Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you brine?

Options
I am a firm believer in brining my poultry before i smoke them.  I have a large bucket for turkey and a smaller plastic tupperware dish for a single chicken.  I am thinking of doing a couple of spatchcocked chickens this weekend, and I got to thinking what would i use to brine them.  The turkey bucket would be too big, and the tupperware is too small.  

My question for my fellow eggheads is this: What container do you use to brine your meat?
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• fadax
    fadax Posts: 32
    edited February 2014
    Options
    www.thebriner.com
    Milano-ITALY
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Options
    +1 on the briner. get the regular and the Jr. 
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    Options
    I am assuming the regular will hold a turkey, but will the JR hold more than one chicken?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • LBC Dawg
    Options
    yeah you can get probly 3 big chickens i'd say. 
  • LBC Dawg
    Options
    maybe not 3 big ones. maybe 2. could get a few of the organic style birds in it. 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    For one chicken I use a plastic 1 gallon pitcher, works well.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I have a package of large zip lock bags that work well.  Put them in a pan in the fridge in case of leaks.  If the bird had salmonella contamination it goes away when the bag is trashed.  No issues with cleaning container.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Stay with me on this...when I brine a turkey or a turkey breast or multiple yard birds I use this large water cooler, but not the way you think. Instead I place the poultry in a food safe plastic bag, pour in my brine mixture, seal and then place in this cooler. Then I fill the cooler with cold water and ice if need be depending on the time of year. That way the meat and brine are suspended in the brine inside the bag(s) further suspended in the cold water. Then to make it easy to monitor the water temperature I tape the tip of a cable type thermometer inside the cooler, put the lid on and place the thermometer brains outside. This method has been working for me for years and saves having to make so much brine!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I use a cooler.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    Just curious what solution everyone is using?  Do you ad spices or just straight salt and water?  How long?  I've never done it and going to try it soon.  Thanks for the help.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Im using Oakridge game changer brine on about 40 wings as we speak. They are in a big ziplock.
    Then secret weapon rub goes on for an hour than onto the egg!!
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    RRP said:
    Stay with me on this...when I brine a turkey or a turkey breast or multiple yard birds I use this large water cooler, but not the way you think. Instead I place the poultry in a food safe plastic bag, pour in my brine mixture, seal and then place in this cooler. Then I fill the cooler with cold water and ice if need be depending on the time of year. That way the meat and brine are suspended in the brine inside the bag(s) further suspended in the cold water. Then to make it easy to monitor the water temperature I tape the tip of a cable type thermometer inside the cooler, put the lid on and place the thermometer brains outside. This method has been working for me for years and saves having to make so much brine!  

That makes a lot of sense, thanks!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• laserdoc85
    Options
    I have to ask??  Why not just stick the bird in a zip lock bag(2.5 gallon ones) pour your brine in and stick it in the frig? Why use all that cooler mess
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    2 or 2.5 gal zip loc plastic bags is what I use. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Me to,thats why I asked why the other.
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I guess you guys must be pimping me so please go back and reread my post. I said when brining a turkey or even a breast or multiple chickens then obviously I'm talking about potentially taking up a lot of space in the refrigerator. That's why the separate cooler comes into play. Besides I might already have the frig full with beef that I am aging or side dishes. I don't drag it out for a single yard bird and like you I just use a large ZipLoc for one bird. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    RRP said:
    I guess you guys must be pimping me so please go back and reread my post. I said when brining a turkey or even a breast or multiple chickens then obviously I'm talking about potentially taking up a lot of space in the refrigerator. That's why the separate cooler comes into play. Besides I might already have the frig full with beef that I am aging or side dishes. I don't drag it out for a single yard bird and like you I just use a large ZipLoc for one bird. 

Not quit sure what you mean. OP asked what we eggheads use. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I have to ask??  Why not just stick the bird in a zip lock bag(2.5 gallon ones) pour your brine in and stick it in the frig? Why use all that cooler mess

Because you haven't snagged the ziplock bag on that damn chrome piece on the front of the frig shelf, creating a small leak that you don't notice that night.

Yet.

;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.