Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Snow on the way, should I cover

I,m a new egg owner and learned last week that the cover my wife bought held moister in and caused mold to grow. We have snow and ice coming in tomorrow. Should I leave the cover off and keep the ash door open? What top should I use?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited February 2014
    It's not a big deal.  :D  I never cover mine. Sometimes, I even forget to close the dome. Hahaha.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I always have my cover on with the ceramic cap.
    Only had mold once after not using it for a month, because we were away on vacation, I usually use my egg only on weekends.
    I am sure you will get all kinds of answers and opinions.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    I don't even have a cover for mine.  I have leave the bottom vent closed and the green cap on when I shut it down.  Haven't had a problem yet.  I have 5 inches of snow on mine right now.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    With all the ice that maybe coming your way I would put some foil between dome and base and put your cover on. We just had about 1/4" of ice last week and a couple good smacks and the ice was loose enough the cover came off easily. It would suck to have no power and a heavy coat of ice on your only means of cookin because you have a cover and didn't use it. IMHO

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited February 2014
    If you use cover with ceramic cap ... be very careful when removing the cover, you don't want to drag the cap off and shatter it, don't ask how I know  :\">  :D
    canuckland
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    If you use cover with ceramic cap ... be very careful when removing the cover, you don't want to drag the cap off and shatter it, don't ask how I know  :\">  :D

I already learned that lesson. I am much more careful now.
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Thanks everyone. Seems like either way I go it's ok !
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Start a low and slow when the snow/ice starts. By the time both the weather and the meat are done, you won't need a cover.
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • I have 2 LBGE and both are always covered and never had a mold issue
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Snow is on the way here so I covered mine, didn't need to, just figure it will be earier to shake the snow off the cover tomorrow when I fire it up than to instead of having snow on the egg and table.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Don't cover it. Light it. Mines not cooling down till the snow stops.