Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Don't be scared of Chicken Wings!

If you have experience with whole chicken wings then you'll probably think this post is stupid but if you can't pick on yourself....

Anyway, I bought a pack of 30 wings from BJ's Warehouse to make during the Superbowl.  I get home to prep them and to my amazement, they are whole wings.  I initially thought that I could just cook them whole but I embraced the challenge.  Thanks to the google machine I was able to break them down in no time and they turned out great!  My 30 wings went to 60 wings just like that.  I wish I would've snapped a picture of my face when I saw the whole wings.  Anyway, I know its dumb but I was happy when my SWMBO said, "You did a great job, they actually look like wings from a restaurant!"  
BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 8,336
    Great job!! I too found myself in the same scenario two years ago when i was getting ready for Salado.

Since then, I actually find I get better results by just cutting off the tips. They are easier to maneuver on the grill as it's easy to know which ones you've flipped and what not. Post cook, it's even easier to cut them in half at the ball joint.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Thanks!  I like the idea of just cutting the tips off and then breaking them down post cook. I will try that next time.  
    BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC
  • Nice, well done1
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • saluki2007saluki2007 Posts: 1,182
    +1 for cutting the tips off.  Another helpful thing is to place all the wings on the grill the same way (face up or down) that way you can tell which ones you have flipped and which ones you have not.  Always surprised at how many people don't think of that.
    Large BGE
    Morton, IL

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,077
    Great tip.  I found this from @NibbleMeThis a while back that gives great instructions on cutting them.

Like @Cazzy though I usually just leave the whole; especially if I am cooking for the fam.  For parties/apps I still cut them in advance in to the paddles and drummies to make them more "appetizer size".  Although, i might just consider doing it post cook next time. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,071
    As others have said, there's nothing wrong with cooking them whole. You can even leave the tips on if you are feeling super lazy. And they do break down easier post cook then pre-cook. Gee I love wings. And tots. Don't forget the tots! :x

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    If you don't leave them whole toss them in a bag with the chicken back bones you have removed, all those of us who spatchcock, and you have the start of a great chicken stock!
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • smbishopsmbishop Posts: 1,157
    I follow thirdeye's method:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1997/05/chicken-wings.html

Turn out great every time!
    Large, Small, and a LOT of Eggcessories!  Southlake, TX
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,077
    smbishop said:
    I follow thirdeye's method:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1997/05/chicken-wings.html

That is a pretty cool "twist" on the chicken wang.  They are whole, but the foreskin of the wang is removed.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• saluki2007saluki2007 Posts: 1,182
    smbishop said:

I used to do something like that when all I had was the gasser.  I would throw the whole wing in the pot and boil it though, then throw on the grill and bast.
    Large BGE
    Morton, IL