Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs tonight with a special sauce

Options
I haven't posted a cook in a while, due in part to travel and in part to having company. At any rate, I have a couple of racks of BB ribs on for dinner as well as a pot of beans (large dried limas as that is what I had in the pantry). I am using some of the spices I received in the rub and sauce exchange in December:
  • Rubbed with a rub from "A Thyme for all Seasons" 
  • Plan to sauce them with Montgomery Inn rib sauce which I received in the rub/sauce exchange - a number of folks said it is excellent.  
Per their instructions, I will heat and apply when I serve rather than saucing on the grill.
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Options
    Looks great , enjoy.
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I hate to say it, but this was probably my worst cook on the egg.  First time with baby backs.  I checked the forum and found  times/temps all over the place.  I went for 300 grate temp which is about 350 dome for 3 hours, no foil.  My sauce said apply after cooking, never during, so I did not.  End result, the ribs were overcooked and dry.  Beans were decent though.  

Crowning touch was a salad, I choose a yogurt based southwest ranch dressing which sounded good but I hated it.  Too tangy, and a lot of Cilantro which for some reason I just don't care for.

At least there are some brownies and ice cream left from the weekend, I'm going to have dessert.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your cook. I do like the Montgomery inn sauce. I've never heated it, just applied it in the last 15 minutes.i did my last turbo baby backs the same way. Came out good.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • nicklentini1
    Options
    I did BB ribs sunday.  5 hours at 200 with just dry rub. Pulled them off wrapped in tin foil poured apple juice all over them and kicked it up to 300 for 1.5 hours. The apple juice steams in the foil and rehydrates the ribs. Finished them off out of the foil for last hour at 250.  Probably one of my best rib cooks ever.

2 LBGE's, Mathews Z7 Extreme putting meat in my EGG, Lovin life in South FL

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I hate to say it, but this was probably my worst cook on the egg.  First time with baby backs.  I checked the forum and found  times/temps all over the place.  I went for 300 grate temp which is about 350 dome for 3 hours, no foil.  My sauce said apply after cooking, never during, so I did not.  End result, the ribs were overcooked and dry.  Beans were decent though.  
    The first (and only, so far) time I've done ribs on the egg, I did them about 275, ramping to 300, and they actually started looking done after 1.5 hours and I pulled them after 2.  Some ribs can cook faster than others, IMO.
    NOLA