Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild hog????

Options
A buddy of mine killed this hog last night and said I could have one of the front shoulders or one of the hams... I've never cooked either of them, so which should I get and can I get some advice on how to cook it. Thanks in advance

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I rubbed up some shoulders and grilled them raised direct till 160 then plopped them on a plate and ate like a big turkey leg. I enjoyed.
    Dunedin, FL
  • awm
    awm Posts: 181
    Options
    I was thinking about getting one of the hams and cooking low and slow to around 175? I was told there wasn't much fat on wild hogs and that injecting with vinegar and apple juice would help.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I tried that too. It turned out pretty good as well. I think I went to 200 though. Didn't fall apart which wasn't a surprise but it wasn't dry at all which was a surprise.
    Dunedin, FL
  • nicklentini1
    Options
    Try the IT to 195-200 then FTC for a hour

2 LBGE's, Mathews Z7 Extreme putting meat in my EGG, Lovin life in South FL

• nicklentini1
    Options
    Where are you located? I got 4 hogs last Saturday. One was a 170 fat sow.

2 LBGE's, Mathews Z7 Extreme putting meat in my EGG, Lovin life in South FL

• awm
    Options
    I'm located about 45 min south of Atlanta, but my buddy hog hunts somewhere on the other side of griffin, I was supposed to go with him the other night but had to much going on. About how long do y'all think it may take to get done?
  • awm
    Options
    And we're off... Injected it with apple juice and vinagar and rubbed it down with a little bit of everything. Wish me luck haha
  • awm
    Options
    I'm planning on wrapping it in foil at 165 and cooking it a little longer but it's been stuck at 156 for ever... The wife has invited people over at 6 so I hope it's done by then. We will see
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have never cooked just the shoulder but I have done a few whole and some halved. I usually marinate about 12 hours in pineapple juice(helps remove some of the gamy taste). Then inject with your injection of choice and rub with your favorite rub. I cook between 215 and 235 degrees until internal temp hits 175 then rap with a 50-50 mix of apple and pineapple juice. I cook to a internal of 195-203. Just depends on how the meat feels.I also sample the meat for taste as its getting around the 195 mark and remove the done parts. Hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Forgot to say I always use a water pan.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• awm
    Options
    Thanks for the info... I'm thinking we're not gonna be done in time for the 6 o clock plans, it's still at 160 and not seeming to be any hurry in going higher. A lot of what I've been reading says to pull it off around 165 to 175. I may end up doing that instead of going to 200 like I planned on
  • awm
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the info... I'm thinking we're not gonna be done in time for the 6 o clock plans, it's still at 160 and not seeming to be any hurry in going higher. A lot of what I've been reading says to pull it off around 165 to 175. I may end up doing that instead of going to 200 like I planned on
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    awm said:

I'm located about 45 min south of Atlanta, but my buddy hog hunts somewhere on the other side of griffin, I was supposed to go with him the other night but had to much going on. About how long do y'all think it may take to get done?

The other side of me? That would be west if Dallas. Lol

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• awm
    Options
    We'll after 11.5 hours around 250 it got up to 178 I took it off and wrapped in foil towel and put it in the cooler. Took a long time to cook and I'm really not to excited about the turn out. It's not bad just not that great.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....