Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

22 lbs. of flap

Options
2»

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Ended up using a couple of the smaller ones for chili on superbowl Sunday. Really good texture.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

That's good stuff......I have a butcher that marinates them about 5 different ways.  He uses a "vacuum tumbler".  Here's a picture:   

Oops, link got cut off:  http://grillinfools.com/blog/2013/09/10/c-and-c-butcher-in-ellisville-mo/

Hanger steaks are the ones I'd like to find.

I'll see if I can get the cut chart number for you. My butcher gets them in. I cook them when my sons are around and they never come off the cutting board.

Thanks......

The problem is that there are very few true "butcher shops" out there.  Quite a few just order the cuts from meat distributors.  Not too many left that buy a side and butcher it themselves.  Unfortunately those special cuts need to gain popularity before we seem them regularly.  15 yrs ago not many people had heard of a flank streak, same goes for tri-tip outside of the west coast.

• Little Steven
    Options

Same deal here. Real butchers would keep the hanger to take home. It normally gets ground up but I've been ordering it from butchers for years. A standard case here is about 10 pounds. I've had to do some trimming the odd time depending on which slaughterhouse they come from. I had to give the two butchers I use regularly the cut chart number cause they didn't know what it was.

Real butchers wouldn't sell them. That was to take home. They are often called Butcher steak

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    Options
    Flap meat is most cooked beef at my place. Versatile, cheap, taste like beef should and tenderness always great. My two fave recipes for flap are rajas steak tacos or steak salad with arugula and grilled tomatoes