Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8 Pizza's - Dough advice?

Options

I need to do 8 pizzas Friday night for some family and friends that are coming over for my 1 year olds B-day. Sinse I am no expert on dough, I have a question. The wife wants to make the dough today and keep it in the fridge till Friday, can I roll this out tonight, layer them with parchment paper in between and cover with saran wrap? Or will it be fine to roll out Friday, and should be left in dough balls? Not going to be that fun at -22C (-8F). I am pretty sure I can do two at a time with the swing rack, the lower one I guess will just take a few more minutes each time.

Thoughts?

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I would leave in balls and warm and roll out on Friday.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I used to work at a pizza place / deli and we made dough, weighed then out, and stored in the fridge. I would make it today and keep it in dough balls.
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Leave dough balled - either one large batch, or break into 8 smaller balls.   
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Thanks everyone. That is what we will do then. Looking forward to the pizza's!
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    We did about 10 pies for my twins birthday party last year. Toy Story theme. My egg and kitchen turned into Pizza Planet. I'd stretch 3 or 4 crusts and put them on parchment the day of the party. Then let your guests help top the pies. I didn't do this and ended up cooking pizza all day and didn't have time to eat because the pies were gone as soon as they came off the egg.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • BBQBiezy
    Options
    I would ball them up first into your 8 pieces, space out on a cookie sheet coat them with a little bit of oil then cover with plastic wrap. If you were to keep it in a big ball, it would require extra handling the day of your cook. After proofing and resting handling again you would be reactivating the gluten making it harder to strech and shape into your pizzas. 

Suntree, FL

• BBQBiezy
    BBQBiezy Posts: 20
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I just thought of another thing if your doing two at a time. If you precooked the dough a little before topping them it would make it much easier to handle on the swing rack. Plus you would be able to dress all of your pizzas up one right after the other without stretching them out.

Suntree, FL

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    I've done 60+ pies in one night in my wood fired oven. Just make your dough on Thursday, refrigerate overnight, ball on Friday, roll and bake. Don't sweat it man; doesn't take any time to roll a pizza. Just use parchment and you'll be golden.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    Also, as cold as it going to be, I'd have some extra fuel on hand in case you run low towards the end of the cook.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    I do use parchment, think all is good. Will roll out friday as soon as I get home, or the wife will start in the late afternoon, picked up another stone yesterday for 2 on the swing rack. Temp says it will be a low of -24 C still tomorrow night (-11 F). I just hope the wind stays down. I have lots of lump, but i am sure it wont be an issue getting 8 done with one fresh load. No?
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I did 9 for a party find a pizza place that sells dough frozen is fine.
    I paid $2 a ball, your results will taste better and people will enjoy.
    Seattle, WA
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options

SkinnyV said:
    I did 9 for a party find a pizza place that sells dough frozen is fine. I paid $2 a ball, your results will taste better and people will enjoy.

We already made a sh*t load. I will have extra that we can freeze as well. I thought about maybe buying some, but that is as far as that went.