Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Plate Ribs

Options
Shiff
Shiff Posts: 1,835
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
I think I made my best meal yet on my Egg.  There has been some discussion about Plate Ribs recently here on the forum and I decided I wanted to try some.  I made a trip to Restaurant Depot in Philadelphia and they had some in stock which were Superior Angus Beef Plate RIbs. They cost $5.99/pound and they were packed 4 to a cryovac package.  They were very meaty and looked great.

I'm going to try and post pictures even though I had a lot of problems with Photobucket today.  If you are reading this right after I post it, check again in a few minutes while I edit the post and try out some different ways of posting.

I decided to modify the Adam Perry Lang recipe found at http://abc.go.com/shows/jimmy-kimmel-live/news/recipes/adam-perry-lang-short-ribs

I opened the package and took out 2 of the Ribs and froze the rest.  I did a little trimming but not much.  Here is how they looked after trimming:

I applied the mustard sauce and spices and put them on the BGE at 250 (grate) indirect.  Here is how they looked when they went on the BGE:

They cooked this way for 5 hours. At the 3 hour mark they looked like this:

I removed them at 5 hours:

and wrapped them in foil with a sauce inside and back on the BGE for 45 minutes at 275 (grate):

Then they were unwrapped and put back on the BGE for 45 minutes at 275 (grate).

Here is the final picture of the finished rib - nice and juicy and extremely tender:

I'll definitely be getting more of these ribs in the future.

Large BGE
Barry, Lancaster, PA

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man those look good! (followed the link to photobucket and perused the photos).  This is on my "must cook" list. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Shiff
    Options
    I just finished editing and it now has all the pictures and text.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'm going to have to try that...  Looks great!
    NOLA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Awesome.  Thanks for sharing.  Will add this to "Must Try"

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Shiff
    Options
    I have always cooked back ribs before and liked them but they were never exactly what I was looking for.  I knew that regular short ribs wouldn't be right for me either. When I began reading about plate ribs, I realized that these were what I was looking for.

I had had some beef ribs at Blacks in Texas and thought they were back ribs but they looked different.  Now I realize they were plate beef ribs.

Remember to look for the ribs with 3 bones and they should be marked Plate Ribs or Plate Short RIbs. They are not chuck short ribs.  If you have a good butcher who will order for you, I believe the IMPS number is 123A.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Great cook and wonderful results!

I can't pimp this article enough...very informative!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Those look really good.  Moist and meaty - very nice!
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Shiff
    Options
    cazzy said:

That was one of the articles that got me started looking for a source for Plate Ribs.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Nice looking cook. Sitting here at the doctor waiting for my dad to be done with his doc and now I'm hungry! I wonder what the people in the waiting room would do if I started licking my phone. Lol
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Shiff
    Options
    It was hard to wait until they were completely done. They smelled so good and looked great.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Great looking ribs! I'm glad you were able to post the pics.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I had Adam Perry Lang's personally prepared version of this last summer in Los Angeles, where he had a special event running for several weeks at the Jimmy Kimmel location. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven, that's how good it was. Your pictures are gorgeous!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Shiff
    Options
    I think the ribs themselves are great.  I didn't bother with the finishing sauce he uses in his recipe.  These ribs are so good when they are cooked low and slow that they don't need any fancy finishing touches.  I'm just hoping that I can locate more of these ribs.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I agree - those have to be my top cook.   The price you got was awesome - I think I have paid upwards of 8-9$/lb.    Good job on the cook.

Cookin in Texas
  • Shiff
    Options
    boatbum said:

I agree - those have to be my top cook.   The price you got was awesome - I think I have paid upwards of 8-9$/lb.    Good job on the cook.

