Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gyros in house

Options
Decided to try and make some gyro meat, I have purchased kronos gyro slices but man its got 100 ingredients.
1 lb ground beef, 1lb lamb, 1 minced onion, oregano, rosemary. Froze the rolls for a bit then threw on the egg.
Also made the taziki sauce.
Verdict not bad lamb taste is strong despite the mix.

imageimageimageimage
Seattle, WA

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Looks absolutely amazing!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Agree...funny story...When swmbo and I were dating we went to the state fair...I love gyros...she had never had one...she tried mine then got her own...later on, still lamenting on her new find she asked what kind of meat it was...When she found out it was Lamb...the tune changes 180 degrees and she hasn't had one since...

Still loves the sauce though...how did you make yours?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Lol Mike, my wife won't SWMBO won't eat lamb either.. got sick and threw up lamb, lol.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Redonkcutlas!!!!!!!!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice! I love gyros but haven't tried making them yet. Gotta put that on the "to cook" list.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Can't help but notice the resemblance to Mr. Hanky...
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Those look really good from where I'm sitting right now.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Looks really good.  I love gyros and homemade tzatziki is the way to go.  I watched bobby flays grilling show and his "gyro loaf" slow grilled on a motorized rotisserie.  

I wish it was easier to setup a motorized rotiserie in the BGE, but my research on the forum made me think it could be a waste of time/money.  Most posts I saw wanted a motorized rotisserie for Chicken (which I think is not needed - raised direct chicken is already king) but for a Gyro it would be awesome.  

Anybody else have ideas?  The closest thing I found was this unit . . . 

Inventist LT00001 Leantisserie Freestanding Rotisserie

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Wife agrees about the lamb, with other posters first time I ever purchased it to cook myself. May try beef and pork mix next time and maybe it will taste fine, I was thinking it would be exactly like a meatball so tried the lamb to be authentic.
    Picked up the taziki recipe from a Greek friend.
    Fage Greek yogurt, shred a whole cucumber then put in a paper towel to squeeze all water out. Couple cloves garlic to taste, s&p and a bit of lemon juice. Done and tastes great.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Sounds great...will be trying that...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2014
    Options

Look super from a distance man. But I am in Texas , what the hell do I know. Sure looks good.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    winnah winnah chicken dinnah
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    Never thought of making guy-roh meat. Trying to cut down on over processed foods. Thanks for the idea.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Once that taziki is on deck here's another good snack.

Seattle, WA