Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky Sticks on the EGG...Success!!!

Options
All, I really like jerky.  I've done these jerky sticks 3 times so far.  Beef, pork, and turkey.  Turkey sticks got a little dry.  Here is a few photos of the process and results.  Wear a lederhosen if you have one.  

LEM Products - Jerky Cannon, 6" Nozzle (additional), seasoning/cure, casings, meat

Mix meat with seasoning/cure

Load Jerky Cannon with meat using a spoon, then feed the casings on the 6" nozzle about 2 inches of casing will fit on the nozzle

Tie your casing and keep a pin around to occasionally let air out

Start squeezing - links or long lengths - I found it difficult to keep the links twisted so I just do long lengths from now on

Set up the fire - mixture of wood and lump in a paint can(unused from Home Depot), with this technique I was able to get 150°-175°

Results - 8 hours on the EGG - best sticks ever, great seasoning, and great smoke

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

Comments

• laserdoc85
    Options
    Those look great. I have the same cannon but with the flat tip so I lay out ribbons. I have a snack stick mix in the cabinet that I need to use. Just need those type of casings. I need to make those using venison
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Options
    That looks awesome
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Bravo!!! =D>

My only question is about the paint can. Is there any contaminants that one would worry about when it heats up? You're obviously using it outside of its intention so just wondering. I don't know anything about paint cans lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • EGG_Daddy
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Bravo!!! =D> My only question is about the paint can. Is there any contaminants that one would worry about when it heats up? You're obviously using it outside of its intention so just wondering. I don't know anything about paint cans lol
    It was a brand new unused can so hopefully nothing too bad in it.  I am looking for a more permanent solution.  6" diameter steel pipe???

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I've been working on these too...I have been playing with mixtures of ground beef and ground pork laying the sticks out on the grid without the casings...Found 1 lb 90% ground beef to 1/5th lb ground pork seems to work well... agree everyone on my ranch loves em
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    DAmn, that looks fun. I bet they taste pretty good too. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Did you poke any holes in the bottom of your can?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    You are probably enjoying McGyvering a solution but for 15 bucks you can buy a charcoal chimney starter. With handle. No gloves needed to dump. Nice jerky too.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Jerky sticks look fantastic
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • EGG_Daddy
    Options
    Did you poke any holes in the bottom of your can?
    I took the bottom off the paint can using a can opener.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I would be very hesitant to trust whatever that paint can was coated with...it's possible that it burned off before you out your jerky over it...but why risk it?
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Great job
    Seattle, WA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    I've cut out tin coffee can bottoms with a can opener and use them the exact same way with my Smokey Joe tailgating. My friends also use unused paint cans.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Very cool. About how much meat do you think you can stuff in one of those cannons? A lb? Any idea on the nozzle size? I'm just wondering if I could fit a nozzle like that on my vertical stuffer. Or if the smallest diameter tube that I do have (and have not used) is the same size?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Mine is similar to that gun...maybe bigger chamber in diameter but not as long...I get someplace between a half and 3/4 lb of ground in it...I'd day the tip is probably a quarter inch...maybe slightly bigger...
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I started making snack sticks in the egg but I couldn't fit enough on the 3 grids. On the egg it too took me over 8 hours.  I now use the oven and it set it at 170F ( the lowest it will go) and crock the door open with a can. It takes me about 3.5 hours or so per batch.  I am now making about 12-15 pounds at a time. I am debating getting a Bradley smoker for the smoke flavor but I want to see if I can get more in the oven. The oven is how I have done the last 4-5 batches. I make these about ever 3-4 weeks. I wanted to get a kick start and have multiple flavours cryoed in the freezer but they don seem to last long enough to build up a supply. These are chorizo and sweet and spicy. I have made pepper and garlic, pepperoni, teriyaki, and pizza flavours. I'm making a batch of pizza this weekend. I haven't had any complaint with the lack of smoke from all my new friends.
  • hrchdog
    hrchdog Posts: 40
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Do you let them cool on there own or give them a quick dunk in ice water? What is internal temp when they are done on the egg?
    Herrin,IL.
  • zosobao5150
    Options
    May I ask why you decided to use casings?  Just curious as I have never had a problem not using them.  An advantage?
    XL BGE
  • EGG_Daddy
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Very cool. About how much meat do you think you can stuff in one of those cannons? A lb? Any idea on the nozzle size? I'm just wondering if I could fit a nozzle like that on my vertical stuffer. Or if the smallest diameter tube that I do have (and have not used) is the same size?
    http://www.lemproducts.com   they are under construction right now

About 1.5 lbs not sure about the nozzle specs

• EGG_Daddy
    Options
    May I ask why you decided to use casings?  Just curious as I have never had a problem not using them.  An advantage?
    I think because its kind of like art.  It's fun.  Ultimately, they are very easy to handle.  It gives them that snap.