I didn't know what to expect since these were "Superior Angus Beef".  Restaurant Depot sometimes has both the Angus and non-Angus varieties at different prices.  They had briskets with Angus being $3/pound, Regular USDA Choice at about $2.80/pound, and USDA Select at about $2.50/pound.  Plate Ribs were only available in the Angus variety.  I was just happy to get some.  Will go back later this month and see if they have more.  If so, I will fill up my freezer.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • cazzy
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I paid $4.20 a pound for my beef chuck ribs that were labeled plate short ribs.  Next time, i'm going to hit them with "I would like the price for IMPS#130 and not 123A" and see if they look at me cray.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Shiff said:
    cazzy said:

That was one of the articles that got me started looking for a source for Plate Ribs.
    Yep.  That's what happens around these parts...a cook gets contagious and next thing you know it blows up.  A few did it for me, but I'm glad to see my thread pushed people over the edge.  hah
  • boatbum
    Options

I hate the Angus beef labeling.   In reality - give me a Hereford beef cut anytime.   The Angus beef association has spent tons of dollars promoting that Angus beef is the best.

In reality - most producers tend to grow baldies, which are an Angus Herford cross.

Can say this with certainity:  Angus beef is not worth a premium.   Any breed and be grown to exceed.

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    Options

While I am on a tear......

ok - erased the contents of this post - cause

The original poster showed us the results of an awesome cook.   We need to focus on that success.  So will save my comments for another thread.

Well done with the cook.  Great job Shiff.

Cookin in Texas
  • Shiff
    Options
    Thanks, @boatbum.  We had the leftovers tonight and they were also great - reheated very well.  Still a small piece left for lunch tomorrow.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    That look awesome!  My son BAM BAM will like these. What was the IT when you pulled them out of the foil.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Shiff
    Options

jhl192 said:
    That look awesome!  My son BAM BAM will like these. What was the IT when you pulled them out of the foil.  
    They were about 190.  I was a little surprised that it was so low.  I had checked them several times before and they were around 170 and starting to get very tender in some places and still a little tough in others.  The temperature seemed a little low for such tenderness, but this was my first cook of these type of ribs and didn't know what to expect.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @Shiff Wow Wee!!! Those look awesome! 
    Soon as I finish with Thanksgiving I'm gonna head to RD and buy some beef plate ribs.
    How hard it must be to resist biting into one at the 3 hour mark ;)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Those look amazing, great job!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Texansurf
    Options
    That looks amazing
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Shiff
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    @Shiff Wow Wee!!! Those look awesome! 
    Soon as I finish with Thanksgiving I'm gonna head to RD and buy some beef plate ribs.
    How hard it must be to resist biting into one at the 3 hour mark ;)
    RD sells both Plate Ribs (3 bones)  and Chuck Short Ribs (4 bones). They both cook about the same but I find the Plate Ribs fattier.  The last time I was there, Plate Ribs were about $6.49/pound and the Chuck Short Ribs were about $3.69/pound.

They both cook about the same and taste about the same.  I almost always buy the Chuck Short Ribs now due to fat content and my wife's preferences.

I'll be cooking some this Wednesday night for dinner since my daughter and family are arriving for Thanksgiving.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • BGEagen
    Options
    I'll try this this weekend. Looks like fun and one more recipe to amaze the family! I am guessing I'll have to go to my best butcher shop to find these - correct?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Costco carries them in Az.  Restraunt Depot also carries them.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Shiff
    Options
    @BGEagen, I no longer do the "cover with foil" step and just cook them longer until tender.  You can also just use Beef Chuck Short Ribs for this cook, but I have found they take a little longer to cook.  I've also used the boneless Chuck Short Ribs from Restaurant Depot.  To me, they come out very much like burnt ends from Brisket with less total time.

As Ozzie_Isaac said, some Costco's carry them (mine doesn't).  Restaurant Depot is the best source for me.  If you go to a regular butcher, try to get them to sell them to you without cutting into single ribs. I think the whole slab cooks better.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • BGEagen
    Options
    I'll try Costco thanks. They're apparently also called beef short ribs according to one of my go-to butchers here in St. Louis. I'm going to try our local Luckey's Market and Fresh Thyme as well.