Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone opinion

Options
I broke my first pizza stone the other day and am in the market for a new one. I broke a Pampered Chef one (broke on maybe the fifth use...temp around 650) and noticed on the site that brand has a tendency to do so. Can some folks chime in with their pizza stone experiences and what brand they would recommend for a new one? Thanks in advance and for someone like me who received a BGE for Xmas, this site has been an invaluable tool. You guys rock!

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I used my SWMBO's Pampered Chef stone until I reading a thread stating to never use one in egg because they tend to crack under high temps above 550F+ (her P.C. is 15+yrs old so breaking it would've been muy no bueno). I now use BGE stone. But, the our P.C. stone is perfectly seasoned now :-D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • HeathBar
    Options
    Consider just using Firebricks.  Cheap and easy and gives a great crust.
    XL BGE 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    BGE stone.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    BGE stone

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    The BGE stone is made of the same ceramic as your egg. My stone is 14 years old and gets plenty of use.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have a BGE stone that has been through many 700-900° cooks. Still in one piece and does a fine job. The Emile Henry stone seems to get good reviews too, though I don't have one. Some folks like a baking steel. I think they're about $80-120 though, depending on thickness (and where you buy it). One of these days, I'm going to get a $15 piece of scrap steel plate and try it out. That's what the baking steel guy did. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

I bought a piece steel from a local shop for $15. 

If you were close I would give you my steel since I don't bake pies in my it any more.

I have a Emile Henry stone and really like it. There a little pricey but are really nice. Sometimes you catch them on sale.

• SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    BGE Stone
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Baking Steel.  It can be used for more than just pizza and it should never need to be replaced.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• bettysnephew
    Options
    BGE stone.  Expensive, but lasts for years.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    BGE Stone, pampered chef can't handle the nuclear temps the egg can throw at it.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    Ceramic Grill Store has some really nice ones.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    BGE stone has worked flawlessly for me so far.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    Bge stone works great
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    BGE stones in my Large & XL. Ceramic Grill Store stone in my Small. Both brands are thick and have worked well for me.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • fstylz21
    Options
    The consensus seems to be the BGE stone. I appreciate eveyone who took the time to weight in. Pizza has been great on the Egg and I am already jonesing to replace the stone and make some more pies. The achievable temps obviously make a huge difference on the crust but the wood flavor that the pie soaks up is amazing. Thanks again all I really appreciate your help!
  • bvc
    bvc Posts: 37
    Options
    Round kiln shelf from a pottery store.
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I had a pizza stone crack on me in the oven a few years ago, it happened the day after I washed it in the sink.  Haven't washed a pizza stone since and haven't broken one, might be coincidence but....  If anything is stuck on the stone I scrape it off and it seems to be fine.

Gerhard
  • TurtleTiger
    TurtleTiger Posts: 93
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I have seen a suggestion I believe on Naked Whiz to just flip the stone the next time you cook and burn off the stuff on the bottom.  I like this because it doesn't involve any scrapping.

gerhardk said:
    I had a pizza stone crack on me in the oven a few years ago, it happened the day after I washed it in the sink.  Haven't washed a pizza stone since and haven't broken one, might be coincidence but....  If anything is stuck on the stone I scrape it off and it seems to be fine.

Gerhard

• scooter759
    Options
    I have used my Emile Henry stone and the BGE stone side by side on dealer demo cooks. I prefer the Emile Henry stone. Gets to temp quicker, has handles, and I've had it on with the egg past 750 on numerous occasions.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Unless I missed it I don't think anyone - myself included - asked just how you were using that PC stone. Whether it is a PC, BGE or a EH you really need a barrier such as a plate setter or bricks as well as a pizza stone. We can argue about legs up or down, spacers or not, grate involved or not, but hopefully you aren't using using a stone and a grate!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EGG_Daddy
    Options
    Bed, Bath & Beyond has one for $10-$15.  I dropped it (drunk) so I don't know how it would hold up with regular use.

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Bge has been great to me...I use a plate setter with some foiled bricks to raise the stone. ..I've only had mine for about 6 months but I have been nasty to it...from -20 to 600+ and back several times...no issues...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • fstylz21
    Options
    I'm using three 1/4 inch copper nuts to provide some space between the placesetter and stone. I had used the PC stone five or so times but it cracked on the first time I got it up to 700. I;m going to look into the BGE ones. thanks again for all the help guys and when I have gained the knowledge and experience you all I have, I will pass it on to future posters!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    EGG_Daddy said:
    Bed, Bath & Beyond has one for $10-$15.  I dropped it (drunk) so I don't know how it would hold up with regular use.
    I have a $15 stone that has cooked at least 50 pies, still going strong. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • calracefan
    Options
    I had a PC Stone , made several cooks with it sub 600. Spent too much time inside while heating up got to 650 PC Stone blew up, only thing kept it in the egg was the dome was closed. Bought a BGE stone , so far so good !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • scooter759
    Options
    My setup for my large is PS legs down, BGE grate, BGE grate extender, Emile Henry stone. Guessing I have at least 100 cooks that way.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Woot.com has Emile Henry stones occasionally. I got one for $19.99 last year from them, and it works great (Normally $50). If it breaks, I'll probably go BGE, but it was wrth the gamble.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle