Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best place to buy CyberQ WiFi?

Options
fence0407
fence0407 Posts: 2,236
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
In the market for a wifi pit controller and after reading a lot of the reviews, I've decided to get the CyberQ WiFi from BBQ Guru (unless you convince me to buy the Stoker, or course).

My question - where is the best place (lowest price) to purchase the CyberQ? I called the local Ace Hardware and can get one there for $399 +tax. Does anyone know where the price may be cheaper (online or in-store)? Any sales going?

Thanks!
Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Amazon or ebay closer to 300...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    That being said...let me share my experience...it's time consuming to set up but if you understand your router it's not hard... After setup...it's easy...first time configuration was truly a one time thing for me.

I could never get the email notifications to work...it relies on some weird non secure email... support had been fairly responsive but for the first 3 months they were working on a solution...I never got notified like they promised but I heard it was working again...so i reached out and they sent me the configuration. It still didn't work...After a couple more times of reentering the same steps they figure it's on my isp end because it works in thier lab...even though I can prove my is isn't blocking the ports by sending other mail clients thru them.

It kinda sucks to drag the unit out and do a few min of troubleshooting then send an email and not hear back for a day or so...I finally got pissed and gave up for a while.

In summary I love how the unit controls my pit and to be able to monitor and adjust the temp from My computer IPad or cell...Even remote...but if you need alarm I would keep looking or plan to still use a Maverick.
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    The email thing has been resolved. Just email the support team, and they will send you instructions on setting it up.

Fire Craft was where I got mine... Free shipping, no tax, and I saved a couple of $.

If you have a iPhone or an Ipad, it's not hard to set up the thing...

Let me tell you one thing... Once you use it, you will wonder why anyone would not have one...

There is a thread here where I walked a forum member through a setup...

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The controller alone is just under 300(279 on Firecraft.com) Unless you already have them, you must get the blower too, which adds around 100 bucks. Online its about 380.
  • Letz4wheel
    Options
    I have had both. So far I much prefer the Stoker. It seems like a much more robust unit and it is cheaper :)
    Southern Indiana
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    @theshaytoon...yep...I was aware...tried working with them again, got the instructions. .still no go...wish it worked...

Still worth it imo...just still not quite working as advertised
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    Contact stlcharcoal.  He carries more than Rockwood lump.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Hi @Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic,

It looks like they use SMTP that is not secure like you stated (does not use SSL).  I googled and found this solution with a couple of references to free SMTP Service sites.  Hope this might help.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    @Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic I put in the settings and it works great... Even have it sending a text to my phone instead of an email...

Have you made sure the gateway settings as well as the DNS servers are set in the wifi section?

There is a new firmware that will make things easier, but right now they are testing it.

PM if you want a little help...

Dallas, TX

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Hi @Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic,

It looks like they use SMTP that is not secure like you stated (does not use SSL).  I googled and found this solution with a couple of references to free SMTP Service sites.  Hope this might help.

Is the concern about SSL that someone might eavesdrop on the temperature of your butt?
    NOLA
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    Try Firecraft.com I think the compleat kit is $372.00
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • fence0407
    Options
    Try Firecraft.com I think the compleat kit is $372.00
    Just looked at Firecraft.com. They seem to be the lowest price for the complete set that I can find. My local Ace Hardware is usually good about listening to price matching deals, so I might give that a shot. 

It also seems that people are either a CyberQ fan or a Stoker fan - no in between. 
    Cumming, GA  

• RickyBobby
    Options
    I think if I were going with a Wifi I'd go with the Stoker. Isn't the Stoker capable of controlling multiple pits? Plus, folks just seem to think it looks like a more stout or better built unit. I'm just talking out loud ... means absolutely nothing.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • fence0407
    Options
    @RickyBobby The Stoker does have the ability to control multiple pits. While right now I only have 1 pit to regulate, who's to say the investment of the Stoker might come in handy down the road...? Good thought!

