Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Death to cyber q

Last night I started up a pork shoulder with my cyber q. Kept her solid the whole time as well as reported on the web interface..thie issue came at 6am. I was going to put some ribs on the grill along with the pork shoulder....wellllllll the cyber q display was turned off. I freaked cause I wasn't sure if the unit died or not. I unplugged it and the web interface stated open...plugged it back in and waited a minute and it. Connected to the net again. So my display has officially died. Boo

Comments

• chainsaw19chainsaw19 Posts: 252
    How old is it, mine a little over a year whacked out and started giving crazy readings on pit. I sent it back and waiting on response...given the price not thrilled about this and still waiting to hear if they are replacing/repairing for free....warranty period over but hoping for the best.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • minniemohminniemoh Posts: 603
    Good luck to both of you guys. For the price of it, some great support would be nice.
    L x2, M, and S 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 1,672
    Thanks for heads up, hope they treat u right.
    Seattle, WA
    Ill post an update when I have one
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • They've always taken care of me. I was one of the first people who had a Cyber q wifi.. I received it.. And had faulty network part
  • rtt121rtt121 Posts: 425
    They took great care of me.  Fixed me broken Digi Q II no questions asked.
  • Update. Mike cono over at bbq guru states that my screen is dead..and I can either buy another one for $210 or buy the part for $85 and install it myself..even though it states to not take the unit apart on the how to guide. Honestly he's being a dick. So I talked to something Jo. And I'm sending it in for a proper evaluation. If it can't be fixed for free I won't be a fan of bbq guru anymore
  • Keep us posted...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Let him know that there are several potential customers waiting this out to see how their customer service works.
  • laserdoc85laserdoc85 Posts: 540
    Maybe time for a pitmaster for half the cost and none of the headaches
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • The PitMaster thread had really got me wanting either one of those or a CyberQ. Your post sealed the deal, it's PitMaster.
    Large & Medium - Seattle
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 849
    Send him the link to this thread.  That will push me to pitmaster too.
    NOLA
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,253
    Yes, @mountaindewbass, please do keep us informed of how this comes out.
    TIA!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • I shall keep you posted. I'm thinking if they don't fix it for free I'll have them fix it for the $85 dollar part, if it does again they clearly the product is a lemon. Also what pissed me off was the guy was saying that cold weather caused the screen to malfunction. He kept mentioning freezing temps...I tried telling him that we don't get those kinds of temps in FLorida, man was he a dick.
  • RickyBobbyRickyBobby Posts: 487
    Good Luck
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!!
  • Maybe you should let them know that this thread has been viewed 475 times and counting.
  • WeberWho?WeberWho? Posts: 968
    edited February 6

Maybe you should let them know that this thread has been viewed 475 times and counting.

Not sure you want him reading this thread after Mountaindewbass called him a dick. I'd much rather have Mountaindewbass call him a little asshole. Much better suited when something breaks and isn't fixable :))
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 1,672
    Screw it, they don't take care of you make sure to burn em at the stake for the price that thing is..
    Seattle, WA
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,381
    Maybe time for a pitmaster for half the cost and none of the headaches
    Knock yourself out.  But before you get on the Pitmaster bandwagon lets get some data on how many Guru's are in the field vs. Pitmaster's.  I myself do not have that data, but I have been to a helluva lot of competition cooks and have never seen a Pitmaster in use.

My customer service experience with BBQ Guru has been second only to Tom at CGS.  They have replaced probes at no charge and gave me a carrying case for no charge because they missed a delivery date.  Electronics are electronics and they fail, I know, it's my business to fix them.  Just remember when a product has a double digit market share vs. a product with a single digit market share the failure ratio will be proportionate. 

We would all love to have a pit controller with a zero percent failure rate and a lifetime warranty, and trust me it could be built, but get ready to pay $1000.00 + for that unit.

Mike  

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • TheShaytoonTheShaytoon Posts: 258
    Most, and I actually mean all, electronics only have a one year warranty... Check the TV, the iPhone, pretty much all laptops, and cameras...

I'm actually surprised that they are willing to replace the defective piece. Apple won't. A power supply for the Samsung tv cost me $250 for a TV that costs 400 brand new...

