Having oysters for appetizers.  Some sort of nice cab, but not sure what to get yet.  Any suggestions?  Big fan of South American wineries.
    Large BGE
    Morton, IL

·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,799
    Italian Takeout probably from down the street.

too cold plus the snow mess = no egging this weekend.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,520
    Taking her to Chicago for 4 days.  No egging, but we'll be eating well.
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·
  • BREWnQBREWnQ Posts: 213
    Lucked out with my wife. For the past 5 years or so we've been going to Redondo Beach pier.  Get a good helping of Paella and Cioppino then walk over to the bar and share a pitcher of beer and people watch on the boardwalk.  I'll have flowers delivered to her office just so that she's got something to show off to the other girls.  
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,589
    I've already made sher-bear's card.
    weiner.jpg 43.8K
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I'm grilling up some filets and asparagus.  Having oysters for appetizers.  Some sort of nice cab, but not sure what to get yet.  Any suggestions?  Big fan of South American wineries.

If you can find this I highly recommend it, think I paid 25 a bottle for it.image
    image.jpg 1.5M

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Hmm, lamb is out now. Thinking about cedar planked salmon and asparagus.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • DavekatzDavekatz Posts: 763
    For me, going out on V-day is like going out on New Year's - strictly amateur night and to be avoided at all costs.

I'm doing a "sweetheart" cut rib eye (butterflied so it looks like a heart, awwww....) nuked on the Egg, some marinated mushroom, grilled asparagus, and this knockout of a dessert from She Cooks/He Cleans: http://shecookshecleans.net/2012/02/17/dark-chocolate-creme-brulee/

Then we're off to Key West for a little vacation.
    :)
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,416
    edited February 2014
    SWMBO asked for Chinese takeout. I said "okay".

·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,706
    In house for sure. Never venture out.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    @Eggcelsior damn... lucky.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

·
  • saluki2007saluki2007 Posts: 1,149
    @TUTTLE871 thanks!  I will keep an eye out for it.
    Large BGE
    Morton, IL

·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,470
    Prime rib-eyes, butter poached lobster in the sous vide, parmesan potatoes and asparagus.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • jhl192jhl192 Posts: 805
    I am with  @R2EGG2Q.  Cedar Planked Salmon and Asparagras.  The wife loves that.  I use a Apricot preserves and Jalepenos, white wine glaze that is she really likes.    
    XL BGE; Medium BGE 
    ·
  • NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,138
    edited February 2014
    Y'all are so sweet! Everything sounds delicious! :)

On Friday nights, we like to go out to our local watering hole for wings, beers, and live music.  That's probably what we'll do.  (I am not a Valentine's Day person.)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • @tuttle871 from Total Wine?  

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

·
  • We do family Valentine's for the kids and is on Valentine's, then go out to a local seafood place every year for the last 8 years. Love it, great memories.
    ·
  • WeberWho?WeberWho? Posts: 2,146
    edited February 2014
    My wife already made reservation for a candle lit (yes candle lit) dinner at White Castle. No joke. We did it a couple years ago and was a blast! Servers in suits/dresses that take your order. Everyone who comes in has a good time. Reservations get filled up every year believe it or not!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,589
    I saw that on tv.. cool
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,470

On Friday nights, we like to go out to our local watering hole for wings, beers, and live music.  That's probably what we'll do.  (I am not a Valentine's Day person.)
    Please don't take this wrong Kristi, but I've been on your blog many times, and your life is Valentine's Day!!  ;)  =D>

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,063
    @Griffin - agree 100% about NOT going out on valentine's day. SWMBO appreciates my cooking way more than any restaurant :)

If you are cooking lamb, try a red wine reduction for the sauce. I think @ringkingpin turned me on to this in one of his posts a while back. Easy to make and stupendous on lamb. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,583
    Nothing says "I love you" more than a heart-shaped pizza on the big green egg... Or even a heart-shaped burger. ;)
    image.jpg 150.9K
    image.jpg 234K
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,982

Sounds like my idea of a dream date.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • WeberWho? said:
    My wife already made reservation for a candle lit (yes candle lit) dinner at White Castle. No joke. We did it a couple years ago and was a blast! Servers in suits/dresses that take your order. Everyone who comes in has a good time. Reservations get filled up every year believe it or not!
    @WeberWho? -- I've never heard of this!  Love it!  

@BOWHUNR -- Hahahaha, you're right... we do like to celebrate daily. ;)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,244
    edited February 2014
    Lamb sounds like a great idea! The wife and I are going out to a schmancy lunch instead of trying to deal with the madness at night! They have a pretty great prix fixe menu that even comes with a glass of wine.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·