Anyone else have arguing points I should consider?
    Cumming, GA  

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    @theshaytoon thanks sir...I think I have an email string where I was working with support..it kept a running total of all the trouble shooting I did...and you read my mind...turning the email into a text message...that was where I wanted to go...I'll see if I can dig it out and hit you up to compare notes...cyberQ wifi would be 5 stars in my book if I got this piece to work...
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    @smokeypit i did try several of those services right off the bat...none successful...support advised that newer accounts on those services weren't working...seems like many organizations are going away from non ssl...impacting security system industries too...so guru set up thier own non ssl mail server to fix the issue...but I appreciate the feedback.

@buzd504 I hear you...I don't think most cyber thieves are interested in adjusting the temp of my pit...but I think the bigger concern is that the provider dosent know how you will use the service and non ssl traffic is like leaving a door open to vulnerabilities for some a hole to exploit.
  • fence0407
    Options
    Has anyone used the CyberQ or Stoker in conjunction with "The Pit Pal"? Thoughts?
    Cumming, GA  

• buzd504
    edited February 2014
    Options
    @buzd504 I hear you...I don't think most cyber thieves are interested in adjusting the temp of my pit...but I think the bigger concern is that the provider dosent know how you will use the service and non ssl traffic is like leaving a door open to vulnerabilities for some a hole to exploit.

Yeah, the comment was mostly tongue in cheek, but whether or not it can send SSL or TLS secured email is a separate issue as to whether the web interface is SSL enabled (I suspect not).

Regardless, it seems like a strange limitation.  A basic security implementation for SMTP communication is fairly trivial, especially if your hardware is already running an embedded web server.

I expect I will be getting one of these in the not too distant future, so I'm curious how this gets resolved.
    NOLA
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    edited February 2014
    Options
    @fence0407  That's the combo that I use (cyberQ and PitPal)...It works great together.  You can then Export the data to MS Office or Google Docs and create charts like this...

Dallas, TX

• fence0407
    Options
    @fence0407  That's the combo that I use (cyberQ and PitPal)...It works great together.  You can then Export the data to MS Office or Google Docs and create charts like this...

Great to hear you are liking the combo. I wish there were some videos on YouTube that showed the combo in action. Either way, everything I've read/seen looks like it'd work great. I'm not able to see the exported chart you attached though...can you try sending again? Thanks!
    Cumming, GA  

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    I am not sure how exciting a video would be...I guess I could make one of how the PitPal works, but why don't you download it and just play with it a little...it's free, and it works just as well even without the cyberQ hooked up to it...

I would encourage you to go ahead and purchase the full blown version if you do go with it...it's $1 and there is some guy out there that spent his time developing it.  

click here to see the chart...

Dallas, TX

• fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @TheShaytoon! I keep going back to the Stoker though. I'm horrible at making my mind up and the more I read on both units, the harder it gets!
    Cumming, GA  

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    I've never used the Stroker... I don't think it will make a beans difference which you pick, either pit controller is going to make things much easier.  

Dallas, TX

• buzd504
    Options
    I've never used the Stroker... I don't think it will make a beans difference which you pick, either pit controller is going to make things much easier.  

I highly recommend the Stroker.
    NOLA
  • fence0407
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Just bought the CyberQ from Firecraft.com!  :D
    Cumming, GA  

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    @fence0407DUDE!!!! I was just about to comment and tell you to buy the Stroker instead...just kidding!  let me know if you need some help setting it up...

Dallas, TX

• fence0407
    Options
    @TheShaytoon LOL! Well I finally just decided for whatever reason that the CyberQ would work for me. Can't wait to get it and will let you know if I need some help with setup. PS - Dallas (Plano) is my old stomping grounds. I'm a High Plains Drifter (born in Amarillo, TX)!
    Cumming, GA  

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    @fence0407 I "grew up" in Richardson!  

Dallas, TX

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    edited February 2014
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    Just bought the CyberQ from Firecraft.com!  :D

You will really like it. My wife got me one for Christmas and I have used it 3 times and its awesome.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• fence0407
    edited February 2014
    Options
    @TheShaytoon - love the Dallas area! Still have family who lives there and love to visit.

@RAC - mine is an anniversary gift from my wife (we did good, huh?) I can't wait to give it a shot. What was your experience like in setting everything up? Smooth?
    Cumming, GA