Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's time !!!

Options
YankeeBBQ
YankeeBBQ Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok I have some free time this weekend and it's time to break in my egg. What should be my first cook on the egg ? Keep in mind it's a small.[p]Steve

Comments

• bbqwizard
    Options
    YankeeBBQ,[p]Hi Steve, You have to TRex a steak! Welcome to the clan.[p]phillip
    !

• RocketMan
    Options
    YankeeBBQ,[p]>>What should be my first cook on the egg ?<<[p]As Rocketwoman says - MEAT! ;-)[p]Try T-Rexing a nice thick steak or two (Rib Eye is my favorite...) - the method should be in the recipe section...[p]- Andy
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Would gotta be a nice thick steak in my opinion...I run my small egg up to 550°- 650° go for 90 seconds and turn the steak 90 degrees for the grill marks and go for another 90 seconds, flip and repeat the process and you`re done.....total cook time time 6 minutes, let it rest for about 5 minutes and you should have a perfect medium steak....season as you like...good luck and enjoy, you will love cooking on the small egg...

Wess
  • YankeeBBQ,[p]Pork Tenderlion or spatchcocked chicken![p]Larry
  • WessB
    Options
    Had a little problem... flip1.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    YankeeBBQ,
    since you have been bbqing for some time on outher smokers, i would also go the trex route for a first cook on the small. trex some centercut lamb chops or a boneless legg of lamg.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    YankeeBBQ,
    Humming bird wings Steve! Marinated in Padron of course :)[p]BBq bOB

• YankeeBBQ
    Options
    BBQ Bob Trudnak,[p]Fill me in. Link ? Marinate the wings or marinate the cook. I always get confused on that part
  • BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    YankeeBBQ,
    •2 lbs of wings
    •your favorite rub
    •2 cups of marinade
    •1 bottle of Padron Anejo or Perosado[p]Take the wings, marinade and rub and throw it in the trash.
    Take the bottle of Padron and slug. Pass to the person next to you and repeat until the bottle is empty. Good luck and enjoy! [p]Wait a minute you are the creator of this recipe![p]BBQ Bob

• Citizen Q
    Options
    BBQ Bob Trudnak,[p]Hey man, you just ran down my whole competition BBQ method. Of course I don't know from Padron, but I'm sure a case and a half of any 6% or higher ABV beer can be substituted without affecting the end result, right?[p]Cheers,
    Sean

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    ribsplus.jpg
    <p />YankeeBBQ,[p]Now that you are an egger, don't forget to take pictures of your first cook and post them right here. Steaks, chicken, chops, sausage or pork tenderloin are all good choices for your first egged cook. What the heck, try them all at one meal or the other.[p]Tonight I am doing veal chops on the small. Tomorrow will be venison and beef jerky on the larges and probably something on the small for lunch. Sunday I am feeding a Marine recently back from Iraq and his soon to be bride and he wants brisket and pork so thats what he'll get. See how this egg stuff gets addicting? The small is just the beginning. [p]It was great hanging with you and your Dad some this year. Looking forward to the next time. Have a good weekend...say hi to Dad for me... and don't forget the pics. :~)[p]Chuck
  • YankeeBBQ,[p]Chicken and let me know how many pieces you can fit on it!!! ;-)
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    YankeeBBQ,
    Nice thick steaks or chicken, maybe whole cornish game hens are definitely the way to go. Something you can do hot and fast, you'll definitely be impressed with yourself. Whatever you cook, load it up with lump beforehand and don't shut it down while you stop to dine. After you eat, go back outside and play with it for an few hours, get familiar with your new toy. See how long it takes to cool back down to BBQ temps, get used to holding low temps for a while so you'll know where your settings are.[p]Good Luck and enjoy.[p]Cheers,
    Sean

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    556dd887.jpg
    <p />YankeeBBQ,[p]I vote for country ribs (shoulder cut). They only take about 4 hours, which will give you some time to experiment and fine tune your fire and temperature control as well as time to enjoy some refreshments. Remember that the act of barbecuing is as important as the food. [p]Oh yeah, they are a very forgiving cut of meat too. You can use different rubs on each one and ponder things like "to sauce or not to sauce".[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • YankeeBBQ
    Options
    MMMPorkFat_jpg.jpg
    <p />I won't forget the pics. It was good hanging with you this year. See you on the trail.[p]Steve

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    YankeeBBQ,
    insure the fire box is lined up correctly with the lower vent... load her full of fresh lump. ..light her up. .. vents wide open. ...go nulear. . . pop on a couple of 2 inch thick steaks (tenderloins in this case). ..sear for 2 minutes per side. ..pull and let rest for 20 minutes while the egg comes down to 400 degrees and you take a couple of 'shots'. .. put the steaks back on for about 5 minutes per side. ...you won't be sorry. .. [p]DSCN0873.jpg[p]DSCN0879.jpg

• WessB
    Options
    flip2.jpg
    <p />YankeeBBQ,
    Cant get the pics to post in the new world...so I brought it back here.....[p]Wess

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    bbqwizard,[p]Then wok some shrimp scampi. My favorite on the small. Would you be so kind as to send the Raisin Bread recipe again.[p]Mike
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    dp20steaks.jpg
    <p />YankeeBBQ,
    A couple of TRex'd, Dizzy Pig CowLick Ribeyes would probably fit nicely on that Small.[p]Good Egging to you.[p]Mike, or "L" or Lawn Ranger

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    BBQ Bob Trudnak,[p]Very nice. Can you please post this in the recipe section?[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• bbqwizard
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]certainly![p]phillip[p]ps. Someone was kind enough to put it a more useful format for me.