Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DO YOU CRINGE ?

Every time I go to the store and see somebody walking out
with a bag of Matchlight Briquettes I almost puke.
I feel so sorry for these people and their friends and family
LBGE
Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA

Comments

• Ignorance is bliss...

Suntree, FL

• I cringe almost every time I'm at a friend's house and they a grilling, regardless of the meat or type of grill, after all the science and techniques I've learned being involved in this forum.  I want to steal their tongs and just tell them let me do it, lol.
    Pentwater, MI
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386

I cringe almost every time I'm at a friend's house and they a grilling, regardless of the meat or type of grill, after all the science and techniques I've learned being involved in this forum.  I want to steal their tongs and just tell them let me do it, lol.
    And then sometimes you get surprised.....Went to a relatives house last wk-end for steaks and he cooked some beautiful fresh cut New York Strips about 1 3/4 thick.  Cooked these on a gas grill.  Once he put on the steaks on he very rarely closed the lid.  Flipped over several times.  I was just sitting there thinking these are going to be terrible.  Low and behold after about 20 mins of this he pulled them off and when we ate them they were great.  Perfectly cooked and juicy.  Not sure if it was luck or not but they were great.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Nah, not at all! I know some people who put out some mighty fine food with their match light or fluid dosed briquettes. There are many ways to skin a cat and heat is heat after all the ugly stuff burns off.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    It's more the skill of the cook than the tools. Had some mighty good eats from gassers, briquettes and campfires over the years. At least they were buying charcoal. I don't know a singe person who even uses it!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Every time I go to the store and see somebody walking out

I am absolutely amazed how much of that and lighter fluid I see at BBQ competitions.

I do not compete, but I do attend them to visit with customers and the teams we sponsor.  Over the past few years, the amount of briquettes has decreased--close to half are using lump.  But a majority is still using the briquettes, and a good portion of those are bathed in petroleum.

At least it's an easy way to see which teams are going to place.  :)

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I help a friend of mine cook on a large pull behind smoker/grill (homemade) and he takes a 20lb bag of charcoal (lit with lighter fluid) for a base for his cook.  Then we set up a burn barrel with oak and hickory and feather over the charcoal for the rest of the cook.  Mighty fine groceries if you ask me.  As someone stated "heat is heat". 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Everybody has to start somewhere. When I swore off cooking with gas years ago the first step into the world of charcoal was a bag of matchlight on a weber kettle. Learning more over the years I've moved on to a LBGE and hardwood lump. The way I look at it that person is a potential egg owner in a few years.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    I guess I just have better friends - they all have eggs or kamodo style cookers!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• cazzy
    edited February 2014
    fence0407 said:
    I guess I just have better friends - they all have eggs or kamodo style cookers!
    I have a lot of friends who cook with nothing but oak, no lighter fluid, and can turn out incredible food.  Saying your friends are better because they use a kamodo style cooker is silly.  BBQ is BBQ and we are not better because we choose to egg.  The world of BBQ is much bigger than eggs.   

Flexibility and ease of use drew me to the egg.  I'm pretty certain that I will be the owner of a huge offset pit made from a propane tank one day.  
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    I cringe every time my co worker tells me he made the greatest ribs ever with his 1-1 method.  1 hour in the oven and 1 hour on the gasser. "Give um a little shake and the meat falls right off"
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • cazzy
    BREWnQ said:
    I cringe every time my co worker tells me he made the greatest ribs ever with his 1-1 method.  1 hour in the oven and 1 hour on the gasser. "Give um a little shake and the meat falls right off"
    I have a similar friend who thinks longer is better.  "Dude, come try this 36 hour smoked brisket!!!"

"no thanks John, I just ate!"
  • Every time I go to the store and see somebody walking out

Sometimes when you are cooking at the beach lets says, and  don't  want to haul the egg to the sand, those matchlight work great in 15-20 mph winds..... Different problems necessitate different solutions.
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Thought I was dying one night after I ate so much steak one night at a friends house on weber with briquettes have  to give him credit it was unbelievable .
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited February 2014
    I know I probably will get burned at the stake for saying this, But I think pulled pork off my homemade stick burner is better than pulled pork from my egg. So I cook butts four hours on the stick burner then finish in the egg.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• cazzy said:
    BREWnQ said:
    I have a similar friend who thinks longer is better.  "Dude, come try this 36 hour smoked brisket!!!"

