Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Possible Sunday Cook

Looking to do a cook on Sunday possibly as we may be snowed in all day and wont be running around like a madman like every other weekend.

Looking for a good meal and something that can cook all day without much attention.

Possibly want to do a small pork butt for pulled pork packs for future tacos or whatever.  But I have been craving beef of some sort.  Do not want pepper stout beef or pulled beef but some sort of roast possibly.  I can cook two meats as long as the cook temps/times are similar.  I do not trust the Maverick food probe but the temp probe should be close to working somewhat and I did not buy a controller yet.  I do not want to be checking on the cook all day and want to only check it at say for example the 5 hour mark with the Thermopen to see if its done.  I dont want to check every 30 minutes to see if its done or not.  Meat would go on the Egg in the morning sometime and be ready for evening dinner.  Not going overnight as I want some sleep.

What should I try? 

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    maybe a roast beef of some sort.

I need to be careful on this as my wife will not eat meat if its pink/red.  So as I would love a nice rare roast beef she wont go for it. 

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited February 2014

Here's a different approach.  Scroll down on the linked page to the pork roulade recipe.  The below takes a bit to prep (and you can change up the filling) but will cook in around an hour:

http://www.bubbatim.com/Pork_Cooks.php FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • robnybbq
    That looks good - Tenderloin or plain old tough loin?

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @robnybbq-the meat in the recipe is a loin but when you slice it to unroll it it's not tough.  Other's do the same variety of cook using the tenderloin so you could take your choice.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • robnybbq
    Ok thanks.  I have cooked tenderloins (whole) and they are very good - I cooked a few "loins" for friends once as I was raving about the "Tenderloin" ones as I did not know the difference.  I was very embarrassed by the expressions on their faces as they were chewing and chewing and chewing the meat.  I did not like it either. 

Garnerville, NY
  • Do you have dutch oven?  A good beef stew is always nice on a cold wintery day.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• robnybbq
    yes I have a 6qt DO.  Wouldn't a stew require some standing over the cook to make?

Garnerville, NY
  • Just a little at first when browning the meat.  After all the other ingredients are in, I'll usually just give it a quick stir every now and then.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I'd find around a seven pound brisket flat and do that.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• robnybbq
    edited February 2014
    Just a flat - rubbed and smoked or braised (cooked in liquid)?

If I did a brisket I guess I could try a 5 lb pork butt and a 7 lb brisket cooked at 275 - Guessing 10 hours approximately? I know cook til done but need to plan.  Want to start the cook around 7-8 AM and eat around 5-6PM and not 10 PM.

I also have been wanting to try a corned beef smoked on the egg.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    The plan is to go to BJ's tongiht and if not then the supermarket.  If I can get a decent sized brisket I will try and cook a brisket and a pork butt.  Plan is 250-275 on the Egg.  Lighting at ~6:00 AM.  Meat on by 7.  Let us go until the meat hits ~165 internal then wrap in foil and some liquid (beer/juice/coffee?) and continue to cook until 200.  I am guessing this should all be done between 2 and 4 PM.  Will leave in the foil in a cooler until we serve. 

Inviting some neighbors over as we are supposed to be getting snow so I hope it comes out great.

Garnerville, NY
  • Large chuck roasts are also excelent cooked as you described above if you cannot find a brisket that is to your liking.
  • Large chuck roasts are also excelent cooked as you described above if you cannot find a brisket that is to your liking.
  • robnybbq
    Would the chuck roasts be cooked to 200 for slicing?  or a lesser temp. 

Garnerville, NY
  • 200 is slicing temp, at least in my experience.
  • robnybbq
    OK - Do not want pulled beef.

Garnerville, NY
  • You may want to start giving the fork test for tenderness around 190-195, but I've got to 205 with chuck roasts and sliced them.
  • robnybbq
    OK got a 6.7 lb Brisket flat and a 6.2lb pork butt.

Dear Egg Gods,

Please grant me a day where we can use the Egg and not have to run around all day like usual. 

Thanks

Rob

Garnerville, NY