I'm not saying this is right, I'm just saying that is industry standard...

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.
    Dallas, TX

• BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,381
    Most, and I actually mean all, electronics only have a one year warranty... Check the TV, the iPhone, pretty much all laptops, and cameras... I'm actually surprised that they are willing to replace the defective piece. Apple won't. A power supply for the Samsung tv cost me $250 for a TV that costs 400 brand new... I'm not saying this is right, I'm just saying that is industry standard...
    You are 100% correct.  Failure rate and warranty cost are built in to every electronic product.  I live in Nebraska and use mine year round.  That means they operate from 100*+ to below zero.  It's tough to offer an affordable product that operates in those conditions with a warranty longer than one year.

On top of that take into account the people that don't take good care of their stuff.  I'm not insinuating that any of the former posters are those guys, but those guys are out there; I see them every day in my business.  I own two DigiQ DX's a CyberQ and a PartyQ.  Some of them are four plus years old.  Other than probes (which don't count IMO), I have not had a single problem with any of them.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • RickyBobbyRickyBobby Posts: 487
    BOWHUNR said:
    Most, and I actually mean all, electronics only have a one year warranty... Check the TV, the iPhone, pretty much all laptops, and cameras... I'm actually surprised that they are willing to replace the defective piece. Apple won't. A power supply for the Samsung tv cost me $250 for a TV that costs 400 brand new... I'm not saying this is right, I'm just saying that is industry standard...
    You are 100% correct.  Failure rate and warranty cost are built in to every electronic product.  I live in Nebraska and use mine year round.  That means they operate from 100*+ to below zero.  It's tough to offer an affordable product that operates in those conditions with a warranty longer than one year.

On top of that take into account the people that don't take good care of their stuff.  I'm not insinuating that any of the former posters are those guys, but those guys are out there; I see them every day in my business.  I own two DigiQ DX's a CyberQ and a PartyQ.  Some of them are four plus years old.  Other than probes (which don't count IMO), I have not had a single problem with any of them.

Mike

Sounds like the BBQ Gurus are BOWHUNR approved :-@
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!!
  • jhl192jhl192 Posts: 586
    Keep us informed!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE 
  • RajunCajunRajunCajun Posts: 160

Seems like there are many product failures from these folks lately....myself included.  Chinese component influenced....possibly?

Good luck getting someone to "talk to you" from those folks.

• I agree @RajunCajun

They have always taken care of me. If I had an issue I would ship my device to them and they would promptly fix the issue and send it back.  Im hoping that's the case with my current issue. But their customer service via email has drastically dropped from previous experiences..thats whats got me worried about the company and there actual support.

Im not opposed to paying a little money to get it fixed. I took very good care of the cyber q and used it only a dozen times..which includes maybe 3-4 12+ cooks. Most of the cooks were 4 hours and under. Im hoping I had lemon parts and if I were to get it "fixed" it would perform better then before.  I looked into the stoker..it looks very solid and the cost isn't to bad compared to what I would be coming from. Im just not sure how to water proof it.  I have a custom insulated plastic box that the cyber q currently sits in.

How old is it, mine a little over a year whacked out and started giving crazy readings on pit. I sent it back and waiting on response...given the price not thrilled about this and still waiting to hear if they are replacing/repairing for free....warranty period over but hoping for the best.
    UPDATE:  I got an email today that they diagnosed the problem and fixed it at no charge...It was a minor issue...my unit is out of warranty so I was very pleased to hear that they were making it right.    So nothing but positive things to say from me, Ill be happy to get it back.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • Great news...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 849
    Hooray, the boycott is over!!!
    NOLA
  • Here's my follow up after they looked at the device.  I may just invest in a Stoker..they seem to last longer ..

Hello Tyler,
    I have your Cyber Wifi in and determined that you need a new circuit board. The cost of a new circuit board is $85.00 plus shipping $10.50 so your total will be $95.50. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.
    Thank you

Donna Whitaker Kelly
    The BBQ Guru
    357 Ivyland Road
    Warminster, Pa. 18976
    1-800-288-4878 ext. 255