Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

33 Days to Salado Reminder

Options

33 Days and Counting

With only 33 days left to Salado, (March 15th), we have 123 Attendees Pre-registered.  Among them, there are 53 Cooks/Cooks Helpers, or 25 Cook Teams.

So we're off to a good start.  At this rate we can expect at least 300 Attendees, probably closer to 400.  That number is important because I'm telling them to all come hungry.  So Cooks... you can plan on a sizable crowd to provide your treats to.  And no, you don't have to provide 400 servings of everything you cook.  50 to 100 servings is enough depending on what it is.  Besides, by the time some of the Tasters get half way through the many tables offering a snack, they will be full as ticks and happy as clowns. 

We have a special treat this year from our Egghead friend from Limerick, Ireland, Roger "IrishRog" Beck.  He is 'crossing the pond' to attend his first American Eggfest.  And that's not all, after a couple of days at the Chicken Ranch, he plans to cook some genuine Irish Pork Ribs provided by the American distributor out of Jacksonville, Florida.  Yes, Roger must be one smooth talking Irishman to talk the company out of some pork ribs.  If I recall my catechism classes, Adam was talked out of at least one of his ribs by a smooth-talking Someone in the Garden of Eden a long, long time ago.  Could it be that Roger is that good???

And keep in mind, he wants to meet as many Eggheads as possible, see as much of Texas as possible, experience as much of the Salado Eggfest as possible, and have as much fun as possible while he's here.  So let's all help make it possible for him go back home with plenty of stories to tell of his Texas Adventure.  Maybe he'll like us so much he will visit again next year.

Meanwhile, I have it on good authority (from Roger himself) that he will be wearing a kilt so that he can take advantage of the cool, uplifting Salado breeze.  Naturally, I'll be wearing mine, at least part of the time.  I'm sure there will be a few others who are  brave enough to be Salado Fashionable.  If you're not up to wearing a kilt, you can surely wear some Irish Green.  Everyone knows Irish Green is a fun color, and it helps keep the snakes away.  After all, it is St. Patrick's Day Weekend.

So, if you're either thinking about coming to Salado, or definitely coming to Salado, now's as good'a time as any to Register.  And as always, a team (namely me) is standing by to receive and process your registrations.  Registering now will save you and us a lot of time later.  For sure, those 33 days are clicking off 86,400 seconds at a time until it's time to play.

Here's the registration link: [url]http://saladoregistration.blogspot.com/[/url]

And if you just want to let some of your family or friends know about Salado, here's the link:  [url]http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com/[/url]

And don't forget, if you're interested in purchasing one or more of the Demo Eggs or Big Green Egg EGGcessories at a really great price, here's the link:  [url]http://demoeggs.blogspot.com/[/url]

And finally, we're giving away four Mini Big Green Eggs to four lucky Registered Attendees.  You could go home with a Mini Egg without cashing in your Lucky Charms.

See you in Salado.

Spring "Fest Scribe" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Leroy,

Norma is booking flights today. Guess I should register. Not crossing any ponds though unless you count Lake Erie.

Edit: Sorry link isn't working in the GWN

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Don't have your, or Miss Judy's, e-mail anymore. Can you please e-mail me at steveanelson@hotmail.com?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Salado Photography. .."So You'll Remember".
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Options

henapple said:
    Mois ici?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Dang-someday I'll make the pilgrimage.  And if Roger jumps straight-in then he may fail to recall the later evening events-just have to have a "do-over" next year.  I'm sure the "fun-meter" will be pegged "high" as it should be. 
    After action summaries not eggspected til at least mid-week.. And "Beware the Ides of March".
    :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    Options

henapple said:

Mois ici?

Stop the French $@%# or whatever you Eskimos speak
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Its Canadian beer... like Dos Equis but tastes better than PBR.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    Almost forgot that I had a real question for @Mickey or @Spring_Chicken - will any tables be provided or should cooks plan to bring their own?

