Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Away for 5 months what's the first thing you would cook?

Options
So I've been deployed for five months now and will be getting back to the states here in a few weeks. Can't wait to get back on my egg and cook some real food. I ordered just about everything possible on CGS so all those new toys will be waiting for me! What the first thing you would cook after eating canned and frozen food for 5 months?

Suntree, FL

Comments

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    Steaks or Burgers.......classic home food!  Then move on to the low and slows!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• BBQBiezy
    Options
    Yeah feeling the steak. I have 10 pounds of veal bones on order to make some homemade veal demiglace for the steaks.

Suntree, FL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @BBQBiezy-first up thank you for your service.  And welcome aboard.  Now, to answer your question, You know what your favorite BGE food was before you left so go with that.  Or go with the thick dry-aged steak. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BBQBiezy
    Options
    @lousubcap I appreciate that and thanks for the welcome. It really is an honor and privilege to serve our country. I need to research dry aging steaks never really tried it. 

Suntree, FL

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

An early welcome home and appreciate your service!!

I'd probably throw on a really good filet ASAP when you get back, then do some baby back ribs or a pork butt (or both!) the next day.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    @BBQBiezy, I also thank you for your service.  If it was me, I'd be craving either a big bone-in ribeye, or some prime rib with the horseradish and fixings with a side of either bacon wrapped shrimp or Green Lightning shrimp on a skewer.  I'd also have a side of a tall Crown and Tea with a lemon wedge.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • jonnymack
    Options
    A hearty thank you for your service. 

#1-Steaks
    #2-Ribs
    #3-Wings to diet down from the previous two cooks
    #4-Repeat steps 1-3
    #5-Continue your heroic service
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    I'd do a brisket, just jump right back in!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Thank you for your service! Big juicy burger and cold frosty beer
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options

Something higher heat to clean out the insides.  Also I would do simple and good, so steaks sound good.  Or do something they didn't have where you served.

Thank you for your service as well.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Steak!

Thanks for your service.
  • GaryLange
    Options
    Welcome Home for sure and thank you for your service. Never heard that when I came home so I like to let you all know I appreciate what you do for us. If you were close to me I'd have a big old Prime Rib Roast with Asparagus, Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Fresh Baked Bread waiting for you.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options

First thank you for your service. After 5 months of no egging I think anything will be good.

My son has been deployed for a little over a year and is due home at the end of the month so I will be egging a big meal when he gets back.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    edited February 2014
    Options
    =D>  Thank you for your service!

Steaks, grilled asparagus, mashed potatoes, cornbread and an ice cold beer!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Welcome home.

Ribeyes...

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • EggoMatic
    Options
    @BBQBiezy thanks for your service to our country and protecting our freedom. What branch of service are you in? If it was me coming back I would be making some spare ribs and chicken. Can't beat that!
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Brisket! Welcome home and Thank You for your service. I served with the USN and I always looked forward to some good (ney great!) BBQ when I got back to the states. Enjoy whatever you decide to make :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It doesn't matter...thanks
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Options
    I say Ribeye or Spatch Chicken
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Air Force?

I'd do beef chuck ribs or a snake river farms brisket.

My last deoyment I came home to an xl egg.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    2" thick prime NY Strip followed up with about 6 racks of ribs!! Thank you so much for your service!!
    XL BGE
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options

A big ol piece of Alaskan salmon with some asparagus and sweet potato.  Beverage of choice.  Thanks for your service.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    A prime cut ribeye and baked potato on the egg. No question about that
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Thanks for your service! My favorite cook @ the moment on my Egg is Lemon Pepper Wings. It's an awesome recipe! I fix them rather often and we just gobble them down every time. My mouth waters just thinking bout them. A rack of Spare Ribs, STL style, would come in a close 2nd.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Options
    Thank you for your service.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Welcome home and thanks for your service. I'd start with a CI seared filet, followed by a pulled pork.
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Thank you for your service. I would want one of everything. Fill the egg with a variety (steak, hamburgers, pork chops, sausage, shrimp, and chicken) that would help in the decision making and the next day ribs and pulled pork. Enjoy ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Thank you for your service Sir! First up would be chicken bombs and then a standing rib roast!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Thanks for your service my good man.  Just do what sounds good at the time.  I'd probably go with a quick cook myself, but maybe you use the Egg as therapy as many of us do so whatever is most convenient at the time you get home. God bless and thanks again. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Appreciate the sacrifice you and your family make to protect our freedoms...Thank you...

For me, it would have to be a big olé burger...then all the stuff mentioned above...

Thanks again
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...