Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Todays cook - Brisket Flat and Pork Butt

Options
The plan is to cook a 6.5 lb brisket flat adn a 6.2 lb boneless porkbutt.  Using the Adjustable rig and spider.  Indirect stone on spider.  Putting the brisket on the 2nd to lowest notch on the Rig and the pork putt directly over it on the top grid.  Hopefully the pork butt drippings will help moisturize the brisket flat.  Planning on 250-275 until ~165 then foiling the meats and cooking to 200 or done/tenderness.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Loaded up the Egg with Royal oak lump right up tot he spider (into the fire ring).  Throughout the lump used hickory and pecan chips/chunks.

Lit the Egg at 6:15 AM - Taking a long long time this morning to come up to temps.  Had to fiddle with the settings a few times this morning but Egg is at 240 now and will give it a few more minutes as the smoke is clear and starting to smell good before adding the meat. 

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Some pics

Garnerville, NY
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan, enjoy! Looks like a bit of snow might drift in at the end of the day, nothing that should be a problem.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Sounds good. Makes me wished I had planned a cook!!
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Used 50/50 of Jakes Coffee Rub and Dizzy Pig Cow Lick on the Brisket and Bad Byrons on the butt.  I rubbed both meats with the rubs last ngiht about 11:00 PM and wrapped overnight in the fridge.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Sounds great and I'm sure it will turn out just the same.  Enjoy the end results!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Nicely done... now you just have to wait for what I am sure will be great results!
  • robnybbq
    Options
    4 hours in. Brisket temp is 150. Egg flu tainted between 225 and 280 over the time. Egg was locked in at 250 and crept up to 280 so I adjusts he bottom vent about a 1/2 screen width and it's back down to 237. Might be time for a controller.

Garnerville, NY
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I used the screen on my last cook and it held rock solid for the entire brisket cook. Previously i just adjusted the lower vent not using the screen at all and got fluctuating temps from time to time.  
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    edited February 2014
    Options
    ROBNYBBQ mentioned it might be time to get a controller. I bought my XLEgg for the sole purpose of doing cooks 4 hours or more. I did many cooks with great results without a controller but I did need to watch the temps and make adjustments during the cook. When I finally decided to get a controller, I decided on the Stoker. Other than the Egg, this was the best investment I made for doing my long slow cooks. All my Brisket and Butt cooks I start at a low temp, 215 degrees and move the temp up the last few hours to firm up the bark. This method would not be as easy without the Stoker. I chose the Stoker because I can monitor the meat temps and adjust the pit temp remotely with my iPhone or iPad
  • robnybbq
    Options
    6.5 hours in and the meat is only 154. Could not wait so double foiled each and added apple cider to the Burt and a cup of brewed coffee to the brisket. Back on the egg.

Egg dropped to 218 then I adjusted a tiny bit and now at 300.

Will let it ride at 300 and wish for the best. Hopefully the brisket will be done in 2-2.5 hours as we have guests arriving for dinner. If it's not done then pizza down the street and leftovers for the next 3 weeks.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    You should be able to pull this off in the time-frame described-however, since you are up against the clock and everything is foiled then I would run on up to the 325-350*F range on the dome.  Early finish and the FTC hold will save the day.  And if running a bit long then a few social adult beverages will also work.  FWIW-YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    How'd it turn out???

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    ????
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Fought he temperature all day - something I did not wan to do. About 4:30 I tried to go to 300 bu he egg kept during down. Had to stir the coals to get the temps up. Definetly want a controller for lower temp longer duration cooks as this was too much messing around chasing temps in the cold weather th to did not want to do as I hate the cold.

Brisket very good flavor not super tender but fork cuttable. The center of the brisket was very good as more fat in that area. Not allot of fat on this brisket. The whole packers I have done came out more moist but this was a decent brisket - more sandwich quality IMHO.

Now to the pork butt. No more overnights on them. This butt was the best yet. It took 10 hours and even foiled at 150 after 6 hours. After foiling it took another 4 hours to get to 200 and pullable. Could have been less if the temps I the egg worked out better.

Leftovers do red up into vacusealed bags and into the freezer. One I the pulled pork packs left in the fridge for tacos tomorrow night.

All in all a good cook just too much babysitting the egg. I am getting a controller to make my life easier.

Garnerville, NY
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks good. Any thoughts on why you were having to chase temps? Normally I can get it stabile and it will stay within 20-30* degrees of target temp. I have gotten to where I just set the alarms on the Maverick for 30 lower and higher and don't even look at it unless the alarm goes off. Information overload is no fun. IMO

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    I've had problems getting consistent low and slow temps from Royal Oak for some time now, but it is the most readily available and most cost effective lump that I can obtain easily. The bags seem to contain smaller pieces then they used to and with a couple of kids, I don't really have time to actually sort lump, I just reach in and find a few big pieces to put in the bottom then dump on top. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Your flat looks great! Good job!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice smoke ring on the flat!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    They both look great! Nice job Rob!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Nice job- they look great!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• robnybbq
    Options
    Thanks guys.

No idea on why I was chasing the temps.  The past few low cooks have been this way.  Wasn't really windy out but it wsa cold and I hate standing out there.  I never turned on the Maverick alarms yesterday but would glance at it now and then and when I did the temps were way off where they were when I set them.  The Egg would be good a tamp for over an hour or so then drop out or climb high.

Besides the controller I think I may need to put a gasket back on.  Maybe there was more wind then I thought. since there was a slight gap since i had the Maverick probes there.

Garnerville, NY