Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooler for my FTC this weekend

Options
I can't afford a Yeti or a Pelican ... can I assume a good Igloo or Coleman will do the trick?
I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Any cooler will work-obviously the more insluated the cooler and wrapped food the longer the FTC window.  Double foil wrap your target meat then use towels to fill as much of the cooler void space as possible and you should get 3-4 hours easily and likely more. Edit:  You can pre-warm your cooler with hot water to raise the cooler starting temp if you are looking for a protracted FTC period.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BBQBiezy
    Options
    Preheat your cooler with boiling water too. Sometimes I will roll a couple towels and soak up some of the hot water as a little heater.

Suntree, FL

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    What are you planning to cook? If pork butt, FTC is unnecessary. Unless you are not yet ready to serve when it's done. I think I used a cooler once, just a cheap Igloo where the lid wasn't even insulated. Worked fine for 3-4 hours. Tasted almost as good as butt pulled immediately after cooking. Not quite. But almost.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Man.. Don't worry about getting a Yeti or whatever... Find a dang old Igloo, wrap your meat good (double, you can afford to for not buying a Yeti), towel it, and be done.  Save your money. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    A cheap bag cooler worked for me.
    Seattle, WA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Reading into some of these threads will flat put you in the poor house if aren't careful. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Thanks  ... lots of great info. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    I used a crappy styrofoam one that came with a Omaha Steak gift the other day.  I wrapped butt in towel, put it in the styrofoam.  2 hours later when I took it out was still quite hot.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Hospitals transport human organs in the Igloo's with the push button open tops so I think they will do the trick for a 3 hour FTC Butt.  I bought my Yeti for other reasons mostly for keeping things cold over long weekends, and as a seat.  They are great but not needed for 3 hours.  I suspect you could just FTC the butt and it would still be hot enough 3 hours later.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Man.. Don't worry about getting a Yeti or whatever... Find a dang old Igloo, wrap your meat good (double, you can afford to for not buying a Yeti), towel it, and be done.  Save your money. 
    This guy's right. If you remember to wrap your meat good, you'll be able to afford a lot of things. Kids are leeches!

Wait... I don't think that what we were talking about...
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    This guy's right. If you remember to wrap your meat good, you'll be able to afford a lot of things. Kids are leeches!

Keep it wrapped playa.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I wet a towel and microwave it. Put it over the foiled meat. Presto.
  • Justacookin
    Options

DoofusOfTheDay · agree best coolers around for free, did not do the large print on purpose now you  all know why I don't post picks. everyone accused me of having a mini someday I will figure it all out.

XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Sometimes they're ****
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options

As others have said, save the money and get a cheap cooler. If you need to go more than a few hours, heat up and wrap a fire brick and stick it in the bottom of the cooler.  It's kept multiple butts steamin hot for five hours.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I live only a couple miles from the Yeti factory. Could probably get a good discount over there but I don't see the logic of paying that much for a cooler. I know they keep things cold for a long tome and are practically indestructible but I don't see the need for all dat.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    You NEED a yeti! Haha ;-) anything will work, but now that I have a yeti I don't know how I got by without it. Not for FTC but for using it for what it is designed for.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    As said. Just not needed unless you have a timing problem.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    i have 2 igloos that work well for ftc. Although i dont have to ftc often. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD