Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Beef Tenderloin (pics)

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Did my first beef tenderloin on the egg. Seasoned with EVOO, salt, and pepper. Setup the small with my CI DO lid upside down on the factory grid on the firering, raised grid on that. The DO lid acted as an indirect barrier for the roast phase. Went at 300* until 125* IT.

Pulled it and tented with AF. Pulled the raised grid and DO lid, removed the firering and put the grid on the firebox and the DO lid back on the grid, just above the fire. Got the temp up to 600* and seared each side for about 1 minute. Turned out perfect.

Also attempted the Bearnaise sauce from the BGE cookbook. Finished it too early and attempted to keep it warm... Yep, it separated. Lesson learned.

Also did a head of cauliflower and some spuds on the XL. And now have some cookies on.

imageimageimageimage
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Very nice
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    great job all the way around!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Top notch!  

Also- thanks for the tip on inverting the CI lid for the small!  Brilliant! 
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Options
    Well done
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    What's the hottest your egg will be at where u can put in a cold Stine without cracking?
    Seattle, WA
  • DMW
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    What's the hottest your egg will be at where u can put in a cold Stine without cracking?

Not sure, it was down below 300* when we decided to do the cookies from frozen dough. Put the stone on and opened things up to get it up to 375* and let the stone preheat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Next time you want keep béarnaise warm without separating, try one of those stainless heat/cold travel cups or a thermos flask. I do that with hollandaise for eggs benedict. You can do the sauce about half an hour ahead and then worry about getting the poached eggs right and all the other stuff. It holds really well and will probably collapse before it separates. Try adding a smudge of Dijon mustard to help it to hold, even if the recipe doesn't call for it.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Beautiful! I'm shooting for cooking one of those this week.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
  • DMW
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

@HDumptyEsq Great idea, will keep that in mind!

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Awesome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    @DMW  What are we looking at in the first picture?  I do not see a Firering or Firebox?   If the grid is indeed sitting on the firering then how far below the Gasket level is the firering.  I thought it was supposed to be 3 inches but yours looks quite a bit more.  I don't have a small but when I look in my Egg from the top I see the firering and the firebox sitting inside the egg.  Maybe its an optical illusion?? 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • DMW
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    @DMW  What are we looking at in the first picture?  I do not see a Firering or Firebox?   If the grid is indeed sitting on the firering then how far below the Gasket level is the firering.  I thought it was supposed to be 3 inches but yours looks quite a bit more.  I don't have a small but when I look in my Egg from the top I see the firering and the firebox sitting inside the egg.  Maybe its an optical illusion?? 
    @jhl192 The grid is on the Firebox. After the roast phase I removed the Firering to get the cast iron closer to the coals for the sear. Made for a nice hot surface to get a great Maillard reaction.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Wow! That should be plenty hot!!!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very well done! That beef looks delicious.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Eggcellent!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Nice!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• DMW
    Options
    @Chris_Wang Thanks! It was yours a couple weeks ago that reminded me I had one in the freezer.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

@DMW....havent tried one yet, but I see it in my near future.....hopefully warmer future.

Looks great !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Very nice!!!  Love this method - makes reverse sear sooo much easier!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”