Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast, Legs and Thighs - skinless

Options
After 2 pork butts and a brisket with burnt ends for the super bowl...I decided to dial things back a bit on the fat-o-meter.

I butchered a whole turkey down to what you see here:

Removed all skin and every piece of fat I could find. Brined in a simple salt and sugar brine for about 12 hours, rinsed and let it dry all day in fridge. I changed wet paper towels several times to soak up all the excess water.

I then hit it with a little EVOO and Mickey's coffee rub:

I have been a wicked good buyer for quite a while and decided to get a load of rockwood online. This is my first cook with it. I wanted something very smoke neutral. I also got to try out the new looftlighter instead of the mapp torch. I like it. 

CyberQ if set to 400. We should be ready to rest and carve the breast for dinner. I will pull the dark meat and remaining breast meat for pot pie leftovers.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    I picked up a couple of cured, smoked turkey thighs that were half off at the grocery yesterday. Put together a faux Portuguese sausage and kale soup last night. Used the turkey thigh for the broth and then pulled the meat off and added chorizo. It was really good! Stopped y a Portuguese bakery tonight and got some chourice so I can make it again.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jimreed777
    Options

Really, really juicy and flavorful. No smoke flavor to speak of from the Rockwood.

I think the real improvement over cooking my turkeys whole spatchcocked and with skin is the fat that drips in the coals and creates smoke for the entire cook.

The rub is fantastic and I am sure this is going to make awesome sandwiches and pot pies.

Presentation and carving be damned. I am going to go skinless for the rest of my turkey and chicken cooks in the egg. I see no benefit of keeping skin on...at least for my family and our preferences.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Never tried w/o skin. But yours sure looks good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    nice

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• jimreed777
    Options

Mickey
    said:
    Never tried w/o skin. But yours sure looks good.
    Have a ton of your rub recipe left. Thanks. Very good stuff.

Those tenderloins pulled right out of the rest of the breast meat.

I cook at least 4 turkeys a year on the egg...and this one was hands down the best result.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I am about like you in that I cook about 4 plus a bunch of just legs (for just me on the legs). But always with skin. Why did you pull skin before  cooking ( my wife pulls hers after the cook and dares me to take it).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    How long did it take at 400? And was it direct and raised? My wife asked me about cooking some turkey recently and I wasn't sure how to do it.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Options
    I always do my chickens skinless…they are always tender and moist. Additionally, the rub is on the meat of the chicken. A healthy and tasty way to cook chicken….I'll try a skinless turkey soon. Thanks for the thread. 
    Fairview, Texas
  • jimreed777
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I am about like you in that I cook about 4 plus a bunch of just legs (for just me on the legs). But always with skin. Why did you pull skin before  cooking ( my wife pulls hers after the cook and dares me to take it).
    Trying to cut some fat and avoid the acrid smoke you get with fat dripping during a direct cook
  • jimreed777
    Options
    maybe took 60 minutes at 400...but I like my legs around 200