"no thanks John, I just ate!"

My boss has a bubba keg and thinks the same way.  "Try this pork."  "I just ate, maybe just a bite.  How many times did you say you added charcoal?"

In all seriousness, I try not to judge, you just never know one's circumstances.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Before I got my egg, I thought I was the man cooking on my weber grill while using briquettes and lighter fluid. For those who agree - I know you all felt the same way. I like to think I gotten a while lot smarter with my cooking skill set since owning my egg. The non egg owners will eventually find out what they are missing once they eat something that was made from the egg.
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I don't let stuff like that bother me. Life's too short and I'm just going to do my own thing anyway. :)
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • shadowcaster
    shadowcaster Posts: 620
    edited February 2014
    I have to admit that there have been times I have bought the small bags of it to take it on the river with us for our shore lunches. It comes in handy in the winter during the steelhead run. Plus we always forgot the chimney so if we get the match light it makes it a possibility to light. I will say that I have never used lighter fluid when cooking on my weber. I always used a chimney or an electric starter
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    cazzy said:
    fence0407 said:
    I have a lot of friends who cook with nothing but oak, no lighter fluid, and can turn out incredible food.  Saying your friends are better because they use a kamodo style cooker is silly.  BBQ is BBQ and we are not better because we choose to egg.  The world of BBQ is much bigger than eggs.   

Flexibility and ease of use drew me to the egg.  I'm pretty certain that I will be the owner of a huge offset pit made from a propane tank one day.  

If I had room for a trailer mounted offset here, I think it would be on my wishlist.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    edited February 2014
    cazzy said:
    fence0407 said:

It was just a joke. Good food is good food - period.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• cazzy
    fence0407 said:
    cazzy said:
    fence0407 said:

It was just a joke. Good food is good food - period.
    Glad we're on the same page!     ;)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I just try to be a gracious guest :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • WeberWho? said:

I'm fat and eat everything. Gasser, bresquet

Testify...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • I've had good food prepared in almost every way imaginable. Do I prefer things off of the Egg most of the time... Yes. But I've had very good meals cooked on everything from a wood fire stove to a electric oven to a grill. If the cook knows what to do then the meal will turn out. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    At the end of a 3 day fast I had a cup of Swanson's chicken broth warmed in the microwave. Sher-bear and i still talk about how it was one of the best things we ever tasted.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited February 2014

WeberWho? said:

I'm fat and eat everything. Gasser, bresquet

Testify...
    Accidentally hit submit when writing it. Was going to name off a list of all different type of grills I would eat food off but realized I would probably eat food off a cars hot engine block if that's how we were cooking meat that day. So I just simplified my answer
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • cazzy
    henapple said:
    At the end of a 3 day fast I had a cup of Swanson's chicken broth warmed in the microwave. Sher-bear and i still talk about how it was one of the best things we ever tasted.
    Dude!  The best burger i've ever had was a Double Quarter Pounder w/ cheese from McDonalds about 17 years ago.  It was after 6 months of giving up meat and it tasted freaking fantastic!
  • cazzy
    edited February 2014
    I've had good food prepared in almost every way imaginable. Do I prefer things off of the Egg most of the time... Yes. But I've had very good meals cooked on everything from a wood fire stove to a electric oven to a grill. If the cook knows what to do then the meal will turn out. 
    I told @henapple on Sunday that I'm not as egg hardcore as most people on the board when it comes to making everything on the egg.  I love to cook, not just BBQ, so I look at the egg as just another cooking tool.  I use whatever tool that helps me best accomplish my cook.  If that's the egg, great!  If not, I'm perfectly fine with using my stove, oven, immersion circulator, or deep fryer.  Everyone of yall can make the best steak you've ever made on your stove with a cast iron pan, spoon, and some butter.  That's what I do if I make 1 or 2, but if I need 10...time to get my egg on!   ;)