• EGG_Daddy
    Options
    hrchdog said:
    Do you let them cool on there own or give them a quick dunk in ice water? What is internal temp when they are done on the egg?
    I just took them off at 8 hours.  They say they should reach 165°.  

• EGG_Daddy
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    I started making snack sticks in the egg but I couldn't fit enough on the 3 grids. On the egg it too took me over 8 hours.  I now use the oven and it set it at 170F ( the lowest it will go) and crock the door open with a can. It takes me about 3.5 hours or so per batch.  I am now making about 12-15 pounds at a time. I am debating getting a Bradley smoker for the smoke flavor but I want to see if I can get more in the oven. The oven is how I have done the last 4-5 batches. I make these about ever 3-4 weeks. I wanted to get a kick start and have multiple flavours cryoed in the freezer but they don seem to last long enough to build up a supply. These are chorizo and sweet and spicy. I have made pepper and garlic, pepperoni, teriyaki, and pizza flavours. I'm making a batch of pizza this weekend. I haven't had any complaint with the lack of smoke from all my new friends.
    This calls for a snack stick off.  Let them try smoked vs non-smoked.  I love the smoke.

• EGG_Daddy
    Options
    EGG_Daddy said:
    hrchdog said:
    I just took them off at 8 hours.  They say they should reach 165°.  
    And remember there is cure in them.  So, you don't have to cook the beef like a burger.  At least I think.  I'm not dead yet after 3 batches.

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    EGG_Daddy said:

hondabbq said:

I started making snack sticks in the egg but I couldn't fit enough on the 3 grids. On the egg it too took me over 8 hours.  I now use the oven and it set it at 170F ( the lowest it will go) and crock the door open with a can. It takes me about 3.5 hours or so per batch.  I am now making about 12-15 pounds at a time. I am debating getting a Bradley smoker for the smoke flavor but I want to see if I can get more in the oven. The oven is how I have done the last 4-5 batches. I make these about ever 3-4 weeks. I wanted to get a kick start and have multiple flavours cryoed in the freezer but they don seem to last long enough to build up a supply.
    These are chorizo and sweet and spicy. I have made pepper and garlic, pepperoni, teriyaki, and pizza flavours. I'm making a batch of pizza this weekend. I haven't had any complaint with the lack of smoke from all my new friends.

This calls for a snack stick off.  Let them try smoked vs non-smoked.  I love the smoke.

My son isn't crazy about the smoke taste so I've done em both ways...I prefer the smoke too
  • zosobao5150
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation.  Have you experienced any issues with using ground beef with such a high fat content?  I would have thought you may have more go rancid over time than using a leaner meat.  Of course....if it is like my house...it lasts 3-5 days max and I refrigerate anyways.

btw...I have the same gun and utilize the same seasonings as you.  Pretty darn good stuff.

EGG_Daddy said:
    I think because its kind of like art.  It's fun.  Ultimately, they are very easy to handle.  It gives them that snap.

XL BGE
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    Nice job!
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • hondabbq
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    My son isn't crazy about the smoke taste so I've done em both ways...I prefer the smoke too

I don't mind the smoke flavor at all. Hence why I bought a smoker. I just like the advantage of doing double the amount in half the time. I started doing this early part of the winter so my first batch was just at freeze up, and I haven't done them outside since. I don't know why it takes less time in the oven as to the egg but it does. Don't kid yourself I will try to get it going again on the egg and try to knock the times down. Again the main reason for me doing it in the oven was volume at a time and the cook time itself.

I take my internals to 158F.

• hondabbq
    edited February 2014
    Options

For my meat mix I just use 50% lean ground beef and 50% lean ground pork. I started with 75/25 originally but have since adjusted.  No complaints on the flavor or textures. It has the same textures as the butcher I "used" to buy from.

When I take them out I just let them bloom on the counter overnight then cut half and cryovac, label, and freeze.