Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Brisket Flat

Options
Alton
Alton Posts: 509
Smoking a small flat with. Mickeys Coffee Rub. Low and slow.. 225 dome temp over pecan chunks and beer bath. Using a apple cider / JD 50:50 spritz every 30 mins.... Wish me luck
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Good luck!
    NOLA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Here's to good luck and an observation...Usually there is a dome to cooking grid temperature off-set of 20-40*F (dome higher) when starting out with an indirect cook.  That plus the dome opening for spritzing every 30 mins or so could make for a very extended cook given most briskets (flat or packer) tend to finish in the high 190's to low 200's.  Finish key is probing the thickest part of the flat with little to no resistance in either direction so it's independent of the temperature.
    You may want to dial up your dome temp to around 250-275*F just to get this cook finished at around 2 hrs/#.  Disclaimer-all prior is an opinion and we all know what those are worth.  Regardless enjoy the end results...BTW-that's a powerful spritz...JD
    :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • grussem
    grussem Posts: 120
    Options
    Based on past experience not just with brisket but with other meats I would avoid spritzing it.  The BGE does a great job of keeping food moist and you may want to avoid opening and closing the lid as well.  Also, just an observation, but there does not seem to be much of a fat cap which may dry our your brisket.  Based on my personal experience (with a similar looking brisket) your best bet may be to go at a higher temp.  While the BGE does a great job at keeping stuff moist you still run the risk of drying it out.  I can't wait to see the end product! :-)  Keep us posted.

• Alton
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Actually the Dome temp dialed in at 250... Don't mind the slow cook.. Will start probing at 190IT and will cook untitled little to no resistance ... Thanks for the advice
  • Alton
    Options
    Mickey's Coffee Rub is the bomb!! Perfect balance between heat and sweet.. Not the moistes Brisket I've ever done, but moist and extremely tender never the less. The Beer bath,spritz and FTC for over 2hrs must have aided in keeping such a lean cut moist .... Will repeat this one often...
  • Alton
    Options
    :)>-
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Looks good sir, make some Sammie's for the snow we are supposed to get tomorrow and enjoy.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.