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    caliking said:
    Almost forgot that I had a real question for @Mickey or @Spring_Chicken - will any tables be provided or should cooks plan to bring their own?
    We have a very limited number of tables. please bring em if you got em....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    Options
    Gotcha. I don't think I can bring a long table but I'll rustle up a couple of tables to work on.

• Mickey
    Options
    We had a room open at the host hotel Inn On The Creek come up. Last one. We do have rooms at the Holiday Inn Express and Best Western as well. If any problems get with me please. 254.289.1877 - Mickey
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Options
    My credit card didn't bounce again did it?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Options
    My credit card didn't bounce again did it?

Yes. Yes it did.

• Little Steven
    Options
    You really don't want me there do you Mic? I don't care! Flights are booked, dogs looked after, prepping food. Sorry

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Options
    Just thinking you and henapple. This is a very small village.

• Little Steven
    Options
    It's me and Cali you need to worry about. And Cazzy, and Henapple, Cen-Tex if he gets his big boy pants back...... just thinking, most people I know tend to embarrass themselves.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    Options
    Hillary Clinton. ..we take a, er...it takes a village
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I've been known to drink enough that she looks hot...just sayin'

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    @L_S-there isn't enough alcohol on the planet for that to happen even if you eye her as a foreigner!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    We'll have to tip a few sometime Lou
    B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @mickey, are VI and Cen tex going to make it? Nolaegghead? Where the hell have they been?
  • Mickey
    Options
    @mickey, are VI and Cen tex going to make it? Nolaegghead? Where the hell have they been?

VI should. Nola thinking. Cen-Tex has SxSW going and tied up.

• henapple
    Options
    Guy walks into KFC and asks for the Hillary Clinton meal. ..2 huge thighs, small breast and a left wing.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Mickey said:

Should be a winner. Think maybe winner. Tied up loser. Amirite?
  • caliking
    Options
    I don't think we need to worry about the little idea man causing a ruckus in the bucolic village... He needs to make it past Customs first - I stopped paying attention after he said something about stuffing a moose in his suitcase.

Unless that's Canadianese for something naughty...

• Mickey
    Options
    Mickey said:

Sounds like  Cen-Tex will be able to carve out a few hours midday to visit between sxsw. He ask if about drinking before noon, I offered to introduce him to henapple:::::: nuf said....

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    caliking said:
    I don't think we need to worry about the little idea man causing a ruckus in the bucolic village... He needs to make it past Customs first - I stopped paying attention after he said something about stuffing a moose in his suitcase. Unless that's Canadianese for something naughty...
    He was talking about his Moose Knuckles jacket. Moose Knuckles has a slightly different meaning with the unwashed masses of the US of A. He is in for a treat!
  • TxTech25
    TxTech25 Posts: 19
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I have never been to an Eggfest, but my inlaws live in Salado, and we do not make it down there from Amarillo often enough. I don't think I will be able to bring an Egg, is that ok?  We could probably bring some food, but it wouldn't be egged. I am trying to talk the FIL into getting an Egg due to how much I love mine. I think he would love it cause he loves to bbq and is a great cook. I just want to make sure it is cool before I register. And I also want to make sure it is ok that I bring some non-eggers. Also, what are the ages of people that are there. I am only 25, but I want to get some great tips and pointers and experience some different foods than what I would normally make. I just don't want my wife (or me because I am halfway shy) to feel out of place haha.
    Wreck 'Em!
    - J in Amarillo, Tx
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    I just got my XL BGE and I have never attended an Eggfest but we live 2 hours away so this might be possible for us. I want to know more about the event so I am posting to keep tabs on this thread. I'm going to do some more searches for info right now.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • caliking
    Options
    @TxTch25 - the Salado fest is for eggheads and noneggheads alike. You really have no excuse to miss it if your in-laws live IN Salado! :) People of all ages attend so don't worry. @henapple is will be anyone's BFF for a PBR six-pack.

You don't need to bring your egg. Don't feel obligated to bring food - I shamelessly mooched off of everyone last year. Bring some extra beers in your cooler to share and all will be good. Or don't. You'll have a great time either way. If you register to cook, you can cook on one of the demo eggs for sale there, but may have to share it with another cook.