Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for multiple egg owners?

I currently have a LBGE and may have an opportunity soon to get a great price on a small. My question is though, for multiple egg owners, do you use all of your eggs that often? Under what circumstances? Is it really worth having more than one egg? Do you fire up multiple eggs at once or is it just a matter of the type of meal your cooking? I'm just second guessing myself right now if it's really worth investing in a second egg.

Comments

• I love my second egg. Use it all the time. I use one for the main dish and the other for the sides. I use one for a sear while the other is ready for a lower temp cook.
    The way I look at it is that these things last forever. I can't imagine myself 10 years from now still cooking on it regretting the purchase. Go for it.
  • awm
    awm Posts: 181
    I have the large small combo and love it. I've been able to do indirect meats and direct at the same time. Main courses on one and sides on the other, and when I'm not cooking much food it's nice to fire up just the small. Like s Austin said they will last forever so you'll probably get plenty of use out of it.
  • Lovers gonna love Gino

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The biggest advantage is to be able to cook different temps or times at the same time, either for one meal, or to have lunch while the pulled pork is slowly cooking.  I purposely rotate through my three so they all get hot a couple times a month.  I have only cooked on all three at the same time once.  Two (XL and LG are really enough for us, I sort of inherited the MBGE)

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    I originally bought my Large because it would fit two briskets, an office luncheon Requirement (my boss said so).
    But, because I live alone, and rarely date anymore, it seemed silly to fire up Bertha to cook, say, a chicken breast or a sausage for a weeknight meal.  Got a Small for that. (it didn't look like, at the time, that a Mini could heat a wok, which I use often).
    I eventually did a simple analysis to see if I save enough lump to pay for the Small.  I will, if I live to 103.47 years.
    Hey, it could happen.  
    [-O<

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited February 2014
    Go for it and never look back! The perfect combo is a large and a small,but that means only two eggs! My third egg was my medium and it is strictly my baking egg...it's virgin as it has never had meat in it! Then my Mini came along and it is great as a carry here and carry there egg! To date I have only had 3 of my 4 fired up at the same time...but there is always tomorrow!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Do it. Worth the investment, probably not. The rate of return is only measured in happiness. I have XL down thru mini, and I use the medium on 95% of all cooks. I have used three eggs at once, but using more than that never really happens. It's usually when I have a pizza party that more than one comes into play.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Have XL/Small here. Started out with the XL added the small about 8 months later. Have had both going together many times. Different temps, direct vs indirect, etc. Sear on one, finish on the other, or reverse. Many weeknight cooks can fit on the small. Small comes up to temp and cools down more quickly than the XL. I expect the difference won't be as dramatic small vs large, but now if it will fit on the small that's what I use. On the weekend when I'm doing a low and slow on the XL I have the small for lunch and apps.

Get it, you'll like it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Lovers gonna love Gino

I am a lover, not a fighter

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Go look in the kitchen and do you see two ovens? Same reason. I can have a turkey on one and ham on the other. Plus something on the Mini. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    When in Rome?

I have a large and a mini. Mini is super fun for super quick weeknight cooks.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Eveyrone's different. I suppose. I have a large and a mini. I bought the mini cuz I read one too many posts like the ones in this thread. One was plenty for me and I should have known that. In fact, I haven't used the mini in nearly a year! Even when I did use it, I never had them both going at the same time. Not once. It's enough of a pain to get one charcoal grill up and running. Forget two. But that's just me. Or maybe I'm just the only one who will admit it. :)

Asking people on here is pretty much pointless. Especially asking "multiple egg owners". You have to think about how YOU cook, how much you enjoy grilling, how many you cook for, whether or not you are willing to deal with charcoal (x 2) day after day and whether or not you need to cook everything on an egg!  I'm fine throwing stuff on the stovetop or in the oven.

I'm just glad my second one was the cheapest one they make. Will never understand the folks with 3-4-5 or more eggs. Someone said something about not regretting it after 10 years. I regretted my second egg after 10 MONTHS! 

For me, one was enough.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Don't do it. Let me get it for a good price instead. I only have 1 small.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I like having 2 eggs, I can cook the apps on my medium and main meal on the XL.

