Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Pet Peeves

JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
Just off the top of my head...

1) States that do not have snow plows
2) People who have no idea how to drive in snow
3) People with very bad judgment insisting on driving in snow
4) Nazis
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• Just took me about two hours to drive 10 miles in NC.  I'm actually very lucky to have made it home.  People were already abandoning their vehicles and walking.  
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    My wife's "time of the month" !
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

You can't have beans in real chili. If it has beans it's a soup, stew or just beans.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Never knew if this really happened or not, but I heard that some years ago, there was a snow storm in Chapel Hill. I assume "storm" meant 1-2". Anyway, they had no snow plows. Some genius figured out that all they had to do was open up the fire hydrants and spray it off. 

Worked great! Until that night.  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    anybody south of boston(you know, the deep south :)) ) driving in a wintery mix.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    2 and 3 are spot on. Take those people away, throw in some steep mountain roads, and it's a beautiful drive in the country! Taken last weekend with Hayhonker (Jason) behind me. No problems. No abandoned cars!

Stay safe out there y'all.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • I-85 in Durham is a virtual parking lot now.  People are going to start running out of gas.  Once that happens, it's game over man.  Game over.
  • fishlessman
    my pet peeve is with texas :D put your chili on a plate, mix your chili with beans, put your chili on rice, better yet put it on spaghetti :)) real chili comes from the azores anyways cooked up by the portuguese :D they have been making it for a thousand years or so :))
    fukahwee maine

• my pet peeve is with texas :D put your chili on a plate, mix your chili with beans, put your chili on rice, better yet put it on spaghetti :)) real chili comes from the azores anyways cooked up by the portuguese :D they have been making it for a thousand years or so :))
  • fishlessman
    edited February 2014
    heres the real chili recipe :D served on boiled potatoes

Molha à la mode de Pico
    Adapted from "Azorean Cuisine" by Zita Lima

The biggest adaptation here was to use our new favorite toy, the pressure cooker. We just got the Fagor 3-in-1 Electric Multi-Cooker and have already embarked upon a love affair. It reduces the cooking time drastically. But, if you do not have a pressure cooker, simply simmer the meat for a couple hours, until it is cooked through and begins to break down. But in the pressure cooker, the meat turns out tender as butter. 

Piri-piri, or malaguetta, is a very spicy varietal of birdseye pepper. I've subbed in red pepper flake to good effect, offering just enough burn to keep it interesting, but not so much as to scare off company. Our neighbor says in her family they don't use any pepper, and a little more cinnamon, so feel free to tinker with the spicing.

Want a copy of this book? Well, you'd better get your own Azorean neighbor then, cuz they don't sell it on Amazon.

2 lbs chuck, cut into bite-size cubes
    5-6 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
    1 Tbsp red pepper flake
    2 Tbsp Kosher salt

2 Tbsp olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 Tbsp tomato paste
    1-2 c. white wine and/or stock
    1 tsp allspice
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1 cinnamon stick

Toss the meat, garlic, pepper flake and salt in a large bowl, combine well and let rest in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. The meat will turn a brilliant shade of red.

Seasoned beef

Sauté the onions and garlic in the bottom of the pressure cooker until golden. Add the tomato paste and cook another minute or so, then add the wine and spices. Add the meat, close up the pressure cooker and cook on high heat for 20 minutes. Allow pressure to drop normally; rapid-releasing pressure will toughen meat. When pressure has fully released, open the cooker. Skim off fat that has risen to the top. Bring remaining sauce back to the boil if you want to thicken or reduce it.

According to the cookbook, molha is traditionally served with boiled potatoes. We served it over buttered noodles and some roasted romanesco, and that was very nice indeed. 

fukahwee maine

• insaneh
    insaneh Posts: 112
    Driving slow in the passing lane.
    Dead smack in the middle of NH
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    edited February 2014
    Middle seats on a MD80 next to a screaming baby.

Oh and losing races on bone head mistakes that one really fires me up.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    heres the real chili recipe :D served on boiled potatoes

Molha à la mode de Pico
    Adapted from "Azorean Cuisine" by Zita Lima

The biggest adaptation here was to use our new favorite toy, the pressure cooker. We just got the Fagor 3-in-1 Electric Multi-Cooker and have already embarked upon a love affair. It reduces the cooking time drastically. But, if you do not have a pressure cooker, simply simmer the meat for a couple hours, until it is cooked through and begins to break down. But in the pressure cooker, the meat turns out tender as butter. 

Piri-piri, or malaguetta, is a very spicy varietal of birdseye pepper. I've subbed in red pepper flake to good effect, offering just enough burn to keep it interesting, but not so much as to scare off company. Our neighbor says in her family they don't use any pepper, and a little more cinnamon, so feel free to tinker with the spicing.

Want a copy of this book? Well, you'd better get your own Azorean neighbor then, cuz they don't sell it on Amazon.

2 lbs chuck, cut into bite-size cubes
    5-6 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
    1 Tbsp red pepper flake
    2 Tbsp Kosher salt

2 Tbsp olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 Tbsp tomato paste
    1-2 c. white wine and/or stock
    1 tsp allspice
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1 cinnamon stick

Toss the meat, garlic, pepper flake and salt in a large bowl, combine well and let rest in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. The meat will turn a brilliant shade of red.

Seasoned beef

Sauté the onions and garlic in the bottom of the pressure cooker until golden. Add the tomato paste and cook another minute or so, then add the wine and spices. Add the meat, close up the pressure cooker and cook on high heat for 20 minutes. Allow pressure to drop normally; rapid-releasing pressure will toughen meat. When pressure has fully released, open the cooker. Skim off fat that has risen to the top. Bring remaining sauce back to the boil if you want to thicken or reduce it.

According to the cookbook, molha is traditionally served with boiled potatoes. We served it over buttered noodles and some roasted romanesco, and that was very nice indeed. 

I still don't see any beans...
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Ranting people and idiots.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• European hockey players

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Ranting people and idiots.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Eggcelsior
    European hockey players
    Oh, burn!
  • I-85 in Durham is a virtual parking lot now.  People are going to start running out of gas.  Once that happens, it's game over man.  Game over.
    Atlanta 2 weeks ago.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Kosko said:
    My wife's "time of the month" !
    DISAGREE!

It means she is not pregnant. This is a win!

Great point! However I have been "clipped" and now it means no :(|) for me!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

@fishlessman You are correct, you can put chili on anything. And most due.

A traditional Texas Red will not have beans or tomatoes.

I'm not trying to convince anyone either way.

But I would say the Molha à la mode de Pico is a stew.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • What about gifs?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    What about gifs?
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited February 2014
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    WeberWho? said:
    Skinny people who can eat/drink all day long without gaining an ounce. Lucky sobs
    Fat people who eat and drink all day and get fatter.  Oh wait...that's me. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Being stuck in damn manhattan cause my 4th flight just got cancelled. Thank God for free beer in the crown room. Looks like one more night in NY.
    Greensboro, NC