Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

About to Purchase an Egg!

My tax return is soon to be here and I'll be purchasing my large Green Egg. This is a quote I got from a local vendor...

"The Large Big Green Egg with the Stand, Side Tables, Charcoal, Fire Starters, Ash Tool, Assembled and local Delivery is $949.00"

How is that as far as price? Any other "must have" accessories I should get at the same time? I love to smoke meats so anything that goes along with that is a priority for me :)

Thanks for any suggestions.
Gordon
South Florida
·

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,215
    First off congratulations. Are you anywhere near central tx? Eggfest next month and you'll save a bunch of money. That price doesn't sound bad but depends on where you're at.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • I'm in South Florida...that's from a company in Pompano Beach...how's the quote for my area?
    Gordon
    South Florida
    ·
  • In the Great White North, that would be a steal. Welcome here!
    ·
  • Your going to need a plate setter or something similar. The price seams to be about right. I have a XL and if I had to do over I probably would not have got the plate setter but instead went with one of the set ups from the Ceramic Grill Store like the adjustable rig. Good luck and plan on putting on a few pounds, the food is that good!

Chuck

·
  • I'm in South Florida...that's from a company in Pompano Beach...how's the quote for my area?
    There is a fest in Melbourne March 14th and 15th.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Thanks Steve, I'll look into that...I went to high school up in that area
    Gordon
    South Florida
    ·
  • Cheers

I doubt there is room at the host hotel but plenty of other options.

http://sunshinestateeggfest.com/?greeneggers=1

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • no worries, my parents still live in the area :)
    Gordon
    South Florida
    ·
  • Congrats. Definitely need plate setter.
    ·
  • I'll definitely pick up the plate setter. I have a wing competition at work next month so hoping to have my egg going by then and experimenting with some wings! I have one co worker in the competition that uses an egg and he's already claiming victory lol.
    Gordon
    South Florida
    ·
  • I'll definitely pick up the plate setter. I have a wing competition at work next month so hoping to have my egg going by then and experimenting with some wings! I have one co worker in the competition that uses an egg and he's already claiming victory lol.
    I wouldn't get a platesetter. Look at the adjustable rig from ceramicgrillstore.com. You will spend an extra hun or so but tou will gain a lot of versatility.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    You have to do @Cazzy wings. If you're new here. ..@Cazzy runs the forum.
    ·
    I wouldn't get a platesetter. Look at the adjustable rig from ceramicgrillstore.com. You will spend an extra hun or so but tou will gain a lot of versatility.
    Is this what you're referring to?  http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/big-green-egg-large-adjustable-rig.html
    Gordon
    South Florida
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,719
    I'll definitely pick up the plate setter. I have a wing competition at work next month so hoping to have my egg going by then and experimenting with some wings! I have one co worker in the competition that uses an egg and he's already claiming victory lol.
    Is this what you're referring to?  http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/big-green-egg-large-adjustable-rig.html
    Yes.  I don't have a platesetter and have never missed it because of my AR.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • Yes, I would recommend the oval combo. You will still need a pizza stone or baking steel. A thermapen and a few other items. We can help you out with getting rid of your extra cash and then some. Someone else chime in here on the rig.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • lol thank god for christmas gift cards and my tax return. I definitely want all I need...I love to smoke pork butt, love to do wings and steaks as well.  Would love to get it all in one shot.
    Gordon
    South Florida
    ·
  • Well there are allsorts. There are several pit controllers out there for overnights. I have a couple but don't use them. I think Thermapen has a sale on right now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • My plate setter works GREAT however the versatility of the adjustable rig with a stone in the bottom for indirect plus a pizza stone is something to consider. You are going to want to cook at several different levels both direct and indirect, I use 5 inch clay pots and a 18 inch grid for raised cooks on my XL and it works fine but If I had to do over I would have went with Adj Rig, I will probably get it anyway. You should consider going to the eggfest with cash and take one home from there.

·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,550
    Your price sounds fine from a dealer to me. You would save a couple hundred at an egg fest but $200 on $1k not a deal breaker in my book.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 1,120
    Well there are allsorts. There are several pit controllers out there for overnights. I have a couple but don't use them. I think Thermapen has a sale on right now.

Sale ends today, I believe.
    NOLA
    ·
  • I can feel the addiction already starting o_O
    Gordon
    South Florida
    ·
  • Listen Rookie...you have no idea.....I know a guy that has eight eggs

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Congratulations and welcome to the obsession! Enjoy!
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
    ·
  • Timbo66Timbo66 Posts: 109
    Welcome aboard. You will be Egg poor in no time at all. Its addicting.
    Large Egg, Warner Robins,Ga
    ·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,031
    Listen Rookie...you have no idea.....I know a guy that has eight eggs
    Me too, Steven.......he's a little short guy from Canada!! :))
    ·
  • I like the looks of the adjustable rig...I'll go ahead and get the oval one and the foil ring. I already have a thermapen and probe as well I used with my current smoker. I've never done pizza so not sure if I'll get a pizza stone right away if that's it's only purpose
    Gordon
    South Florida
    ·
    edited February 2014
    My mini schnauzer was 8 teats
    ·

• henapple said:
    My mini schnauzer was 8 teats
    No wonder new folks are shy about posting here. What an adzole

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,306
    That's a fair price with the shelves. I paid 833 with no shelves but I got the platesetter, stand, ash tool, bag of lump, and some starters. Got mine at an EggFest.
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 598
    Yes, I would recommend the oval combo. You will still need a pizza stone or baking steel. A thermapen and a few other items. We can help you out with getting rid of your extra cash and then some. Someone else chime in here on the rig.
    I agree with LS. Had my AR since Christmas.  I do not use the platesetter anymore.  I have the R&B combo with the D extender.  Also got the pizza stone. Go for the AR and talk to the folks at the Ceramic Grill Store.  They will help you.  The foil ring is the bomb IMHO - I use it all the time  - no need for drip pans.  The T-Pen is a must have so bust out another three hundy or so to do it right for the AR and T-Pen.
    Milton, GA.
    ·