I cooked the entire superbowl meal at once like this.
  • I have a large and small combo, and we love it. Two different temps, appy's on one, low and slow on the other, or more grill surface if you are having to feed more mouths.
    Go for it. You'll love it.
    :D
    Large, small, and a mini
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Eveyrone's different. I suppose. I have a large and a mini. I bought the mini cuz I read one too many posts like the ones in this thread. One was plenty for me and I should have known that. In fact, I haven't used the mini in nearly a year! Even when I did use it, I never had them both going at the same time. Not once. It's enough of a pain to get one charcoal grill up and running. Forget two. But that's just me. Or maybe I'm just the only one who will admit it. :)

Asking people on here is pretty much pointless. Especially asking "multiple egg owners". You have to think about how YOU cook, how much you enjoy grilling, how many you cook for, whether or not you are willing to deal with charcoal (x 2) day after day and whether or not you need to cook everything on an egg!  I'm fine throwing stuff on the stovetop or in the oven.

I'm just glad my second one was the cheapest one they make. Will never understand the folks with 3-4-5 or more eggs. Someone said something about not regretting it after 10 years. I regretted my second egg after 10 MONTHS! 

For me, one was enough.
    Gosh! Michael...I can't believe you were even THIS kind! Just an idea - why not sell that BGE while you can still get something for it and buy some more Webers? I AM NOT being nasty - I just know how much you hate BGE - maybe others here don't realize your "jaded opinion!" Good night. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Have to agree with the majority here.  I have a Large, Medium and Small.  Started with the Large, got the Medium and then the Small.  I've never had all three of them going at the same time but have had 2 going multiple times.  

While I too can make decent meals using the oven or the stove top I have more fun cooking on my Eggs and feel that the food tastes better.  Maybe this is because when I was young my grandfather cooked on charcoal and after he passed I only had grilled food off of gassers until my buddy got his Egg. 

To each his own, but I could never go back to having just the one Egg. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    My son enjoys cooking, his attention span is too short to stay with a entire cook, but please believe he will have lots of egged bbq memories lol!
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    Def recommend two eggs. Had a medium for years until my wife bought me a demo large at Eggtoberfest. You will appreciate the small when you don't need as much space. You will also like the charcoal savings as we'll.
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I have never used all 4 of my Eggs at once before. I'm not even sure I've had 3 of them cooking at once but I've definitely had two Eggs going many times either cooking for large gatherings or simply to pair different meats with different smoking woods or cook at different temps. In competition we have 4 Eggs going at once and I have cooked on 2 XLs and a Mini while cooking for an Eggfest.

If you need or want portability a small is a good size. I like to use the smallest a Egg necessary to do the job and save some lump.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    My mini has recently seen a big uptick in use. I set it up next to my back porch so I wouldn't have to walk to the large over 10 yards of snow covered ice! At my place, Mini=every day cooking, Large=weekend fun or crowds. I live the option of having hot and "cool" eggs.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have the large and the small. I dont fire them up at the same time as often as I thought I would, but often enough that I dont regret getting it. I have also taken it camping, tailgaiting, on vacation.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Depends how many people you maybe cooking for. I have one egg and it is a medium. Have always had one egg since 1985 and have found that it has always been enough for the wife and son. Now the son gone off to college so the one medium egg is enough for the two of us. If I have to I can double up on the grates like I did for wings last Friday night.
    A big factor is do you want to spend that extra $$$$$ on another egg and do you have the room for it
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Don't do it. In fact, give me the number of whoever is selling the small so I can tell them that you don't need it. :-)
  • I appreciate all the comments and I am pretty much convinced on the second egg. As long as the deal goes through and its a good price.
  • RRP said:

For me, one was enough.
    Gosh! Michael...I can't believe you were even THIS kind! Just an idea - why not sell that BGE while you can still get something for it and buy some more Webers? I AM NOT being nasty - I just know how much you hate BGE - maybe others here don't realize your "jaded opinion!" Good night. 

Let me know how throwing stones in the glass house turns out for you Ron. Although I suppose there is a difference in not liking the BGE and not liking the people who make the BGE
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    I have a large and a medium, I use the large the most (I don't know why just habit I guess). But to answer your question, I cook the main dish/dishes on the large and apps, sides etc on the medium. I love the large/medium combo and use both several times a year.  I agree with Mickey, BYS1981, Smokesniffer, etc. buy it you will love it. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • insaneh
    insaneh Posts: 112
    RRP said:
    Go for it and never look back! The perfect combo is a large and a small,but that means only two eggs! My third egg was my medium and it is strictly my baking egg...it's virgin as it has never had meat in it! Then my Mini came along and it is great as a carry here and carry there egg! To date I have only had 3 of my 4 fired up at the same time...but there is always tomorrow!
    Thats a great idea.
    Dead smack in the middle of NH
  • RRP said:

For me, one was enough.

Yeah Michael. You have apparently transgressed the unwritten law!

Steve 

Caledon, ON