Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Deep Dish Pizza Odyssey

First and foremost, the pics that are seen with the cast iron pan are of a pan that my Great Grandmother used to make fried chicken in.  I found the CI in my Dad's shop rusted to hell.  I put it in the egg at the hottest temps I could get for 30 minutes and rubbed it down with wadded aluminum foil.  I then put it in a bath of vinegar and rubbed it down again before putting in a 500 degree oven and EVOOing it for a couple hours to recondition it.  I probably should have just bought a new one but it meant a lot to my Dad that I put all the work into it and it is being used again.  

Now for the pizza! I did not make my own dough.  I used Trader Joe's dough (really good stuff).  My wife worked it with some flour and got it worked into the Cast Iron skillet that had a generous amount of EVOO in it. I have to give my wife lots of credit here.  She was instrumental in working the dough and building the pizza while I drank outside and handled the egg :)   

I then added a layer of mozzarella cheese, sauce, sausage, onions, green peppers, and mushrooms...

I then add LOTS more cheese. Here is right before I add it to the Egg that is settled in at a temp of 430 degrees(dome temp).

It was on the egg for exactly 38 minutes.  I rotated it a third of a rotation every 15 minutes.  The topping looked brown and the crust was done so I pulled it and took it out of the CI. 

The crust was PERFECT!

Here is a picture of the top...

And here is the finished product.  The crust was perfect!!! This is not the best pizza I have ever had, but it is better than any pizza we can get within 50 miles of where I live. 

LBGE
Zionsville, IN

Comments